Double-Chamber Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hermit":9iesulvc said:
I am really drawn to the pregnant guppy. :shock:
It's a truly unique shape. It's at the very
high end of what I'm willing to spend on a
pipe, so I'm gonna have to think about it.
I can't stop thinking about this pipe.
I don't really care much about the double-chamber aspect, I'm just nuts for the shape.
I just sent Anthony an email. My resistance has failed; if it's still available, I'm caving. :|

It'd be fun to watch your good-ol'-boys buddies' reactions when they see you smoking it for the first time :shock:

I lived in Alabama for two years once. Neat place & nice people. But Eisenhower was still president there . . .

:face:

Yak":ur414w9o said:
It'd be fun to watch your good-ol'-boys buddies' reactions when they see you smoking it for the first time :shock:

I lived in Alabama for two years once. Neat place & nice people. But Eisenhower was still president there . . .

I generally smoke at home.
The cats and the dog won't laugh at me. :lol:
I don't think it's one I'd tote around with me.

Hermit":71lhi56m said:
I can't stop thinking about this pipe.
I don't really care much about the double-chamber aspect, I'm just nuts for the shape.
I just sent Anthony an email. My resistance has failed; if it's still available, I'm caving. :|
:cheers: I like this post. 8)

I really, really hope you post all about it.

I own a Wellington pipe which is a double chamber knock-off of the Peterson design. In fact, there were lawsuits between Peterson and Wellington over patent issues. A genuine Wellington knock-off of a Pete has a little triangle stamp on the stem just ahead of the word Wellington.

The Wellington looks like a Pete, it would be a good prop in a Sherlock Holmes summer theater production. The bit looks like the Pete P-lip except the draft hole at the end of the mouthpiece doesn't point upward and functions as the traditional fishtail. The double chamber is kinda clever. The second chamber opens just below the air hole coming from the pipe bowl. Moisture comes out of the bowl, heads North and (supposedly) drops into the 2nd chamber before it can be pulled up the stem into the smoker's mouth.

I can easily clean the second chamber of my Wellington with a Q-tip, though in fact it's hardly necessary, because the pipe bowl has a sizeable drop between the bottom of the bowl and the air hole. It would take quite a bit of wet dottle to fill that gap. Maybe it's a triple chamber? Actually, the pipe smokes reasonably dry as long as the puffer isn't too enthusiastic. I understand these pipes are still available for cheap, and I've seen them on ebay for less than $15.

I think my Wellington is among the first five pipes I ever bought. It's not my go-to pipe, the briar isn't grade A, and the lacquer is laid on kinda thick. But the design is attractive in an old-timey way, it's light and people have complimented it. Used to be, when I walked into a smoke shop there would be several cardboard displays of inexpensive pipes -- cobs, Grabows and Wellingtons. The Wellies had the nicest display and the knock-off of Peterson was an ingenious marketing approach. They came in sizes from poclet to jumbo and just about every piper I knew had one. I've heard that there are Wellington collectors, though I didn't think there was enough variety to support even a medium sized collection.

Well, the Steeler OL promises to be much better this season.

KevinM":ocl95yi2 said:
...... The bit looks like the Pete P-lip except the draft hole at the end of the mouthpiece doesn't point upward and functions as the traditional fishtail.
I modify the P-Lip draft hole of all my Petes with a needle file. I remove a small amount of material at 6 o’clock of the hole so the smoke is not directed up at my palette as much. I just prefer it that way.

My first and second pipes were Peterson’s. They are a 301 & 309. Much later I got hold of a 317. I am very fond of them in sentimental terms, and I have had a few memorable, even transcendental smokes from the 01 & 09. But I must admit I am getting lazy in my old age. I don’t smoke the system Pete’s as much as I used to simply because I am too lazy to clean out the chamber anymore.

If I am smoking a conventional pipe and I want to put it down and come back to it hours later, as I often do, I can just shove a cleaner in it and walk away. It’s not that simple with a Pete. You can put a cleaner down the stem, but not too far because the end will dip into the reservoir full of rank juice. When you withdraw the cleaner you carry all that yuk up through the stem. So I am careful enough not to feed the cleaner all the way down, but still I don’t like the idea of all that rank juice sitting in the pipe that long.

As much as I love them, they are just a bit too much work for me. Although I happen to have the 317 at work with me right now.

As for Peterson knock-offs, my allegiance is too strong. I could never own a Pete knock-off, just on principal.

I got mine this morning. I love this pipe.
It smokes great, definitely cool and dry.
When I cleaned it there was no moisture in the chamber.

I modify the P-Lip draft hole of all my Petes with a needle file.

I'm going to give this a try. My complaint about the P-lip is that it aims the smoke in the wrong direction, causing it to taste thin. I'm always fidgeting with the pipe to get it aimed more advantageously. Your approach sounds like the sort of change that has minimal downside even for the undexterous. Thanks.

P.S. Is that the Freeport that's just over the Pennsylvania line? I once lived East of Erie, in that little northern Pa. notch., and we used to make regular treks to a Freeport smoke shop -- no, no, I mean smoked white fish -- and the fare was the best I've ever had. Only problem was we'd consume a good bit of it on the way home. Like many good things, it's probably not there anymore.

Hermit":7h5p0ugc said:
Is that the official review? :D

KevinM":9p7a3vin said:
I modify the P-Lip draft hole of all my Petes with a needle file.

I'm going to give this a try. My complaint about the P-lip is that it aims the smoke in the wrong direction, causing it to taste thin. I'm always fidgeting with the pipe to get it aimed more advantageously. Your approach sounds like the sort of change that has minimal downside even for the undexterous. Thanks.

P.S. Is that the Freeport that's just over the Pennsylvania line? I once lived East of Erie, in that little northern Pa. notch., and we used to make regular treks to a Freeport smoke shop -- no, no, I mean smoked white fish -- and the fare was the best I've ever had. Only problem was we'd consume a good bit of it on the way home. Like many good things, it's probably not there anymore.
Hi Kevin,

Definitely give the P-lip filing a try. There is little to loose and much to potentially gain for improving your smoking experience. Go conservative on the filing first. You can always open it up more.

No. Sorry. I'm from Freeport Long Island. I think there are a lot of Freeport's just like there are a lot of Springfield's.

---Rich

Kyle Weiss":an27hwni said:
Hermit":an27hwni said:
Is that the official review? :D
That's all ya get.

Ima concise kinda guy. (lazy, too) :lol:

dougc905":ee8oh6kj said:
I'm a physics teacher. I love to gnaw on theory!

Don't have an acme pipe and I know I never will. I think it would be terribly damp and "gurgly".
Gurgling is caused by moisture accumulating at the tip of the tenon 99% of the time. You can check this out by doing the following:

Remove the stem from the shank and push a pipecleaner through the stem until only the tip of the cleaner sticks out on the tenon side. Bend the cleaner ond the bit side so that it can't go any further.

Smoke your pipe until it gurgles. Push said cleaner through stem without removing it from the shank. In 99% of the cases, the "gurgle" will be "removed".

If I am smoking a conventional pipe and I want to put it down and come back to it hours later, as I often do, I can just shove a cleaner in it and walk away. It’s not that simple with a Pete. You can put a cleaner down the stem, but not too far because the end will dip into the reservoir full of rank juice.
Assuming you're smoking a system pipe, pull the stem, & use either a q-tip or a rolled-up-&-folded-over kleenex to soak up the "rank juice" in the trap. Same as you'd do after you'd smoked the last of what was in the bowl.

No ?

Yak":hyrcp5sy said:
Assuming you're smoking a system pipe, pull the stem, & use either a q-tip or a rolled-up-&-folded-over kleenex to soak up the "rank juice" in the trap. Same as you'd do after you'd smoked the last of what was in the bowl.

No ?

Certainly. Yes. As I have done hundreds of times in many years. I was just complaining about how I have gotten too lazy over the years to fuss around that much with the Q-tips & paper towels etc.. involved in smoking a Pete.

Don't get me wrong. I still enjoy them in rotation, only I don't reach for them as often.

Its like cleaning up dog poop in the yard and scooping out the cat box. In the first few years of pet ownership you don't mind it at all. After 15+ plus years you get more than tired of it. Not that I would give up my babies for anything in the world, OR my Petes.

SpeedyPete":col9e746 said:
dougc905":col9e746 said:
I'm a physics teacher. I love to gnaw on theory!

Don't have an acme pipe and I know I never will. I think it would be terribly damp and "gurgly".
Gurgling is caused by moisture accumulating at the tip of the tenon 99% of the time. You can check this out by doing the following:

Remove the stem from the shank and push a pipecleaner through the stem until only the tip of the cleaner sticks out on the tenon side. Bend the cleaner ond the bit side so that it can't go any further.

Smoke your pipe until it gurgles. Push said cleaner through stem without removing it from the shank. In 99% of the cases, the "gurgle" will be "removed".

This.

Many variables (many, I'll repeat) contribute to dampness and "gurgliness." One major factor, if the smoker habitually smokes in a manner that, insert chamber/system pipe, will create the most moisture, even if such a problem is absent from a standard pipe. New smokers with varying "techniques" will more often than not intensify problems.

In my case, had I gotten a chamber/system pipe early on, I wouldn't have known the difference, either through ignorance, practice or never having a cool, dry smoke--but now that I have one, I have to learn a different way of approaching it.

If we all smoked exactly the same way, with identical tobacco (at identical moisture content), I'd hold to the a theory suggesting these ACME (or other chambered) pipes were purposefully designed wrong, but I can't do that. Blame the artist, not the brush.

8)

Whatever happened to Acme pipes? He was turning some beautiful and interesting pipes. One of my favorites to window shop. When I think of artisanship in pipe making, he's one of the first to come to mind.

Zeno Marx":solkmvx6 said:
Whatever happened to Acme pipes? 
I've seen him and his pipes this year at the Gateway and CPPC Shows this years and I expect I will at the GKCPC Show in Sept. :shock:

daveinlax":z2m61yyr said:
Zeno Marx":z2m61yyr said:
Whatever happened to Acme pipes? 
I've seen him and his pipes this year at the Gateway and CPPC Shows this years and I expect I will at the GKCPC Show in Sept. :shock:
Thanks. Great to hear he is still at it. I know he works in other formats. I'd hate to see him leave the pipe world.