Brat Buns

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't bake anything and wifey only bakes cookies, her peanut butter ones are great. So anyone who has extras feel free to send them my way, lol. I do love bread but on my current diet I have to restrict my intake of bread. Soon as I lose another 10 pounds I can go back to eating more. BIG LOL.

I love to make beer bread because it is simple and requires little work and no wait time. Stating the obvious, you can really change it up depending on the beer you use. I don't usually take advantage of that fact because it is hard to throw a nice stout into a bread rather than drinking it, but you get the gist.

I love to make beer bread because it is simple and requires little work and no wait time. Stating the obvious, you can really change it up depending on the beer you use. I don't usually take advantage of that fact because it is hard to throw a nice stout into a bread rather than drinking it, but you get the gist.
I bet the malt in the beer lends a nice sweet/umami flavor. I love malt and Guiness, going on my list to try.

Thanks guys great out of the box ideas here! I think pipe smokers have a different palate, based on what I saw in the coffee thread.

If I had to guess, any one of us could give 10 decriptors of flavor profile for any given food.

We have trained palates from deciphering nuance in tobacco blends and appreciate harmonizing notes that others may miss, as important to the song as the melody.

yeah, that's more complicated than I desire. When I was looking into making my own mother, I thought it was a cool idea to use organic fruit, like apples or grapes, that haven't been washed or waxed and that still have all the natural yeasts and organisms still on their skins. There was a New Scandinavian Cooking episode where he used organic apple skins in his mother, and he claimed he could catch hints of apple in his bread. Also said he had a friend with a 25-year old mother who used organic grapes to start, and he still caught grape notes in his breads.

This is the recipe I use:
https://www.food.com/recipe/beer-bread-73440

yeah, that's more complicated than I desire. When I was looking into making my own mother, I thought it was a cool idea to use organic fruit, like apples or grapes, that haven't been washed or waxed and that still have all the natural yeasts and organisms still on their skins. There was a New Scandinavian Cooking episode where he used organic apple skins in his mother, and he claimed he could catch hints of apple in his bread. Also said he had a friend with a 25-year old mother who used organic grapes to start, and he still caught grape notes in his breads.

This is the recipe I use:
https://www.food.com/recipe/beer-bread-73440
Thanks, Brother! That type of natural starter is called a levain, like sourdough starter, but not sour. A natural yeast always ends up comprised of the yeasts of that particular geography, so my starter would taste different than your starter if we made it the same way. I think that's cool. Also, you can add apple, raisin, honey, and fruit skins to sourdough starter during feeding for flavor.

I've been baking a lot more this year, mostly sweets like pie crusts, cookies, and cakes mixes (if that counts) I made some honey-walnut bars 2 days ago that have mysteriously disappeared...

Unfortunately my wife can't eat gluten and that was quite a hurdle until I figured out that every brand of Gluten Free flour acts differently. Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose GF flour seems to act the closest to regular all-purpose in my experience. I was planning on finally tackling a yeasted recipe today with some cinnamon rolls so I'm glad you made this post!

Any tips on baking at altitude? I'm at 4,500 feet and the humidity is usually around 15% inside the house.

I've been baking a lot more this year, mostly sweets like pie crusts, cookies, and cakes mixes (if that counts) I made some honey-walnut bars 2 days ago that have mysteriously disappeared...

Unfortunately my wife can't eat gluten and that was quite a hurdle until I figured out that every brand of Gluten Free flour acts differently. Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose GF flour seems to act the closest to regular all-purpose in my experience. I was planning on finally tackling a yeasted recipe today with some cinnamon rolls so I'm glad you made this post!

Any tips on baking at altitude? I'm at 4,500 feet and the humidity is usually around 15% inside the house.
https://blog.wilton.com/high-altitude-baking/
Looks like lower temperature bulk ferment is your friend to prevent too much gas being trapped in yeasted breads at that altitude. Lowering the temp of your water will also slow things down.

Chocolate Croissant

Attachments

• 20231221_161443.jpg
    20231221_161443.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 0
Here's a little quick hack if you have kids and want to make cinnamon rolls...or if you don't want to eat the whole batch...and if you have a waffle maker or sandwich press. Grab a tube of those cinnamon rolls that you crack over the counter's edge to open. Squash them in the maker for like 2 minutes. No oven. No mess.

Here's a little quick hack if you have kids and want to make cinnamon rolls...or if you don't want to eat the whole batch...and if you have a waffle maker or sandwich press. Grab a tube of those cinnamon rolls that you crack over the counter's edge to open. Squash them in the maker for like 2 minutes. No oven. No mess.
I always keep a can of those cinnamon rolls on hand and throw them in the air fryer when I'm in the mood. I always feel guilty, like a husband drinking and eating sushi in front of his pregnant wife, whenever I eat gluten in front of my wife though lol!

Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose GF flour seems to act the closest to regular all-purpose
We've been gluten free for many years and finding substitutes was challenging. Bob's Red Mill's products are excellent and King Arthur has some good mixed. Brazilian Cheese Bread is made with naturally gluten free tapioca flour and quesso fresco cheese among other ingredients.