P&C Doubles Prices of Esoterica Bags

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
I just went to P&C's site to check on their Esoterica bags in stock and was shocked to see the prices are now $49.95 a bag. That's double what they were last week. Nobody else I know has done this.

YIKES!

shocked.gif

Cheers,

RR

Well on the bright side - their stock ought to last a helluva lot longer now. :evil: :arrow: 

Here's a little heads up on them. I placed and paid for a back order of Esoterica Dorchester a few months ago. Two months into waiting for them to fill it I got an email asking if I'd like to just cancel my order with them being it was taking so long to fill it. I emailed back stating NO, not under any circumstances do I wish to cancel. The next day they canceled my back order for me. I called them and confronted them about it and they had nothing to say but sorry. Now I know why they canceled my order, they didn't want to sell it to me at there original quoted price. I will NOT do business with them any further, there Charlatans as far as I'm concerned. There are many Good and Honest tobacconists that still charge a decent price.

That's insane, I can get it for cheaper than that at my local B&M (which is never the case)

Really though, I hope P&C isn't just the first of a line of e-tailers to do it :( 

Should other concerns follow P&C lead on Esoterica pricing, I would think they will only sell to those who have the extra cash and who adore the tobacco, which reduces to the diehard Stonehaven and Penzance adherents. They will lose sales and create aversion. On the other hand they sell a good deal of Russ Ouelette's work cheaply. Cup 'O Joes prices are about 25% higher than the competition's, but they remain in business. The only time they got my business was at the start of the year when I was gunning for FVF; as long as the price wasn't outrageous, I bought what I could when I could. Can't say I liked the prices, but then again they were not increased by 100%, which I wouldn't have paid.

gravel":2rez3qvh said:
Folks will still buy it at those prices.
Yep.

My B&M (Holts in Philly) has been charging $50 for a bag of Penzance for as long as I can remember, and usually has one or two in stock.

Honestly, Penzance and Stone Haven going for 2x retail doesn't bother me, but the markup hitting the less unobtainable blends, like Margate, pisses me off.

That totally sucks. Is there any indication that the manufacturer has increased their price?
:?: 

Doc when I did a search for it, 14 different online shops I found that most were in the $36 -$26 range for 8 oz. and there were only two I believe that had overly priced.

Raising prices is a normal business practice. But IMO, cancelling already accepted back orders so that ALL customers must pay the higher prices is just greedy and bordering on illegal.

tslots":eyyqmn80 said:
Raising prices is a normal business practice.  But IMO, cancelling already accepted back orders so that ALL customers must pay the higher prices is just greedy and bordering on illegal.  
+1 you said it Brother, i'd be pissed too.

tslots":vqthof6z said:
Raising prices is a normal business practice.  But IMO, cancelling already accepted back orders so that ALL customers must pay the higher prices is just greedy and bordering on illegal.  
That would absolutely tick me off, too.

Btw fellas, I talked to one retailer this morning and they said there was NO price increase on Esoterica blends, and they are not raising their prices. I say buy elsewhere while you can.

Here's the reply I got from P&C.com upon inquiring about the price increase -

Hi Chris,

Thanks for contacting Pipes & Cigars. As you are certainly aware, Esoterica
tobacco is extremely difficult to obtain. The perpetual shortage of
Esoterica product has been forcing an increase in our cost for some time and
we could no longer maintain the old price. The new $49.95 price was chosen
to cover our increased costs and allow us a reasonable return on our
investment in time, effort, and money used to acquire it.

Let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with.

DrumsAndBeer":2uzaqv0a said:

Hi Chris,

I call B.S. on this. The other online retailers did not raise their prices, and I've now been in touch with two of them. Both said there was no price increase.

I just don't get how the shortage is affecting their cost if Germain hasn't upped the prices that they sell it to the retailers for..

Lame. & Yeah B.S.

DrumsAndBeer":6luca60k said:

Hi Chris,

Then why are they the only ones I've found to be charging $49.99 for 8oz's
I say it just more greed and BS.

Just an added note. One place I had contacted recently and order Dorchester from canceled my order because they stated they were out and will no longer carry any of there blends. This was Monday and they still have all blends up including Dorchester for sale and the site lets you order. When I had spoken to a rep there yesterday they said they were going to take them down, didn't happen. I emailed them to see what happened, now I wait.

It seems they wish to price at a level that they will not need to worry about sales or replenishment. This way they can say they stock the items in today's competitive e-marketplace, but really not sell it.
No dealing with perpetual backorders, irate customers, etc. - maybe.

And yes, the greed factor may be lurking in there.