How was your weather today?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snow showers today. About 2" on the ground already and more coming down right now. At least the winds are calm finally!

NOAA says to expect frigid temps of 20F tonight and even lower Mon night. Guess I'll be dripping the outside water spigot for a few days! Did I ever mention I hate winter?

And yes, I'm aware that this is nothing to what other parts of the country are experiencing.

:x

No Cheers,

RR

WeatherBug is forecasting a week from the book of Willamette valley winter, rain with low temperatures in the 40's and highs in the upper 40's. Rain.

Did I mention rain?

Thanks Guys!

OK...WTF...this morning I got up to discover an inch of snow on the ground and the road frozen. Nice. Understand, our town is built on hills...half the town is along the river below a long high bluff we call the hilltop...where the other half of the town is built. The elevation difference is about 500 ft. Just an inch of frozen snow can make getting off the hill to the rest of the world pretty hairy if they haven’t de-iced, etc. Suffice it to say, they haven’t. Since there are no official contests as to the number of donuts one can do on any of the roads downhill...I think I’m gonna plant myself for the morning. Basically, an inch of snow on top of an ice substrate produces a result something like many of the events on the Winter Olympics. That’s right officer...it’s like my car was the stone on the curling alley...wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Blackhorse":o9bvm91b said:
OK...WTF...this morning I got up to discover an inch of snow on the ground and the road frozen. Nice. Understand, our town is built on hills...half the town is along the river below a long high bluff we call the hilltop...where the other half of the town is built. The elevation difference is about 500 ft. Just an inch of frozen snow can make getting off the hill to the rest of the world pretty hairy if they haven’t de-iced, etc. Suffice it to say, they haven’t. Since there are no official contests as to the number of donuts one can do on any of the roads downhill...I think I’m gonna plant myself for the morning. Basically, an inch of snow on top of an ice substrate produces a result something like many of the events on the Winter Olympics. That’s right officer...it’s like my car was the stone on the curling alley...wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I'm hip Dave. I have a similar situation, being up a long and sometimes steep hill with several suicide s-curves.

Get a little ice on the road and it fast becomes an exercise in low gear and extra slow descent. Good thing I grew up in Wis-can-sin, and learned how to drive in these conditions. Most of the WA state drives have no clue!

:shock:

Cheers,

RR

It rained most of the day today, and now it's pouring. Thunder and lightning also. It's a welcome site since we are in a drought. Tomorrow it is supposed to get colder and change the rain to sleet in the evening. I hope it holds off since I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow.

Ohhhhh. Here we go. Many of the computer models show it’s supposed to do another “surprise snow” today early (snowing now on the west side where Warlock BoB lives)...and this afternoon and tonight...leaving at least several inches on the valley floor. Ohhhhhh.

This happened last Spring also when unexpected and resulted in half the dang town of two and a half million people being stranded where they were...at work...at school...at day care...not fun. A true “the sky is falling...the sky is falling” level event.

Film at eleven.

Awoken this morning to the strange sound of thunder, a down pouring of some strange clear liquid, and the clap of thunder emanating from the heavens :shock: :shock: Been quite a while since I/we have experienced such phenomena here on the High Plains of OKC!!! On top of that, the word "snow" has been mentioned in tomorrow's WX forecast!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Update!!! Temps dropped below freezing, rain turned to sleet/ice :evil: What fun!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Hermit":0gzdbsn5 said:
Freaky February - It's 85 degrees.   :shock:

I would have used a different "F" word in front of February, but yeah, it was
60 degrees when I woke up this morning and now at 4pm it is 37! Rained all
day and I got caught in it coming out of the doctor's office this morning running to
my truck. Well, at least it isn't snow! But tonight it is supposed to turn to sleet, so we will have a sheet of ice all over the roads in the morning I'm glad I have plenty of
bourbon on hand and no place to go!

Pounding rain yesterday. Creek out back took my little cottage. I was sitting in it having a great smoke, twenty minutes later I had to get out, ten minutes after that the debris washed down and grabbed the place and just took it.

This morning, no rain, but everything was sealed shut. Freezing rain on the way.

Take care OW, sorry about your little cottage. Did you not have it anchored down?

The ice storm bypassed us and the rain that did show up froze just a bit.Not too bad, the driveway, walkway's are all clear, but the deck is slippery. The bird feeders were all frozen this morning and I had to thaw them out before putting seed and birdfood in them. If we can put up with this crap for another 2 weeks, we should be on the way to summertime!

Ice, snow, and sleet here in OKC! Got out for a bit this morning. Back home in the warm now!! All just solid ice sheets at the moment. 22F and not getting warmer until tomorrow!! :cheers: FTRPLT

In the frigid zone lately here in the Pac NW. Daytime temps into the mid-30's and night time temps in the low 20's! And now it's snowing again at 4:30 PM and 28F.

I sure can't wait to leave this all behind me when I retire to sunny and warm S. Arizona!!!

:pale:

Cheers!

RR

Rain stopped, sun came out. Creeks and rivers going down, roads becoming open. If it was snow we would of had four feet!

Looks like snow is the forecast for the next several days. NOAA says that I might expect up to 14" total accumulation by Sunday night, plus windy conditions Sat night.

What a wonderful place to live. NOT!

:x

No Cheers,

RR

More rain. It's like there is a moat around the property. I am an island after all!

Bee-utiful sunny day here with temps in the 50's. What snow fell over the past week is essentially gone. Think spring may finally be on it's way <crosses fingers>.

At the same time, I'm seeing reports of the Nor-Easter that has kicked the snot out of our brothers in the NE sector. Delaware to Maine seems to be under siege by this monster.

And reports from my old mate Ian in Blighty paints a dire picture. Much of the country has suffered record snow - up to 20" in some areas. And this from a country that seldom sees snow in any significant accumulation, apart from Scotland.

And since they largely don't have the infrastructure to deal with it (meaning snowploughs and the like) it creates chaos and the transport system essentially shuts down.

Ian said that 80 mph winds and blizzard conditions closed the main M62 motorway across the Pennines. Here's a c&p from his e-mail-

The main M62 motorway across the Pennines was closed both ways here overnight/early this morning with a lot of stranded vehicles, partly as a HGV had jack-knifed and a coach could not pass the accident.  Too many motorists ignore advice not to travel and do so inadequately prepared.  Not many even have winter tyres (I have a full set) and virtually no one here has chains.  The other thing is the general density of traffic, too many people on a small island trying to drive over the same roads at the same time.  One small blip and the whole system quickly backs-up and becomes grid-locked.  It is also the worst winter weather for many years so there will be a lot of new drivers who have never driven in snow.

Forgot to say the 3 or 4 inches here is not necessarily typical across the country.  The East coast around Lincolnshire, the North East coast and the central belt of Scotland (Glasgow to Edinburgh) as well as parts of the South West have been hit the worst and may have had a foot or more.  My friend about 15 miles over the hill said she had 6 inches of snow and spent 5 hours travelling to/from work yesterday when it should have taken about 2 hours.  This is by public transport (train) rather than driving and she had to get home by bus and taxi as there were no trains due to one breaking down and blocking the line, so we can't even keep the railways running.  All trains on the main line from Newcastle to Edinburgh were cancelled yesterday.

Somewhere in his e-mails Ian says that an estimated 3500 motorists were stranded and the army had to be called out! So it looks pretty dire for our brothers in Blighty.

Haven't heard from Stick yet, so hope he and his family is OK. Seems like his area was affected more than others!

Cheers,

RR

Looks like the folks in the NE sector are about to get spanked once again on the heels of the Nor-Easter which devastated it yesterday. Another strong storm is headed their direction.

Stay safe all of you in harm's way!

:shock:

No Cheers,

RR

Yah, those poor folks out there on the east coast and England are paying for it, yes. Family in Boston are really feeling it. But that's where the college they wanted to go to is. Brrr!

Best of luck to all the people out there!