D&R blends for RYO

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never inhale anything either. Life is too short as it is.

I don't plan on inhaling any of these new things either. It's one reason I was looking for a stout blend...so there would be solid flavor without the need to inhale.

Didn't know Mark made cigars. Any special name or frontmark I should look for? Online vendor?

Blackhorse":x6ohsmlj said:
I never inhale anything either. Life is too short as it is.

I don't plan on inhaling any of these new things either. It's one reason I was looking for a stout blend...so there would be solid flavor without the need to inhale.

Didn't know Mark made cigars. Any special name or frontmark I should look for? Online vendor?
Perique 1881. I'm not sure who sells them. Try contacting Mark: [email protected]

Here's some info on the cigars: http://www.tobacconistmagazine.com/the-other-tabacalera/

From another website:
Tabacalera has a number of cigar brands. There is the Don Juan Urquijo, the 1881, the Tabacalera, the Alhambra, and their latest is the Perique 1881. The Perique 1881 is their newest line and is made with a blend of tobacco leaves that includes the perique leaf. The perique leaf comes from St. James Parish in Louisiana and is known for its deep and robust richness. The perique leaves were offered to Tabacalera by Mark Ryan, owner of L.A. Poche Perique Tobacco and Tabacalera’s U.S. distributor. Perique leaves are difficult to roll into a cigar but the rollers at Tabacalera have managed to master the leaf which allowed them to produce the Perique 1881 line.

Interesting thread, to say the least!!! Had no idea Mark Ryan is affiliated with Tabacalera!! From my Air Force days flying out of Clark AB (among others in the P.I.), I smoked many a Tabacalera. I could still get them through J.R. Cigar for a while in the '80's, then they just vanished!!!. Sittin' by the pool at the Clark Officers Club, puffin' on a big ol' Tabacalera, and quaffing down P.I.-made San Miguel brewskies!! Tough life!!! :D :D :D :cheers: FTRPLT

Blackhorse":0krh1oi8 said:
Ohhh. Memory Lane. I recall suckin' down bottles of San Miguel in the Philippines...guessing it was 1971. I remember I liked it.
mmm San Miguel I remember first having it in Saigon back in '69 as I recall it was good stuff!! That was when I drank. :twisted:

Just started getting paraphernalia and some of the blends in. Got a 70mm roller and three kinds of papers plus the D&R Two Timer, Ramback and Rimbouche SJ...so, a Burley, an Oriental and the SJ VA/Per.

A couple of initial impressions on the blends. My recollection of these was that they were shag fine, near crispy dry, had little character and burned like a blast furnace. Not too charitable, eh? Now? A WORLD of difference! So...

1. All 3 tins opened with no vacuum whoosh. Interesting.
2. The moisture level is dry, yes...about like a John Patton blend from 4 Noggins. To me...spot on.
3. No shag here. Ribbon cut and even some torn larger leaf in with the Rimbouche SJ.
4. The tin aroma of each blend was absolutely enticing with promise of flavors just waiting to burst forth. Quite exciting actually, for those of us that find such things so.
5. Dis gon be fun, Cher!

Tomorrow I try my hand at rolling. This should be something akin to Laurel & Hardy meet Lucy Ricardo.

Blackhorse":snzwrr19 said:
Added these to the burn pile this morning. Only fair.

Peter Stokkebye 84 Turkish

Peter Stokkebye 80 Norwegian Blend

Peter Stokkebye 83 Amsterdam
I find they grow on you in all-day mode, but that may just be me. Taste is a subjective thing.

Kinda like a fungus.

Anyway...I've seen many of your reviews on the review site and elsewhere. Always make it a point to seek them out. Much appreciated. I find that yours, JimInks and only maybe 3 - 4 others (interestingly all regulars from this site) are the ones I heed. We may differ via preference, but so long as you have a feel for what the other reviewer likes then you can extrapolate. Critical though is that the reviewer is not a bona fide moron. Too many of those over there. Or to be more kind..."less well experienced".

Blackhorse":twu64xa1 said:
Anyway...I've seen many of your reviews on the review site and elsewhere. Always make it a point to seek them out. Much appreciated. I find that yours, JimInks and only maybe 3 - 4 others (interestingly all regulars from this site) are the ones I heed. We may differ via preference, but so long as you have a feel for what the other reviewer likes then you can extrapolate. Critical though is that the reviewer is not a bona fide moron. Too many of those over there. Or to be more kind..."less well experienced".
Thanks! I enjoy the reviews. They were a big help to me as I discovered there were more tobacco options than the OTC blends at the grocery store. There are some idiots who write some of them though, and that is a fact. You read something and think, "This guy is either from another planet, or he is basing this review on half a bowl from an open tin at the pipe shop, and he got the name wrong."

Ah well. Here we go by golly. I wasted two papers to the learning curve...and the baccy is quite 'thick'...er, non-shag...so it was very helpful it seemed pretty moist and compressed into the clutches of the rolling machine really well. Anyway...scratch two, but three turned out pretty OK. I used a different paper brand with each tobacco blend. All seemed workable. The RAW brand paper performed the best. The RIZLA Red is a medium weight paper & felt like newsprint next to the other two. I have two other sizes due in plus 'tips' that are a stiff paper you roll and put on the end of the cigarette like a filter. It doesn't filter, it helps keep the contents inside and enables the end to keep its shape. So, a couple of quick photos of twenty minutes 'work'.

I gotta take my daughter's bike in for a Spring tune up and do a few errands. Then I'm back and we'll give one or two of these bad boys a trial by fire.

Ramback in the Rizla.

Surprisingly good. Excellent flavor for such a small stick. Not super eager to stay lit. An issue re the ribbon cut as opposed to it being more shaggy. But all in all quite a pleasure. Worth the effort, etc., etc., etc.

Two Timer in the RAW

Not as flavorful as the Ramback, but the paper performed better. It smoked a little hot but produced thick clouds of smoke when going well. Very Burley character. This too did well, all things considered.

Blackhorse":kus29o2g said:
Ramback in the Rizla.

Surprisingly good. Excellent flavor for such a small stick. Not super eager to stay lit. An issue re the ribbon cut as opposed to it being more shaggy. But all in all quite a pleasure. Worth the effort, etc., etc., etc.

Two Timer in the RAW

Not as flavorful as the Ramback, but the paper performed better. It smoked a little hot but produced thick clouds of smoke when going well. Very Burley character. This too did well, all things considered.
I have to ask: are you going to try them in a pipe?

And I thank you for the compliments about my reviews. Father Tom and I have done a lot of trading, and I like his reviews very much, which he already knows. I would add DK to the list of top reviewers. Dan writes good reviews, spent many years working in a pipe shop, and knows tobacco.

In a what? A pipe? Hmmmm. Novel idea.

Well sure. But my focus WAS going to be RYO here. That's what I was interested in exploring.

But...it would be a cool extension of the above to do a simple comparison of the RYO to a pipe. And ya know, I just happen to have a couple of unsmoked Falcons, one with a mere bowl...BoB POY items. One is a straight, the other is the bent. It seems these blends are "subtle" as opposed to obvious. Ghosting from any old briar might affect the experience...but a fresh bulldog mere Falcon...it might just be right. Well, we'll see.

BH, I've tried similar things. I've got a 70mm roller and a big pack of Elements papers (did great in Amarillo, relative humidity is a biiiit much for them here); While I know your thread focused on D&R blends, if you ever get a hankering to try it, I've got some Semois that makes an exceptionally wonderful RYO.

As far as other blends, GLP Westminster makes a great RYO, and most anything Oriental-forward. It's something about the Orientals and Turkish that make RYO just right for me.

My first RYO here was with the all Turkish blend (very Izmir forward) and it was like a Camel straight. Ismir is my preferred Turkish and I seek it out in other blends as well. The D&R do very well, all things considered.

I do have Semois on hand, thanks.

Really excited about getting the carton of D&R Picayune "small cigars" in - due Saturday. They cost me $30 via Windy City Cigars...but for 200 factory rolled filtered smokes the like of which the Picayune blend is reputed to be...that's a steal.

I have the 70mm roller plus getting in a 78mm and 100mm set up as well. Depending on my overall success, which I'm projecting to be positive, I'll be on the lookout for other pipe blends that are kick ass in a tube. Already thinking of trying out C&D Oriental Silk. A real favorite around here. Feelin' like Bogart in The Big Sleep.

OK - exhaust fan set up and ON!

RYO of the Rimbouche SJ...not bad at all, VA and Perique Plum coming through. More difficult to control burn rate and so it is sort of up and down re flavors. But compared to nearly any other short stick these are going to shine. A 70mm doesn't last very long...but then that's the nature of the beast and matches the circumstances in which it is intended to be used. All in all quite pleasant.

Now...we GO right on to the pipe test...

Same blend - Falcon straight with mere bulldog bowl...somewhat sweeter and Perique easier to define...obviously a more regular burn so flavors are more constant. Mid bowl getting lots more pepper, a surprise given other reviews I've read...but it's there. Side streaming works really well with the little Falcon, which has a very open draw using this bowl. Yes, it's a fast smoke in the bowl too. Not easy to keep this one slow...wants to burn hot if puffed beyond a plodding pace. Smoked very dry and completely with no real hiccups. Very rewarding. Pleasing aftertaste.

I'd say the Falcon was equivalent to about three RYO smokes re volume and time to finish...as a first run trial very interesting. The flavors produced seemed richer to me as well. I'd like to have some of the D&R RYO Shag cut to try.

Hey!  This is FUN!

JimInks":pwkoaiyf said:
Blackhorse":pwkoaiyf said:
Ramback in the Rizla.

Two Timer in the RAW

I have to ask: are you going to try them in a pipe?

And I thank you for the compliments about my reviews. Father Tom and I have done a lot of trading, and I like his reviews very much, which he already knows. I would add DK to the list of top reviewers. Dan writes good reviews, spent many years working in a pipe shop, and knows tobacco.
Yes, Jim. I follow primarily your reviews, BH, DK, Bobby's, Father Tom, and D&B. They're the most helpful to me.

Cheers,

RR