Favorite Book?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i.keenum":hwrlm598 said:
Terry goodkind's sword of truth series are the best ever.
That and Raymond Feist's Magician. One drawback to these series are the sheer number of books in the series. Three is plenty.
Never picked up Robert Jordan.

David Gemmell Troy series is one of the best I've ever read. I like historical fiction.

My most read book and one of my enduring favourites - “No Country For Old Men" by Cormac McCarthy.

I love the Sheriff's monologues and McCarthy's unique style of writing (without adherence to accepted grammatical rules).

Plenty of other books that I would describe as favourites but this is one that I keep going back to.

Fraternally

Jers

klause":daql01by said:
The book I re-read most often, or sometimes, just dip into is the Gormenghast trilogy, by Mervyn Peake.

Peake was, first and foremost, an artist.

To me, he painted with words - and created a work of unsurpassed beauty.
Glad to meet another Peake freak, Klause--I'm reading them for the first time, and having recently finished the second, I'm taking a break to get caught up on some less intense works before finishing the series. I never want it to end! It really is a phenomenal, one of a kind work--he breaks every rule you hear people trot out about good writing, and just soars. Here's what I said about the books, a while back on the "what are you reading" thread.

"The Grapes of Wrath", "Travels With Charley", and just about anything by Steinbeck. Another book similar to "Travels With Charley" is "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat Moon. I must have read it at least 5 times. Also, anything by Charles Kuralt

My favourite books are:

The Ragged-Trousered philanthropists by Robert Tressell.

Waterlog by Roger Deakin.

Any any book by Lloyd Kahn from Shelter Publications.

If you haven't come across any of these I seriously recommend that you check them out.......You won't be disappointed.

Hard to pick just one book. Birds of Prey or Monsoon by Wilbur Smith. Liked them so much i've read everything he's published. His Egyptian series was awesome as well.

Probably Dostojevsky's The Possessed. Or Dead House... really hard to pick between those two.

Or.....

The Loser by Thomas Bernhard
Setting Sun by Osamu Dazai
The Nonexistent Knight by Italo Calvino

This is impossible! :D I hope of course that the ultimate favourite is yet to come.........

Anasazi6":ernk6keo said:
"The Grapes of Wrath", "Travels With Charley", and just about anything by Steinbeck.
This. With a strong recommendation for Cannery Row. As a huge fan of good humor writers I would also suggest "Lamb" by Christopher Moore and "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

Haunted Bookshop and Parnassus on Wheels, by Christopher Morley, are among my favorites. Easy reading, not extensively long, and have the mention on pipe smoking throughout. Great books for a rainy afternoon.

I'll play along and not make any excuses for not being decisive, though I'm often indecisive.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig. I've read it several times; always enjoy it and get something new from it. Not much room remaining in the borders for more personal notes.