How long will these stay sealed?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huffelpuff

Reaction score
The Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake tins have a pretty wimpy aluminum foil seal. Can they hold up to the pressure of aging tobacco? Think Iced tea mix powder not pull tab like McC. See attached pic.

That's a fine question and I'd be curious to know the answer too as I have a large tin of this in the cellar. I guess I could always apply some foil tape to it to be safe.

Will stay tuned. Hopefully someone here has some thoughts to share on this.

IMO they'd be fine for the long haul but if your worried you could over wrap the on a Food Saver bag. :shock:

My thoughts? I would portion it out into jars. But I'm a bit paranoid too. I got a few 8 ounce tubs and Jarred it. I'm not going through it that fast. And I'm random in my selection of smokes. Heck, if I open a 100 gram tin, I'll weigh a fifty gram jar out and cellar it while smoking the other half. Then years later I find it and it's fine.

But that's just me.........

If that foil is thick like what I see on peanuts, I would think it would last a long time. They heat seal it with a thin layer of plastic and glues. It's tough. As seen in another thread, I would worry about tins that aren't lined rusting from the inside before I'd worry about that foil apparatus giving way.

I have three like that from 2002. Always kept them in the house and never worried about them. But, some day I will open one. I expect them to be okay.

I honestly don't see these being tins that puff too much. After all the Va content is 25-33% not really enough to blow the lids off I think. I am quite curious as to how long the seal will hold though.

Jim

Personally, I wouldn’t worry about them. I have 3 200g tins of Curly that I picked up 5 years ago and the seals are good. I opened one recently and the tobacco was in perfect condition.

If you’re worried though, transfer it.

5 years with a high Va blend sounds like a pretty safe bet that the lower Va DSF will be just fine for the long haul. Thanks for that info Chris.

Jim