Ken Collins AKA Pipetongue AKA Dad

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very sad news indeed. Grace and peace to the Collins family in this hard time.

So sorry to hear. I like to think of passing as an opportunity to celebrate a life, but I understand the reality is still very difficult.

Ken and his family will certainly be in my prayers. I am very sorry to hear this. Ken was my mentor on many of my Lakeland trials and always responded to any questions that I had for him. I will remember him.
I didn't bring Bosun Cut Plug today but will have a bowl tonight in his honor.

Chevy I think he was everyones Mentor...

He has gifted most of us.. Not only with tobacco and such but with something more important his love of the pipe, the knowledge he has gathered over the many years of puffing, and life wisdom..

I've never met the man, I wanted to it just never worked out, but I've been (edit in: a lot of us have) talking to him for 5 or 6 years..

Back on the old Knox board he posted a lot more than he has the past year or so.. Quick,cutting wit.. Not the kind that hurt, the kind you couldn't help but grin about..

He is one of the unspoken giants of the pipe world. And I feel like a better person for having been blessed by getting to talk to him.

I hope beyond hope he rebounds and comes back and fusses at us for making deal.. Lol.. Anyone ever received a package from him warning you to not make a fuss about it? Lol I think we all have..
If not I hope the good Lord takes him in peace and grants a measure of strenth to Mrs Collins.. Our loss will be nothing compared to hers.

Thanks for keeping us informed Doc. That's certainly sad news and not a good thing for me to start the day with. Ken is and was a dandy brother and I'll miss him and his comments and presence on the board.

Jim

Very sad to hear. But he lived a long (and by his own admission, rather rough) life and turned it around in time to earn the love and respect of all of us here and those that know him. A small bit of his wisdom (and gifts) will remain in the tobaccos I smoke daily.

Natch :(

Wow.. I'm really not sure of what to say.. I never got a chance to say much to Ken, but always loved reading his posts.. it was pretty obvious right away he was a very special guy, and meant a lot to many people on BoB.. may everything go as peacefully as possible for him, and for his family.

Maiser":hfzfsgm1 said:
If you can, Doc, please tell Ken we all say thank you for being with us while he was.
It's never easy to find the right words in sad moments like this, but this is lovely. Too often, we offer condolences and sorrow; too rarely, we offer thanks.

Please do, Dock, if you can. May the knowledge of everyone's appreciation for his time here ease his passing. Ken's often unique perspective will be missed.

Ken exemplifies brotherhood and is a true inspiration for many of us. He was one of the first people that showed me that an online community of fellow pipe smokers can be much more than just another internet forum. That true friendships can be forged without ever having met. I feel very lucky for having him with us over the years.

Thank you Dock for keeping us informed. You and Ken's family have my deepest sympathies.

News like this is never easy, I have to believe that Ken is going to a better place. On this board with all of us he is a kind and gentle soul, respectful (in his own way) and always offering to share. Dock as others have said, if you can, let Ken know he was among friends here...

Ken is one of the mainstays who came here (with many of the rest of us) from the old Knoxville Cigar BB. The man has a huge heart, and to my knowledge he has never spoken an unkind word to anyone. I feel a sense of personal loss and sadness in the anticipation that he won't be around. My very best thoughts and wishes go out to him, his family, and all of the brethren here who have come to know Ken as a friend.

Tried three times to write something here but nothing I can say honors the gentleman enough. The consensus of sentiment here on the board sums up as well as anything what a great guy Ken was and what he meant to us here.

I raise my glass to you Ken, you're in my prayers, and I thank you for honoring us with your presence here. Too many good men going lately.......

I have always wished all the best for Ken. I was fortunate to have been able to briefly speak with him last month. I sure couldn't tell by the voice on the phone that he had ever been ill. Only his admission that he had. If the maker is going to take him, I hope it's quick and peaceful. Or give him the strength to get well and spend more time with us all.

What a great guy-generous and kind hearted;the calabash will get a few smokes this week in Ken's honor.T