Navy Blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepbass9

Reaction score
OK folks, let's hear your favorite Navy blends and why.....please.

A genre I haven't tried much of yet, but one for which I am interested in hearing opinions.

Top of the pile is Escudo followed by SG Navy Flake.

+1 on the SG Navy Flake, it's a very underrated blend.

Don't forget the MacBaren and Peter Stokkebye versions either. Both are very popular and almost always available.

I like the MacBaren Navy Flake. It doesn't have huge flavor (at least for me), but it's tasty, doesn't bite (again, for me), and it's darn easy to smoke and enjoy. It's also perpetually available! I'll be trying the SG Navy Flake next.

I love SG Navy, but I think the Latakia sets it in a slightly different category then the other Navys. I love PS LNF and I really like McBaren Navy too, but each has its place and no one can really replace another.

I really enjoy PS LNF,,,inexpensive, available, always tasty, consistent, it's not one that grabs you by the tongue shouting "Here I am, pay attention to me",,,more of a laid back watching the ballgame smoke.

There are several Navy Flakes I love, but they seem to be notably different blends. I think the term "Navy" is as nebulous and hard to get agreement on as, well,...........pipe tobacco in general? :lol:

No, I think it's more nebulous than tobacco in general. But I love them all.

Natch

Muddler":6s50xshs said:
Top of the pile is Escudo followed by SG Navy Flake.

This^

mark":6s50xshs said:
I really enjoy PS LNF,,,inexpensive, available, always tasty, consistent, it's not one that grabs you by the tongue shouting "Here I am, pay attention to me",,,more of a laid back watching the ballgame smoke
This too^

Cheers,

RR

In what way does the term navy apply to Escudo? To me Escudo is mature VA with Perique.

Now if you want obvious navy applications, try C&D Black Frigate—heavy Latakia with a significant amount of rum. If I remember correctly, having posed this question on the old Knox Board but not having what I learned then subject to retrievable memory, navy means various things.

What things?

alfredo_buscatti":3f2f9s6x said:
In what way does the term navy apply to Escudo? To me Escudo is mature VA with Perique.

Yeah, I thought the same thing at first...then looked at the tin....

I, too, was thinking more along the lines of rum soaked and rope-like, when I posted. I guess those are what really interest me...should have been more specific.

I have a tin of McBaren Navy Mixture in my stand, I'm just waiting for the right time to open it.

I love the citrus subtleties of McClelland #2035.

I'd love to see a definition, because I don't consider VaPers to be navy flakes (and I don't care what they're called). Be interesting to see if a definition could be loosely agreed upon.

A couple of years back I posted a history of "Navy Flake" but I'll be damned if I can find the original.

The basic highlights are.
1. It's the process, not the recipe, In the OLD days when sailors ran the decks bare foot they "Holy Stoned" pumice blocks on a stick to remove slivers

2. Every thing they owned they had to carry in their ditty bags so space was a premium. So tobacco was placed in pieces of Sail canvass & twisted
like one wrings out a towel to compress it. hence the term Twist which also applies to ropes.
The lacing with Rum had more to do with preservation than flavoring,

As with the Bread & meat , tobacco was prone to be infested with maggots & Weevils so the tobacco was heavily doused with rum to protect it from the bugs.

Pressed+ Rum = Navy

McClelland's Navy Cavendish. Love it, love it, love it. Perhaps not the most exciting of tobaccos but it's never made a misstep or disappointed me yet.

Thanks for this post, I was wondering which Navy to try and being a complete newbie had no idea where to start. Please forgive the newbie question but which brand is SG?

Great posts...

...plus, a few bugs and slivers ain't gonna hurt most of us... :lol:

Thanks for some history lessons, too!

MisterE":t19fyk9h said:
ctownsen357":t19fyk9h said:
Please forgive the newbie question but which brand is SG?
Samuel Gawith. But forget about getting any. There never is any to be had, lol. :(
*nudge*

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t14872-bobag-bob-acronym-guide-preliminary-help-add-stuff

:cheers: