Fundraiser for Zack

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want you to know I support you, I will be praying, and sending good thoughts. I will also do something financial it will be small, but as much as I can do for now. Blessings

rev

George, there's pictures on the fundraiser page if you're so inclined. :)

The physical therapy has been kind of an outlet for Zack, as he's pretty motivated to get the hell out of his parents' house; they're driving him crazy. He is the kind that needs to be told to not go too far, rather than coaxed to keep up with the stretches/exercises. There will only be one lazy bum in this house, and it will be me. :lol: Kidding.

I'm starting to wear smooth spots in the letters T-H-A-N-K-S on my keyboard... but still, thanks to all of you in whatever capacity you've been there. It all counts, in large and small amounts.

8)

I have no idea how I just spotted this. It's great to hear that Zack is so much improved! I bet he'll be running circles around you before long! :)

He'd better, the chores are starting to get overwhelming. :lol: I need a break.

Sweet! Thank you! :D :D :D

I'm headed out of town for work, so that'll make me feel like things are "happening" while I'm away from being "caretaker."

8)

Kyle Weiss":4l7htjan said:
George, there's pictures on the fundraiser page if you're so inclined. :)
Saw those already when I was there. I wanted pics of him walking. :cheers:

Good idea. I'll set him up for a photograph opportunity when I get back into town from work. :) He won't complain much, he owes you guys. :lol!: It'll be awesome.

8)

How about standing there at least bearing his own weight with a pipe? That's about all I can promise. :lol:

That would be a very sturdy pipe. Finally, a practical use for a Boswell Giant!

Now I'm thinking I improvise a length of PVC and do this the correct way.

8)

For those of you not in the loop with the fundraiser page, I usually do periodic updates on Zack's progress...sorry GK, no pictures for you yet. :lol:

Kicking Pain Meds, More Walking...

...I suppose "kicking" should come later, after the mastery of the walk, but Zack's really fed up with being on his medication. Perhaps a little stubborn, but purposeful as always, he's been feeling a bit woozy lately. To ward off some of the dizziness associated with the "come down" off the meds, he did his normal exercises. Perhaps a little more.

Without realizing it, he was watching baseball on TV and was lifting up his leg below the knee and balancing on the other...then actually switched legs and did the same thing. Meaning, full weight-bearing with no pain. He wasn't even aware he was doing it. Just distractedly moving around.

"Hey Zack, what are you doing?" I asked.

"Woah, I didn't even... holy sh*t...oh MY GOD!" He was elated. He had been so scared to put almost any weight on the leg at all that he never tried. I suppose that was a good a discovery as any. I then asked him to walk, unaided. He tried, and did pretty darned well. That put us both in tears, because that means he's literally one more step closer to coming home and getting normal.

As for the meds, that's a tough road. No amount of determination can solve the chemical dependence that happens, and even if his mind says "no more," the body doesn't agree. Hopefully his determination will overcome the worst of it, taper off the stuff gradually, and can focus on the physical aspect (which he has had no problem with mastering, as I witnessed!)

8)

Great news Kyle!

What an encouragement to both of you to see that kind of progress.

This is the hardest thing we've had to go through, and we've been through some sh....ellfish. :| A lot of shellfish. Little victories are like World Series games for us right now, which are also kind of inspiring.

8)