Mouth-bites/'Softee-bits'

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use them most of the time since most of my pipes are 2.5oz+ so clinching is a bit hard on the teeth without them. Never had a bad taste. I remove them after smoking and wash them in the sink and toss them into a jar for when I need one again. I have two sizes as well, the big ones are great for the wider bits. i've seen some people turn them around so the raised part is away from the bit and the end catches on the bit.

ZeroContent":mdrhdzfj said:
I use them most of the time since most of my pipes are 2.5oz+ so clinching is a bit hard on the teeth without them.  Never had a bad taste.  I remove them after smoking and wash them in the sink and toss them into a jar for when I need one again.  I have two sizes as well, the big ones are great for the wider bits. i've seen some people turn them around so the raised part is away from the bit and the end catches on the bit.  
Many thanks for that... great tip (no pun intended) on reversing them. DOH!

brand? where do you buy them?

Steve

DrSmoke":nu0vlt3s said:
ZeroContent":nu0vlt3s said:
I use them most of the time since most of my pipes are 2.5oz+ so clinching is a bit hard on the teeth without them.  Never had a bad taste.  I remove them after smoking and wash them in the sink and toss them into a jar for when I need one again.  I have two sizes as well, the big ones are great for the wider bits. i've seen some people turn them around so the raised part is away from the bit and the end catches on the bit.  

Steve
Not sure where Zero buys his from, but P&C, Smokingpipes, or a local tobacconist is where I got/get mine.

Also, I rarely take mine off. When they start to wear out, I cut them off, throw them away, clean the stem, and put another on. I keep a dozen soft bits at my place for occasions such as those.

fsu92john":38wb1u9g said:
I prefer not to use them, but I have a couple of pipes that are hard to hold on to without them (I'm a clencher). I use them only on those specific pipes.
Add me to this list!!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

I don't care for them, but I use them because I don't like teeth marks on my stems. For a cheap pipe ie 100 or less I won't use them.

DrSmoke":flspdcz1 said:
ZeroContent":flspdcz1 said:

Steve
I get them from where ever, the latest buy was the oversized ones from PipesandCigars. They were awesome on the wider than average bits so I can clinch my 3oz 8" Tim West monster freehand.

I use them as well and like them. No trouble with off tastes.

Most of my pipes have saddle bits and the softies work fine on them.

But I have trouble with tapered bits as I don't get a good seal and often draw more air through the leaky softy than I do smoke from the stem.

Also, I'm not exactly sure how they're supposed to be fitted on the pipe, but what I do is to back the "button" on the softy right up to, but not over, the button on the stem.

Makes for very easy clenching.

TLA

TheLowlyApprentice":qfkx2ak8 said:
I use them as well and like them. No trouble with off tastes.

Most of my pipes have saddle bits and the softies work fine on them.

But I have trouble with tapered bits as I don't get a good seal and often draw more air through the leaky softy than I do smoke from the stem.

Also, I'm not exactly sure how they're supposed to be fitted on the pipe, but what I do is to back the "button" on the softy right up to, but not over, the button on the stem.

Makes for very easy clenching.

TLA
They come in several sizes, I purchase the smallest at 6mm and just stretch it over the larger ones. Makes it a good tight fit without them sliding around. And I don't necessarily buy any particular brand of them. I look for the best deal and buy'em. I just purchased 48 of'em off eBay for $17. I've never had a problem with any I've bought falling apart but, I don't gnaw and chew my stems like a rabid dog either.

Although! On the older much smaller Military bit stems I find them to be loose fitting, reckon shrink tubing will have to do for them.

TheLowlyApprentice":5prsfbw3 said:
...Also, I'm not exactly sure how they're supposed to be fitted on the pipe, but what I do is to back the "button" on the softy right up to, but not over, the button on the stem.
That's my method. When I use them.

I prefer a flatter bit so I find the softies bulk things up too much. I'll try Bullwinkle's approach and cut the ridge off the end and see if that does the trick. I'd really LIKE to like them, as I don't like chewing my stems up either.....

Nope, not for me! :roll:
A thin bit normally equals a nice bit in my mind. Why make it thick and uncomfortable? I want to feel the bit between my teeth.

CharlG":42j0f84r said:
Nope, not for me! :roll:
A thin bit normally equals a nice bit in my mind. Why make it thick and uncomfortable? I want to feel the bit between my teeth.
I perfectly understand where your coming from, it's just that I hate to mar my stems even the least bit, besides I don't clench very often anyhow. ;)

Maybe it's because I'm a rank newbie at the puffer's hobby, but when I don't have the Softies installed, I find that each of my pipes requires a unique placement in my mouth in order to get a good purchase on the bit.

Some of my pipes have wide bits, some have narrow, some stems are straight, some are bent and without the Softies, I find myself having to fiddle with each pipe in order to secure it.

And on more than one occasion I've thought that I had a good grip on the pipe when all of a sudden I found that I didn't have such a good purchase on the bit and the pipe torqued in my mouth and I've almost wound up with a lap full of hot coals and ashes.

With the Softies installed I can get a good purchase on the bit in nothin' flat and that's true with any pipe I'm smoking.

Granted, the aesthetics of the Softies leaves something to be desired, but I'll take the convenience and safety of the Softies any day over the aesthetics.

TLA

TheLowlyApprentice":xb4y2vsa said:
Maybe it's because I'm a rank newbie at the puffer's hobby, but when I don't have the Softies installed, I find that each of my pipes requires a unique placement in my mouth in order to get a good purchase on the bit.

Some of my pipes have wide bits, some have narrow, some stems are straight, some are bent and without the Softies, I find myself having to fiddle with each pipe in order to secure it.

And on more than one occasion I've thought that I had a good grip on the pipe when all of a sudden I found that I didn't have such a good purchase on the bit and the pipe torqued in my mouth and I've almost wound up with a lap full of hot coals and ashes.

With the Softies installed I can get a good purchase on the bit in nothin' flat and that's true with any pipe I'm smoking.

Granted, the aesthetics of the Softies leaves something to be desired, but I'll take the convenience and safety of the Softies any day over the aesthetics.

TLA
Your not the only one, being a snaggle tooth with sharp fangs and a chipped tooth ta boot I find it hard to clench comfortably without clenching too hard and marring my stems. I'm so use to softies now that a bare stem seems too hard now, no matter what material it's made of. :fpalm:
What it really comes down to is enjoying the smoke and if we must use a softie to do so, fine. ;)

I only have one pipe that wears a Softee-- a 40+ year old Pete 2nd that is such a good smoker I'm reluctant to send it off to have the bitten-through bit replaced. The Softee has never been a problem for me, and it's cheaper than stem replacement. I agree with the comment above that, for clenchers, different bits pose a need for getting a consistently dependable chomp on the stem. The Softee could help with that.

Gents:

From my perspective, great replies from everyone.

1. super tips (no pun intended): cut off the raised ridge, reverse the tip, tubing heat sealed
2. I think one of the things inferred but not explicitly mentioned is the feel of the stem type in the mouth as part of the smoking pleasure. I really enjoy thin and wide stems, e.g. the stem on a Rattray's Glory Days sandblast.
3. Each stem requires its own specific tipping solution to match the stem type.
4. Health issue: remove the tips every so often and clean the tip and the stem! I hadn't thought about this but it makes complete sense. Who knows bacteria lurks under a moist tip :rabbit:

Thanks again
Steve

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/softy-pipe-bits-pipe-tools/1478264/

Can anyone who happens to have both sizes laying around give me internal diameter measurements in millimeters? What's the hole size for each of these? I'd really appreciate the bother. Or if you just have one size, maybe someone else can offer the other size.

I'm still interested in these Softy bit measurements, but as I waited, I dug. Found this video, and then by luck, I found some black vinyl tubing in that diameter. Used a little fine sandpaper to sand off the sharp edges because 1) when you cut vinyl tubing, the edge is sharp 2) because vinyl is harder, you can sand it vs not being able to sand rubber (if you needed to sand a rubber edge). The vinyl is surprisingly hard, but it is easy to work with if you let it sit in boiling-then-shut-off water for 10-15 seconds. I'm sure you could use a hair dryer with just as much success if you didn't want to mess with boiling water etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpEgSUbuAxI

provided by this user in this thread: http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t28653-one-of-my-fav-youtube-pipe-guys-and-softy-bit-alternative?highlight

Zeno Marx":1fzuga1s said:
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/softy-pipe-bits-pipe-tools/1478264/

Can anyone who happens to have both sizes laying around give me internal diameter measurements in millimeters?  What's the hole size for each of these?  I'd really appreciate the bother.  Or if you just have one size, maybe someone else can offer the other size.

I'm still interested in these Softy bit measurements, but as I waited, I dug.  Found this video, and then by luck, I found some black vinyl tubing in that diameter.  Used a little fine sandpaper to sand off the sharp edges because 1)  when you cut vinyl tubing, the edge is sharp  2)  because vinyl is harder, you can sand it vs not being able to sand rubber (if you needed to sand a rubber edge).  The vinyl is surprisingly hard, but it is easy to work with if you let it sit in boiling-then-shut-off water for 10-15 seconds.  I'm sure you could use a hair dryer with just as much success if you didn't want to mess with boiling water etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpEgSUbuAxI

provided by this user in this thread:  https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t28653-one-of-my-fav-youtube-pipe-guys-and-softy-bit-alternative?highlight
Found this: https://www.dhgate.com/product/muxiang-white-black-soft-rubber-tobacco-pipe/266727662.html

Looks like 15mm and 18mm... not sure these are the same size as the pipes and cigars softies...