GLP Embarcadero--Best blend ever???

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewdude":kmh8d2ey said:
Looks like I have a tin that I haven't opened yet. Need to get to that.

Thanks for the reminder.

Cheers,

RR
You are quite welcome, Sir. I need to buy more of this stuff soon. I'm almost out already after just discovering it... That won't do at all

Hmm...
Let me see...
"Embarcadero, in a Castello.
Tea on the side. Not the store bought stuff, but the good stuff that the Chinese-Americans import for themselves."

Yeah, I guess it has a ring to it, so I'm game.

Shane":q29cn7re said:
I haven't smoked it in any "artisan" pipes
I used to have some great conversations with Ian on another board (before they kicked me out). (Ian was here for a bit too, but only briefly. It was pretty turbulent for a while).

Anyhow, Ian's a commodities trader in Chicago. Makes more money in a year than I can imagine, loves pipes, and lives close to Iwan Rees. The way guys here have maybe 30 pipes, he had at least that many BIG name Danes. Chonowiches, Ivarsons & stuff like that.

He said that he liked having & looking at them but, the aesthetic aspect aside, his Stanwells matched them, as smokers, stride for stride. Back then, the first $50 of a pipe's cost was for smoking quality ; the remaining $2,450 was going for aesthetics and coolness.

So I wouldn't loose much sleep over "artisan deprivation" :D

FWIW

:face:

Harlock":f605ylum said:
the good stuff that the Chinese-Americans import for themselves."
Get Vito or Puff Daddy to tell you about that. And pull up a chair -- you'll be listening for quite a while.

idbowman":yfs5gy4f said:
I'm assuming the VA content means it'll be even more amazing with some age on it? Yak, any recommendations on that?
I wish I could tell you, but I can't. Once I "got it," I went nuts and laid in a bunch of half-pound tins of it. All of what's on hand is from 2009. I'm sure it's changing as it ages. But so am I . . . makes it tough to say.

Yak":3qo0crkm said:
Shane":3qo0crkm said:
I haven't smoked it in any "artisan" pipes
I used to have some great conversations with Ian on another board (before they kicked me out). (Ian was here for a bit too, but only briefly. It was pretty turbulent for a while).

Anyhow, Ian's a commodities trader in Chicago. Makes more money in a year than I can imagine, loves pipes, and lives close to Iwan Rees. The way guys here have maybe 30 pipes, he had at least that many BIG name Danes. Chonowiches, Ivarsons & stuff like that.

He said that he liked having & looking at them but, the aesthetic aspect aside, his Stanwells matched them, as smokers, stride for stride. Back then, the first $50 of a pipe's cost was for smoking quality ; the remaining $2,450 was going for aesthetics and coolness.

So I wouldn't loose much sleep over "artisan deprivation" :D

FWIW

Oh I agree. I was being facetious. Smart-ass monbla was teasing about only smoking the best blend in the best artisan pipes :p

yak's repeated high praise of embarcadero led me to give it a shot as well... and i agree it is really something special. i keep finding myself smoking it more and more often, and enjoying it more each time. great stuff.

If it keeps going like this I'm gonna try to buy some and encounter the dreaded "out of stock" tag.

Puff Daddy would probably agree: one place to start if you like tea is Yunnan Sourcing. Been a frequent flyer of that place for years. Shipping's expensive, but you're buying tea from China.

This is not a detraction from the conversation, just so you know. :p I drink tea with a pipe frequently--and Embarcadero has a hot date with some 2010 raw pu'erh tea as soon as I go on a GLP binge. 8)

A P.S. re. age : smoking FVF at less than 2 years is just crazy. It isn't "there" yet. And given what Blackpoint is @ 4, holding off 'til then is strongly recommended if you want it to blow your socks off with flavor, the way it's capable of doing.

But Embarcadero, fresh, is fantastic. As has been noted (above). It may even be, if not better, at least an equal-but-opposite Good.

Yak":sra0loc6 said:
Not briefly enough.
That asshole was the only one I ever put on "ignore," here.
I don't care how much money he made, he's a waste of skin.

I'm sooo looking forward to the many bowls of Embarcadero that I plan on smoking later in the day/evening today 8)

FVF is a wonderful tobacco. I'm certain many agree. But you know how the description of the blend says something to the effect of "...leaves the pipe smoker yearning for the next bowl"?

I don't think any other blend has left me "yearning" or "anticipating" the next bowlful quite like Embarcadero does.

I'm almost forcing myself to smoke some other stuff right now just so I can reward myself with some Embeezy later on :cheers:

Yak":w2zh7jnj said:
A P.S. re. age : smoking FVF at less than 2 years is just crazy. It isn't "there" yet. And given what Blackpoint is @ 4, holding off 'til then is strongly recommended if you want it to blow your socks off with flavor, the way it's capable of doing.

But Embarcadero, fresh, is fantastic. As has been noted (above). It may even be, if not better, at least an equal-but-opposite Good.

The tin that I recently opened and immediately fell head-over-heels for is exactly 1 year old. It's sublime at this age.

I'm a bit concerned with laying down copious amounts in the cellar. Only because I'm not sure this is a blend that I want to change over time...

But if you don't try it with some age, and then more age, how will you know that you won't like it more, and more? Better can always be better, and I did not smoke a blend that wasn't better with age. For me that was 5-10 y/o; I don't know what happens beyond that.