cool and great ashtrays?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
Do you have a favorite ashtray? Or maybe collect old tobacciana ashtrays like some people collect old tin advertising signs? Even something simple and unassuming that has proven to be of great design and functionality?

I realized the other day that I don't have any ashtrays beyond a single amber glass Decatur ashtray like this, minus the cork pipe knocker.
0393b676658f2dca3a4ae7a5ba6877dd--glass-pipes-diamond-pattern.jpg

I used to see so many great cigarette advertising ashtrays when I worked in a pipe and cigar shop, but I never kept any for myself. It's a small regret.

Please post your ashtrays if you feel you have any of note. Thank you.

Heh. I am currently using one exactly like that, minus the knocker. I like it because it's big enough to toss spent matches from the other side of the desk without missing.

My fave and the one I use most often is one of those red & black 7" sq Dunhill ashtrays. Have been using it for almost 30 years now since I got it at a shop that was going out of business at the time. Sorry no pics but Google Dunhill Ashtray and you can see it. They have 'em on e-Prey as well. :twisted:

Richard Burley":4dokhjyg said:
Heh. I am currently using one exactly like that, minus the knocker. I like it because it's big enough to toss spent matches from the other side of the desk without missing.
Because I smoke 100% outside on walks, I don't even use the ashtray as an ashtray. I use it as a pipe rack with pipes sitting in it in a half circle. Yet...I still have this urge to have a few more ashtrays. Pretty much for eye candy, as ridiculous as that sounds even to me. file under: junk that I like (right now).

I liberated one from the Hotel Taft in NY before it was torn down* that I think I can still locate--you know, logo and everything? Sentimental value: it's where my high school senior class stayed on a trip. Collecting ashtrays seems like a harmless pastime, probably not too expensive, and could possibly be quite colorful--like matchbooks. Something from an almost bygone era. Go for it.

*(Apparently it wasn't torn down, but renovated and now called the Michelangelo. Think the one across the street was, though. Can't remember the name. What do I know? I'm an upstate yokel that hasn't been in NY since the mid-'80s.)

Here is one of my favorite ash trays. It belonged to my M-I-L. When she passed away, I inherited it. It was in poor shape when I got it so I reconditioned it. It's from the late 1950's.

Corncobcon":x85vki05 said:
Here is one of  my favorite ash trays.  It belonged to my M-I-L.  When she passed away, I inherited it.  It was in poor shape when I got it so I reconditioned it.  It's from the late 1950's.

Very cool indeed Con, including and especially the heritage!

8)

Cheers,

RR

I love ashtrays and have a bunch of them some that I fitted with knockers I've made from sheets of craft cork. Here are a few that I have pictures of. :shock:
img_0610.jpg
hpim0211.jpg

dscf2611.jpg
img_1112.jpg

dscn3211.jpg

daveinlax":igbbkeqo said:
I love ashtrays and have a bunch of them some that I fitted with knockers I've made from sheets of craft cork. Here are a few that I have pictures of. :shock:
img_1112.jpg
There's my ashtray ! :twisted:

Most of the ashtrays around here were my wife’s grandfathers. He was a cigar smoker from the 40’s until he died in 97. I’m particularly fond of the little copper one. It just covers the top of the Wyoming ashtray if you wonder about size.

thanks for sharing those photos. a by-gone era and household item.

Those are the ones my wife grabbed after he passed away. I shudder to think what ones she missed. Having smoked cigars for 50 years I would imagine that quite a few just got tossed without anyone really even looking at them. Hopefully I’ll have a chance to check out the local “junk” shops in the next couple of months.

Jim

I bought this ashtray from smokingpipes a long time ago. It is the only one I use.
dsc01834-600x337.jpg

I have this Johnnie Walker ashtray...

4MBrWIrl.jpg

and this Troost tobacco ashtray...

rk1wsMyt.jpg

in my study, and a couple of favorite cigar-branded ashtrays outside.

I hadn't thought about liquor related trays. Nice Johnnie Walker.

Found a couple more smaller ash trays. The copper one is from the Grand Canyon pre WW2 is about as close a date as I can put on it. The bottle ash tray is a true piece of Old West history. It was recovered from the remains of a miners cabin. Its a Dr. Price's Delicious Flavoring Extract bottle. It was heated in a fire and pressed down to make a reservoir. Yes indeed this is none other than Vincent Price's grandfathers company that made the extract lol. Also found a tin locket from the late 1700's and included it just for the heck of it.