Badger brush?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
monbla256":fuoikqga said:
Stick":fuoikqga said:
Mm, fair point Michael.

I wasn't able to open the article mate. You may need to cut and paste the main content?
Let,s see if this works:

http://wetshavingproducts.com/pages/brush-techniques
Yes, got it now Michael, thank you.

Some interesting stuff there. Not sure if I'm convinced about the vinegar bath. In my mind if it was effective the solution should turn cloudy with the soap deposits. Maybe the vid wasn't representative. Worth a go I suppose when the time comes.

I couldn't really say one way or t'other concerning the vinegar bath, but since they make brushes and I don't, I'd have to go with what they state about it till I could prove otherwise. :twisted: :twisted:

I'm not particularly taken by his shapes, but I appreciate his videos a lot. If anyone wants an idea how of how pipe makers make their custom bit blanks, this should interest them as well. The video about the various knots is worth watching, too.

https://www.landlgrooming.com/pages/gallery

Not long after my posts above I decided it was high time to experience a natural bristle.  As others have already alluded to, the price of a good quality badger can make your eyes water so I settled upon a boar bristled Semogue 1520.  It's an attractive hand painted little number that cost approx. £12, placing it at the budget end of the Semogue range.  

It started off being pretty spikey but has softened with time / use and the resulting increasing quantity of split ends.  It didn't smell bad either as some had suggested it might.  I started the breaking in process by standing it in hot water for an hour or so and then going through several cycles of soaping and rinsing before leaving it over night fully soaped up.  After a couple of uses all I could smell was the scent of my favourite soap.

I've been using it for a month or so now and I'm pleased to report that I think it's a great brush.  It's scritchier than the Plisson but not hugely so and serves as a nice alternative to the Plisson when the mood takes.

So, if like me you fancy a natural bristle but don't want to sell a kidney for the pleasure, a boar brush from the Semogue stable is well worth a look.

I'm starting to hate this brush, a Semogue something pig hair. Too soft. Like lathering with a limp mop, or a rag. Are they supposed to splay like this? What if I give it a hair cut? I think drugstore cheapos are the thing for me.

brush_10.jpg
" />

Richard; as I said earlier, Badger is the ONLY way to go !! Here's one that I just got from Wet Shaving Products this year for a reasonable $59.99. :twisted: :twisted:

Richard Burley":lwnyjh0m said:
I'm starting to hate this brush, a Semogue something pig hair. Too soft. Like lathering with a limp mop, or a rag. Are they supposed to splay like this? What if I give it a hair cut? I think drugstore cheapos are the thing for me.
From what I can tell, boar lovers want their brushes to bloom like that.  Heck, almost everyone with boar, badger, horse, or  X hair desire their brushes to bloom.  The problem you're having there is the hair might not be densely packed, so you don't have any backbone, as they say.  I have an Omega boar that is blooming nicely, but it has a ton of backbone, too.  It doesn't flop around at all.  You either got a bad brush, or that particular model is designed to do that.  It's not because it is a boar.  It has less to do with the hair type than the density of the hair packed into the circle.  Another factor would be loft if the hair was taller than it seems to be in that photo, which sort of addresses your question about trimming it.  The shorter the hair, theoretically, the more the backbone you'd achieve.  If I were to trim it, I'd take very little off; like maybe 1mm at a time.

I'd recommend a synthetic.  Most people love them, including many who hate to admit they do a great job and make their $300 Simpson a questionable purchase.  No soaking; get wet and use.  They don't eat lather, which anyone with hard water probably battles.  Inexpensive.  I've been eyeing one of these myself:  http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/maggard-razors-24mm-synthetic-shaving-brush-marble-handle/

Mr. Zeno Marx: Duly noted. Maggard is one of my favorite retailers, and for 12 bucks how can I go wrong? The reviews are enticing. Thank you. (The brush of mine pictured above actually goes flat against my face when wet and soaped up. Ridiculous. Think I'll toss it.)

Richard Burley":m8u3vlyo said:
Mr. Zeno Marx: Duly noted. Maggard is one of my favorite retailers, and for 12 bucks how can I go wrong? The reviews are enticing. Thank you. (The brush of mine pictured above actually goes flat against my face when wet and soaped up. Ridiculous. Think I'll toss it.)
you might be able to sell the handle for a couple bucks. a lot of people are putting their own knots into handles these days. Yank the old one out and epoxy a new one in. heck, if you like that handle, you could do that with the same knot in the brush I posted and save a few bucks. Maggards sells just the knot. That's kind of a neat acrylic handle on yours. Personally, I'd keep it and maybe throw it in a sale, if and when you have any type online sales. It's a shame to think it would hit the garbage.

Zeno Marx":r4ywc30i said:
Richard Burley":r4ywc30i said:
you might be able to sell the handle for a couple bucks.  a lot of people are putting their own knots into handles these days.  that's kind of a neat acrylic handle on that one.  Personally, I'd keep it and maybe throw it in a sale, if and when you have any type online sales.  It's a shame to think it would hit the garbage.
It's resting on an upended whisky glass, so that may contribute to its looks. But you're right--I'll keep it around. But I ordered the synthetic. Couldn't help myself.

Zeno Marx":9bdpyhib said:
...I'd recommend a synthetic.  Most people love them, including many who hate to admit they do a great job and make their $300 Simpson a questionable purchase.  No soaking; get wet and use.  They don't eat lather, which anyone with hard water probably battles.  Inexpensive.  I've been eyeing one of these myself:  

http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/maggard-razors-24mm-synthetic-shaving-brush-marble-handle/
This brush is great! And cheap! Recommended. Plenty of backbone, yet smooth, it's kind of heavy, looks great and "together." PM me your address and I'll buy ya' one. Thanks, Mr. Marx.

The Maggards 24mm brown marble (modeled after a Kent handle) is indeed a wonderful brush. Only a single shave with it, but I can already see it solving my hard water problem. Natural hair + extremely hard water = a pain in the butt. The combination of the two, at least from my hard fought experience, is a soap eater. Not only does this Maggards produce a great lather and feel fantastic on the face, it also uses less soap.

Zeno Marx":u3gsyy69 said:
...Not only does this Maggards produce a great lather and feel fantastic on the face, it also uses less soap.
I agree. Hey, Nick--if soap is a problem, get the great big chunk of Cella that some places sell. You won't have to worry about soap for a long, long time. I prefer D.R. Harris Windsor, mostly for the scent, but the Cella works great for me.

Richard Burley":ora7c4x3 said:
Zeno Marx":ora7c4x3 said:
...Not only does this Maggards produce a great lather and feel fantastic on the face, it also uses less soap.
I agree. Hey, Nick--if soap is a problem, get the great big chunk of Cella that some places sell. You won't have to worry about soap for a long, long time. I prefer D.R. Harris Windsor, mostly for the scent, but the Cella works great for me.
I've tried a few soaps now. Soaps that are known to be easy and good latherers. It's my water. It creates all kinds of problems.

Simpson 3x Commodore was my first brush. IMHO, a good entry level quality brush.

As a diehard face-lather evangelist, my next brush was a behemoth: 30m best Badger, that's very dense and has great backbone. Still WELL under the $100 mark.

I like and have enjoyed both brushes immensely, and especially my progression. There's no use in going out and buying a Kent 12 or Chubby 3 in Super Badger, unless you have money to burn and don't have a problem seeing that money sit next to your bathroom sink. Well, unless you're......well, you know! ;)