GLP Embarcadero--Best blend ever???

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.ireland

Reaction score
Of course this is just my opinion but, to me, Embarcadero is perfect. The best overall tobacco I have smoked. It's a little early to make such a claim but I opened my first tin a few days ago and have smoked almost all of it. Its everything I want in a pipe tobacco: hearty, full-flavored, rich, complex, spicy & sweet, relaxing and somehow both unique and familiar.

If you can imagine an English blend minus the lat; Embarcadero is that blend. The red VAs are a great foundation and I now believe Izmir to be the ultimate condiment tobacco. I've enjoyed many mixtures with Turkish Izmir in the mix but this is the first time I've experienced a blend with just VA and Izmir. I don't know how much Izmir is in here but it's the perfect amount. Even when the VA is upfront there's just the slightest sweet spice of the Izmir in the finish. I can't stop blowing this smoke out of my nose. It is so fragrant! I've been smoking it in the mornings, after lunch, I love smoking it in the evenings... I'm smoking it right now! I know I'll never tire of other favorites but Embarcadero quickly jumped up to the very top of my list

I know there are plenty of you that are thinking "duh!" but this is an outstanding tobacco. I really don't see how ANYONE who enjoys the pipe could not like this blend.

One interesting thing I noticed: there is almost NO tin aroma! But when lit... It smells sooo good! To both the smoker and his company

If what you're used to (and consider "good") are full-spectrum flavor bombs that hit every taste receptor, and as hard as possible, then Embarcadero will likely put you off until (unless) you re-calibrate your perspective. It isn't an "up in your face" blend, but the polar opposite of one. In that lies the genius of it.

Any really good tea (I'm referencing what Chinese Americans import and drink themselves -- not grocery store stuff) has a subtle flavor, but adding honey or lemon would only step on it. The aroma of a perfume worn by a woman who knows what she's doing with it is faint -- understated and intriguing enough that it draws people in. It's the same with women wearing jewelry : one nice piece attracts attention and interest. Contrast that with the walking-jewelry-store approach you see sometimes and it's obvious just how much more "less" is when it's the right less.

On this end, like good tea, Embarcadero operates in one narrow flavor band, leaving the other taste receptors unaffected. That gives it a remarkably "clean" taste. That by itself is interesting. But it gets better : it's a flavor you can't quite put your finger on, no matter how long you spend trying to, and it's by no means a static one either. Having a kalaidoscope effect going on with number of different tobaccos swirling around in a mixture without any single one dominating is one thing that GLP's notably good at. (And one aspect of blending where, IMHO, the difference between Great and only good is apparent. There's lots of Good out there). But here, you have an entire conversation going on between two tobaccos -- Red Virginia and Izmir. That's all there is. And it never gets boring, and it never wears out, no matter how many bowls of it you smoke, back-to-back. How many tobaccos can you say that about ?

An appreciation of understated elegance and grace -- of finesse -- is not everybody's "thing." Given a choice, more people would probably better enjoy watching "Dancing with the Stars" than an old Fred Astare movie with Ginger Rodgers, and prefer the Beatles (great as they were) to Mozart. De gustibus non disputandem.

I can't guarantee you'll "get it" if you try it. But I have explained as well as I can what's involved in the quest to. Slow down with it, take it easy (even the best Red Virginia smoked too hurriedly just tastes like dry toast), learn how it likes to be packed, and you're through the door into magic.

You're welcome :D

:face:

Great. We're all just like Yak. Lord help us. :lol:

Embarcadero (actually, because of Yak's extensive and high praise of it) is one that's on my short list, too...I have yet to try any, but I'm pretty sure I'll be okay with it. 8) If not, I doubt it'll go to waste. :p

An "I just tried..." thread to look forward too...hopefully sooner rather than later! I need to make a run to my Tinder Box this Friday.

SI, I've noticed that our tastes seem to run fairly parallel to each other.

I suppose that means I'll have to join the club for those adding Embarcadero to the short list. And here I was thinking my tobacco order next week would be an uneventful restocking of my usual stuff.

I'm assuming the VA content means it'll be even more amazing with some age on it? Yak, any recommendations on that?

Well, dang, I guess I'll have to get some myself.
I Love the Virginias, and I do try to stray a bit, to try and find something different .
But the Lat's dont really turn my crank, and im not too fond of the burleys, so this seems like a good one to try.

Especially since Yak took the time to write a poem about it, geeez :roll:
It MUST be good :D

and I trust Shanes tastes too, as I think he has tried quite a few tobacco's, and he doesnt rave too awful much about them , so in that sense, Again, it Must be good!

I put it at the top of my next order list

Thanks

Since this is the best and Artison pipes are the best to put it in, there's no more need for this Forum!! :twisted: :twisted: Now that we have been given THE word about it, there's no need to smoke anything else !! Every one needs to throw away all your cellared 'bac and replace it with Embarcadero :p I know that's what I'm gonna do :twisted: NOT!! IMHO, there are several other BETTER blends/mixtures, made by Mr. Pease and others which I will continue to smoke and buy :p :p

monbla256":ueqixsw7 said:
Since this is the best and Artison pipes are the best to put it in, there's no more need for this Forum!! :twisted: :twisted: Now that we have been given THE word about it, there's no need to smoke anything else !! Every one needs to throw away all your cellared 'bac and replace it with Embarcadero :p I know that's what I'm gonna do :twisted: NOT!! IMHO, there are several other BETTER blends/mixtures, made by Mr. Pease and others which I will continue to smoke and buy :p :p
Oh god. Here comes the fun police! Lol making sure nobody's opinions or enjoyment surpass his own! :p I'm sorry the title of this thread wasn't "McClelland #27 & Blackwoods flake... Best blends ever"

Hell, I have 34 more years to catch up to your magic "40" but all
I said was "in my opinion" and "to me it's perfect. Exactly what I want in a tobacco"

Also, I haven't smoked it in any "artisan" pipes. Just an old GBD, a W. O. Larsen and a few Dunhills (high-end factory, not artisan)

I also said I have other favorite blends that I will never grow tired of... Embarcadero is simply one of those blends for me now. And to all you other brothers: I'm pretty sure you'll at least enjoy this stuff. I've come to know many of your preferences and I bet you'll find that elusive spice of the Izmir absolutely enthralling!

Yak":4ry3l5zo said:
It isn't an "up in your face" blend, but the polar opposite of one. In that lies the genius of it.

On this end, like good tea, Embarcadero operates in one narrow flavor band, leaving the other taste receptors unaffected. That gives it a remarkably "clean" taste. That by itself is interesting. But it gets better : it's a flavor you can't quite put your finger on, no matter how long you spend trying to, and it's by no means a static one either. Having a kalaidoscope effect going on with number of different tobaccos swirling around in a mixture without any single one dominating is one thing that GLP's notably good at. (And one aspect of blending where, IMHO, the difference between Great and only good is apparent. There's lots of Good out there). But here, you have an entire conversation going on between two tobaccos -- Red Virginia and Izmir. That's all there is. And it never gets boring, and it never wears out, no matter how many bowls of it you smoke, back-to-back. How many tobaccos can you say that about ?

I can't guarantee you'll "get it" if you try it. But I have explained as well as I can what's involved in the quest to. Slow down with it, take it easy (even the best Red Virginia smoked too hurriedly just tastes like dry toast), learn how it likes to be packed, and you're through the door into magic.

You're welcome :D

:face:
Thank you, Yak! Where words fail me, I can count on you to pick up where I left off! You nailed exactly why I find this blend so intriguing and satisfying. :cheers:

I have no problem with what you said and do understand where you are coming from. Just stirring the pot as others are want to do here :p I have smoked this blend and it is a good one, just the variety of oriental leaf used in it does not agree with me and my palate so rather than say something negative I thought I'd just have some fun :p If a person makes a "definative" statement as I have, do I or others not have the right to counter as others have ? Just some thoughts :p

:D :D Geez !! LOL, dont worry Shane, thats EXACTLY what this forum is about.

Reviews and opinions , based on our likes and dislikes.

I myself dont have a baccy shop around, and if I went by what my only friend that smokes a pipe , smoked, well, I'd be smokin Sir Walter Raleigh in a chunk of wood.

Its you all's posts that help me decide if I want to try somethin.

LOL, WOW! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Shane, don't mind Monbla. He's quite the dancer, we're just not sure if his moves are "The Authoritarian," or "Just Kidding." They're all the rage down at the Texan discos these says. 8) I suppose we should simply be glad he's not breakdancing.
smiley-breakdance.gif

Kyle Weiss":ek0pbhyn said:
Shane, don't mind Monbla. He's quite the dancer, we're just not sure if his moves are "The Authoritarian," or "Just Kidding." They're all the rage down at the Texan discos these says. 8) I suppose we should simply be glad he's not breakdancing.
smiley-breakdance.gif
Real men, at least down here, don't "breakdance" and we don't have disco's, just honkytonks :p

monbla256":ffg6iw35 said:
I have no problem with what you said and do understand where you are coming from. Just stirring the pot as others are want to do here :p I have smoked this blend and it is a good one, just the variety of oriental leaf used in it does not agree with me and my palate so rather than say something negative I thought I'd just have some fun :p If a person makes a "definative" statement as I have, do I or others not have the right to counter as others have ? Just some thoughts :p
And I was simply stirring it right back! Cheers, Brother! :cheers:

No hard feelings I assure you :p

monbla256":48h2dib6 said:
Real men, at least down here, don't "breakdance" and we don't have disco's, just honkytonks :p
Monbla, our resident expert on men. I concede, sir. :lol: :p

I love this place !

:lol: LOL, a subject starts off with a purpose, and turns into a stray, and things get funny as heck.

I get more laughs from fellow BoBs Ive never met in person , than I do in a day with people I know.

You guys are somethin else :lol:

Thanks to you all, for being who you are , and for being a part of this .