Authors and Bulldogs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I may...

Authors...

005-1.jpg

and Bulldogs (the Peterson's 2nd from the top is probably actually a Rhodesian)...

004-1.jpg

Wow; I need to get out my Walker Briar Works stem cleaning kit (which really works, by the way!).

Idlefellow,

Thank you for truly showing me what the differences between the pipes are. I'm still torn as to which one I like more. Very impressive collections of each type as well.

Idlefellow":cwkbl11i said:
If I may...

Authors...

005-1.jpg
Idlefellow:  What make is that top pipe?  I just sold one of an identical shape, it was stamped Dorset.

I would also check out some rattrays payless pipes has some as does cup o joes

I personally have not yet purchased a rattrays but I think I am going to soon

I second checking out cup o joes I order a lot of my stuff from them

I've added a few bulldogs to the rack this year, two of my favorites:

Charatan 109 (I've never seen another in this shape number)

Comoys 331C, this one is in the mail, it needs a little work.

Sasieni Grosvenor Four Dot

riff raff":s3jujqtc said:
I've added a few bulldogs to the rack this year, two of my favorites:

Charatan 109 (I've never seen another in this shape number)

Comoys 331C, this one is in the mail, it needs a little work.

Sasieni Grosvenor Four Dot

I'm in love with your Sasieni, lovely pipe :lol: 

Bulldog is my #1 choice and I have 9 already, will push it up to a dozen over time.

Bro Riff, you really like your GBD's hey?! I see you've got some beautiful examples in your collection.

SpeedyPete":1th99s2t said:
Bro Riff, you really like your GBD's hey?! I see you've got some beautiful examples in your collection.
Yep, I'm a big 9438 fan. Another is enroute, I hope, it's in the "Collection" album.

riff raff":m2xdm8kx said:
SpeedyPete":m2xdm8kx said:
Yep, I'm a big 9438 fan.  Another is enroute, I hope, it's in the "Collection" album.
I have a 9488 New Standard which is a pot with square shank and stem. It's not behaving like I'm used to by a GBD. It seems as if the only tobacco it likes is latakia blends. Now the problem is I don't smoke a lot of English blends anymore since I discovered VA's and Vapers. So this pipes lives a fairly lonely live here by me. I really feel sorry for the old chap.

Fr_Tom":0ekvoyq8 said:
I am very fond of the Rhodesian and bulldog shapes. The lines of a Peterson 999 are very nice to my eye and I have one I like despite the small bowl.
Agree. Great minds think alike (Oh Lord it's hard to be humble)

Member "Harloock"had a great, ongoing thread here on Bulldogs & Rhodesians. I dont think he has posted in a while.

As we all know, this is a Bent Bulldog:

and this is a Bent Rhodesian:

and this is a Bent Rhodesian , but ONLY in the world of The White Spot ie Dunhill :twisted: :twisted: 

Wow! Such great photos from you guys. I really enjoy the Savinelli 320s in all finishes; it just seems to smoke well, hold well, and clench well. I'm also a big fan of Peterson's bulldogs in the Sherlock Holmes series. They're all such classically beautiful pipes. I don't think anyone can go wrong smoking a bulldog or author.

Some things for you to cogitate --

The Sav 320 author is quite the chunky pipe. Which means it's relatively heavy and, in this design, the bit doesn't get universal praise from clenchers. However, if it's the apple -- make that author -- of your eye, the Rossi 8320 is the same design but cheaper (Rossi pipes are made by Savinelli). Visit smokingpipes.com.

The Peterson 999 and s80 are wonderful pipes and available in either p-lip or fishtail, rough or smooth, plain or blinged up. I own several of each and they are, to me anyway, just the right size and like any tobacco I put through them. Light and easy on the jaw, too.

I'd add to the list the Pete 408 which is also available in P-lip or fishtail and in many different iterations. Its design combines author and bulldog features, and I've seen it described as a quarter bent bent apple with a thick-walled bowl. I have five of these and like 'em a lot. (Well, obviously, I guess.) They're also way lighter than the Sav 320s.

Finally, you might visit the Pipeworks and Wilke site. Carole recently replenished her stock of estate pipes which includes a nice selection of bulldogs and what I'd describe as a chubby Butz-Choquin author (see Estate Pipes-11) for $95. There's also an unsmoked Kaywoodie (SH-10) for $45.

While you're there, check out Wilke's Estate 42 Ehrlich. Pretty nice pipe, huh? As we speak it's on its way to a new home here on one of my pipe racks:) Nothing like a new bulldog/author, no matter how many briars are already in the herd.

Happy hunting.

KevinM":zcqgfyzb said:
Some things for you to cogitate --

Nothing like a new bulldog/author, no matter how many briars are already in the herd.

Happy hunting.
Yes sir!! :cheers: 

Kevin, some great observations and interesting pipes.

This BC is a beautiful shape, look at that grain!

11full.jpg

That Erhlich you bought was a great choice, what a beautiful shape

42full.jpg

Sometimes I'm turned off from Wilkes offerings as they seem to restem nearly all of their pipes.  This GBD 549 is a classic GBD bulldog, but without the original brass rondell stem, it's overpriced in my opinion.  

49full.jpg

monbla256":pbggbujk said:
As we all know, this is a Bent Bulldog:

and this is a Bent Rhodesian:

and this is a Bent Rhodesian , but ONLY in the world of The White Spot ie Dunhill  :twisted: :twisted: 

While I'd agree that the contemporary notion of a Rhodesian is as you noted-a round shank-older catalogues or advertisements of British-made pipes other than just Dunhill, noted Rhodesians as diamond-shanked. Earl