How was your weather today?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was windy here in Denver today.  I had an old tree come down and damage my fence.  It could have been much worse.  Thankfully, it missed the house and a car that I had parked next to it.

Yup, I'm here, and have just brushed off the snow.

Unusual weather patterns here in the UK as you've pointed out chaps. 'The Beast from the East', as the media have termed it, has been the result of warm moist air from the south hitting extremely cold air from Siberia. The result; unusually cold weather (down to approx. minus 8 degs C) and another accumulation of snow. Luckily North Shropshire didn't get hit as hard as some other places in the UK; there are still some folks in the Lake District who are cut off. I heard on the BBC this morning that some of my old chums in the RAF are flying Chinooks in loaded with basic provisions to keep them going.

My hunch is that this was Custer's last stand. Winter has had its day and now we can get on with spring. Snow drops are poking through, daffs are spearing and I recon it won't be too long before I see my first primrose and get warmed to the core by our star. Mmm, that'll be a good time for another smoke!

Good to hear you avoided the brunt of the beast sir! A good sign if the bulbs are spearing. Flowers by the Ides of March! :cheers:

Stick":yhucncle said:
Yup, I'm here, and have just brushed off the snow.

Unusual weather patterns here in the UK as you've pointed out chaps.  'The Beast from the East', as the media have termed it, has been the result of warm moist air from the south hitting extremely cold air from Siberia.  The result; unusually cold weather (down to approx. minus 8 degs C) and another accumulation of snow.  Luckily North Shropshire didn't get hit as hard as some other places in the UK; there are still some folks in the Lake District who are cut off.  I heard on the BBC this morning that some of my old chums in the RAF are flying Chinooks in loaded with basic provisions to keep them going.

My hunch is that this was Custer's last stand.  Winter has had its day and now we can get on with spring.  Snow drops are poking through, daffs are spearing and I recon it won't be too long before I see my first primrose and get warmed to the core by our star.  Mmm, that'll be a good time for another smoke!
Champion to see you checking in here Squire, and chuffed to learn that your shire was not as affected. Yet as you say, some chaps are still hunkering down in the aftermath and hope it gets sorted on the double.

Stay safe me ol' mukker!

:bom:

Cheers,

RR

Windy in the morning, Gale force wind the rest of the day. Snow flurries until sunset, now crystal clear starry night! The ground is already freezing.

First day of Spring has finally sprung. Gonna be sunny and close to 70 F today and likely over 70 F tomorrow. Then it’ll likely rain for the next three months. Kidding. The default locally referred to is cloudy and rain til July 5th. 4th of July fireworks shows are visible 50% of the time.

————————

Weather in Oregon? Here’s the deal...The North Western Oregon norm is moderate, temperate, fairly wet and green, green, green. Average rainfall is 35 in. For comparison the average in Seattle is 37 in. It’s not humid in the summer. There are few bugs to bug you. It doesn’t get too cold for too long in the winter. It snows a lot (between 2” and 6” is ‘a lot’) maybe once every three years. It doesn’t get too hot for too long in the Summer.

Too much rain,you say? Humph. I lived in Ketchikan, Alaska for eight years. The average rainfall in Ketchikan is over 150 inches...about four times that of Portland and Seattle. Now THAT’S rain!

Beautiful Sunday here in the Pac NW. Sunny skies, temps in the 60's. Just about perfect.

And yet, the national weather says that the NE is about to get spanked with another Nor-Easter on the heels of the prior two!

:shock:

Stay safe all of you in this bulls-eye!

:silent:

No Cheers,

RR

69 F here in west central Fl. Looks like rain, we have not had much since Irma.

Have a pleasant day, peaceful puffin.

John

Spring is in the air here in the Pac NW.

The Cherry Trees are blossoming, buds are on the trees and bushes, the overall weather has been much less threatening and somewhat benign (In like a lion, out like a lamb not necessarily applying this time).

Spring is renewal. Of life reappearing after a winter's doze. My favourite time of the year....

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR

Well Friday we were hit with a solid 9 inches of heavy wet snow. Trees down all over town. Power was out in places most of the day. We were only off grid for 2-3 hours. Temps of course have been mostly in the teens at night with a high today of a sultry 32F. This is spring in the high country! Enjoy the nice weather guys.

Oh and I'm downright jealous Rande. Cherry blossoms!

Jim

huffelpuff":b6k3su94 said:
Well Friday we were hit with a solid 9 inches of heavy wet snow. Trees down all over town. Power was out in places most of the day. We were only off grid for 2-3 hours. Temps of course have been mostly in the teens at night with a high today of a sultry 32F. This is spring in the high country!  Enjoy the nice weather guys.

Oh and I'm downright jealous Rande. Cherry blossoms!

Jim
Jeez Jim, you can't catch a break out there in the high country! Between you and the poor folks in the NE getting slammed by yet a 4th Nor-Easter it's a real conundrum of weather conditions!

Hope your situation improves soon brother!

Cheers,

RR

On the one hand, compared to other areas to the north, the weather isn't bad, but still, SNOW in the Piedmont of NC in March? :p

I just road tripped from IL to SC. It started snowing at the IL/IN state line and didn't stop til I hit South Carolina. No accumulation on the roads, but a bizarre first day of spring.

Just got back from a day in the mountains. A dry day with outbreaks of sun. Still cold with threads of snow in the gullies and the main icefalls are still intact (though I wouldn't trust them!). Still needed my gloves too, especially when operating my camera. Looked spring like though, just need the ambient temperature to rise by 10 degs C...

Interesting.

Awoke to about an inch or two of the white stuff. It was still coming down when I left for the brewery at around 07:30.

Fortunately it all melted (mostly) by the time I arrive home late morning.

We do seem to get these late winter/early spring disturbances and this year is no exception.

And yes, I'm well aware of the unfortunate folks in the main storm areas in the NE, the midwest and such. As well as those in California. This is child's play in comparison!

Cheers,

RR

The first real spring sun today so sat in the back garden and experienced a strange thing... getting progressively warmer whilst being outside. It's been an unusually long winter here in Blighty. Only one thing to do at a time like this... yup, fired up a bowl of McC's 40th Anniversary.

Splendid.

Stick":cxfe7bq8 said:
The first real spring sun today so sat in the back garden and experienced a strange thing... getting progressively warmer whilst being outside.  It's been an unusually long winter here in Blighty.  Only one thing to do at a time like this... yup, fired up a bowl of McC's 40th Anniversary.

Splendid.
:cheers: Excellent! :cheers:

Stick":teextlj8 said:
The first real spring sun today so sat in the back garden and experienced a strange thing... getting progressively warmer whilst being outside.  It's been an unusually long winter here in Blighty.  Only one thing to do at a time like this... yup, fired up a bowl of McC's 40th Anniversary.

Splendid.
Jolly nice bit of 'baccy there Squire, innit.....

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR