Are Pokers Unpopular?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, there's two Sav 310 pipes on Ebay going on right now.

My pipe mentor, the late Walter Bradford (pipe man & tobacconist of Birmingham, Alabama, ca, 1973) smoked nothing BUT pokers. He may have had some that weren't Dunhills, but I don't remember them.

:face:

I have a Peterson poker that I just love. It came in a Mark Twain two pipe set. I don't know for sure whether the poker is sold on its own but I would hope so.

I have a Parker Poker. Great Pipe, love it. Personally I adore the shape. Classic!

A poker shaped pipe I own is the Charatan "TON" 485 DC of which I own two. One a black shell type Relief Grain and the other a smooth Special . They are a Charatan grp4 sized pipe which were a bit larger than the corresponding Dunhill grp size and both of mine are some of the nicest smokers I have. If you can watch the Charatan estate pipes as they come up for sale often from what I've seen. Stay with the older Lane era pipes if you can as they were the better ones, finish and smoking wise.
Charatan Special "Ton"

CharatanSpecial484DC.jpg

There was a thread on here recently that asked people what pipe shape they really disliked. I was astounded by the number of folks who hated pokers. I couldn't fathom it, and remember thinking to myself "I don't understand where they care coming from. It's such a brilliant classical shape. How can anyone dislike it?" I thought at the time that maybe I just marched to the beat of my own drummer on this one, but am relieved to see the outpouring of love for the shape here.

I think Briar Boy has a nice looking Neerup Poker he would like to get rid of.

Might be gone by now.

lots of stores stock the Stanwell and Neerup pokers and smokingpipes search bar is awesome

Wow, excellent outpouring of Poker Love! Thanks all, for pointing me in the right direction. When I find one (and buy one) I'll be sure to post pics.

IndySmoker":bmkm7e84 said:
lots of stores stock the Stanwell and Neerup pokers and smokingpipes search bar is awesome
Didn't know about the search feature on smokingpipes until now. Thanks, man!

Those are interesting, Doody. Pictures when you get both of them. :twisted:

8)

Kyle: I can't afford both of those AND the spousal and child support court orders that would be a direct result of their purchase :p

However, for Christmas I did get two gift certificates to my local B&M Watch City Cigar (GREAT place, btw) and tonight I picked up a new poker:

cassan11.jpg

It's a Cassano (a maker I'd never heard of before) Mare 1460. It's BIG around and super-craggy. It feels quite robust in the hand - unlike my Sav 310, which doesn't have a ton of 'heft' to it. First bowl was a rousing success (Watch City's Christmas 2012 blend)!

Doody

Mr. Doody":3teuoazy said:
Kyle: I can't afford both of those AND the spousal and child support court orders that would be a direct result of their purchase :p

However, for Christmas I did get two gift certificates to my local B&M Watch City Cigar (GREAT place, btw) and tonight I picked up a new poker:

cassan11.jpg

It's a Cassano (a maker I'd never heard of before) Mare 1460. It's BIG around and super-craggy. It feels quite robust in the hand - unlike my Sav 310, which doesn't have a ton of 'heft' to it. First bowl was a rousing success (Watch City's Christmas 2012 blend)!

Doody
I like that a LOT! How much did that set you back? I smoke on a (reasonable) budget too.

Pokers are probably my most favorite shape. Just a comfortable shape IMHO to smoke with and a classic shape. The vast majority of pipes that I have had carved for me by various carvers have been Pokers.