P&C Doubles Prices of Esoterica Bags

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JimInks":h3xhqaq2 said:
I call B.S. on this. The other online retailers did not raise their prices, and I've now been in touch with two of them. Both said there was no price increase.
I do too. You put an purchase order into the distributor and wait. I'm willing to bet there are only a few distributors and everyone who is getting overseas products goes through the same companies.

Unless they are talking about the increase in people needed to handle phone sales, I have no idea how a doubled price increase would be affected by rare product. Other than opportunistic reasons.

P&C is a company though. They can charge $1,000,000 for an 8oz bag if they want.

There are other companies who sell the Esoterica line so .... meh...

Hereward":f504y7c7 said:
JimInks":f504y7c7 said:
I call B.S. on this. The other online retailers did not raise their prices, and I've now been in touch with two of them. Both said there was no price increase.
I do too. You put an purchase order into the distributor and wait. I'm willing to bet there are only a few distributors and everyone who is getting overseas products goes through the same companies.
That's right. Everybody in the US gets it from the same place. There's no price increase.

Free market economics in action IMO. If you don't agree with a companies pricing (or any other aspect come to that) then you can choose to not do business with them - there's really not other options for the consumer as I see it.

Well alright, I suppose complaining could be considered an ineffectual option. :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: 

Well, everyone wondered what kind of changes would come when CI bought them out. If in fact thay are marking up at an astronomical rate because it's so popular:

Slartibartfast":w32s1dzz said:
you can choose to not do business with them
If they are being genuine, I'd like to hear what kind of extra effort they're having to go through beyond picking up the phone and placing an order through their distributor. Who knows, maybe their buying off ebay and driving to other B&M's just so they can be the one place that actually has it in stock on line. I kind of doubt it though.

This price increase is nothing but pure greed. Some genius decided that he is reliving the glory years of cigars when hot brands would sell for double. All they are doing by gouging on their prices is telling loyal customers like myself, that we don't give a shit about you, we have a hot product and we are getting our short term dollars. Who ever is in charge is one of the worst business people I have seen as good will is worth far more than a few dollars on one mfgs blends, talk about short sighted.

I have been on the fence about not doing business with them because of their terrible back order issues and this is the final straw, they have lost me as a customer for good. I don't even buy Esoterica blends but I will not support a company whose greed outweighs their doing the right thing. 4noggins and smokingpipes have not jacked their prices so they get all my business from now on. I am going to call PC and cancel all my back orders.

You guys sound like a buncha whinney liberals !! :twisted:  It's ALL about PROFIT and maximizing it at ALL costs! This the 21st century and it's the age of buidness, ethics was a 20th century concept we need to get with the new program :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted: 

monbla256":3lgp44zl said:
You guys sound like a buncha whinney liberals !! :twisted:  It's ALL about PROFIT and maximizing it at ALL costs! This the 21st century and it's the age of buidness, ethics was a 20th century concept we need to get with the new program  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted: 
Monbla,
I personally take offense to that statement, as I am certainly not a liberal. Just a whinney ole cheap bastid!!!! LOL
:lol!: 

What's funny is, $49.95 is such a generic shot in the dark to find a sale threshold. It screams "see if they bite". If it were somewhere between $30-35, maybe it wouldn't be so obvious. Why not just price it at $100 (or $99.95). The same people who pay $49.95 would probably buy it.

There's some stuff people splurge on or maybe got caught up in a "I'm drunk and I didn't hide my credit card from myself" situation. It happens, but dang...

docwatson":oiwripz4 said:
monbla256":oiwripz4 said:
You guys sound like a buncha whinney liberals !! :twisted:  It's ALL about PROFIT and maximizing it at ALL costs! This the 21st century and it's the age of buidness, ethics was a 20th century concept we need to get with the new program  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted: 
Monbla,
I personally take offense to that statement, as I am certainly not a liberal. Just a whinney ole cheap bastid!!!! LOL
Nor am I and I don't call it whining, it's a bitching cheap bastard! 8) 

Cartaphilus":w2fqgdqt said:
docwatson":w2fqgdqt said:
monbla256":w2fqgdqt said:
Monbla,
Nor am I and I don't call it whining, it's a bitching cheap bastard! 8) 
Yes Sir !! Mine was an accident of birth, but you sir are a self made man!! :twisted: :twisted: 

Personally, I would rather not see these kind of threads. I know that sometimes we don't like the pricing. Why? Well, we really do not know their situation. It's possible that their relationship with their distributor has changed for some unknown (to us) reason. Retailers like selling stuff. If a product does not sell for what they are asking, it may change given time. I think it best to let them know directly if you don't like a price and leave it at that. There is plenty of other retailers out there. Speaking with your wallet always speaks louder. They will notice. If they can do something about it, they will.

I suppose that's just my nature. To always try to get along. Don't misunderstand me. If I think I was wronged, I will let them know. I am just not sure that an open internet forum is the best place to do it.

Esoterica has one distributor in the U.S. and they did not increase their prices. I got this info from two online retailers. So, P&C saying the prices were raised is not likely to be true. That's the problem some of us are having: the issues regarding trust and economics. Yes, we can write it off and go elsewhere and get a fairer price, but this incident does the pipe smoking world no good. As for not liking this kind of thread, well, I suppose I can see that, but if we don't help each other, and keep the flow of information readily accessible, then we do ourselves and other pipe smokers a disservice. We are a community bound together by a common interest, and it benefits us to stick together. We'd have a bigger problem if we did not do so. This group is not called "Brothers of Briar" for nothing.

JimInks":5rockhy9 said:
Esoterica has one distributor in the U.S. and they did not increase their prices. I got this info from two online retailers. So, P&C saying the prices were raised is not likely to be true. That's the problem some of us are having: the issues regarding trust and economics. Yes, we can write it off and go elsewhere and get a fairer price, but this incident does the pipe smoking world no good. As for not liking this kind of thread, well, I suppose I can see that, but if we don't help each other, and keep the flow of information readily accessible, then we do ourselves and other pipe smokers a disservice. We are a community bound together by a common interest, and it benefits us to stick together. We'd have a bigger problem if we did not do so. This group is not called "Brothers of Briar" for nothing.
HEAR HEAR!

:evil: 

Cheers,

RR

JimInks":j80tpqmn said:
Jim, I couldn't agree more, well said. We all need to know what these retailers are doing so we all may close out pocket books to them, otherwise they just go one doing what there doing to all us and profiting from there greed.

But you know, Escudo and Silver Flake both cost ~$100.00/pound. Now Esoterica tobaccos cost the same. But in any case I'm not paying it. And I've never joined the hordes trying to get their two hot ticket items, either. Plenty of good tobacco out there without them; I'll take 500 g of GH bulk @$52.50 any day. In the past chronic overspending on pipes and tobacco and cigars left a permanent bad taste in my mouth. So when I stocked up heavily on tobacco earlier this year, the only tinned blend I bought a good deal of was Escudo, which I had to have as I've always loved it. Also, my high-ticket items were 4 pounds of Silver Flake and a half-dozen Fox tins. Pease 8 oz tins I bought in force as $70.00/pound for his famed quality I would always consider a great buy. I grew adept at figuring the pound price for any tobacco and didn't buy many tins that I'd like to have had.

I just ain't paying that high freight. No House of Calabash or Zino Platinum here! But I'm cruising for a box of 24 Padron 1926 Anniversary Belicoso Maduro (5 1/2 X 52) at a great price, ~$200.00 or the Cuban Partagas Lusitanias (7.75 X 49) for the same, so if you get wind of such a deal, please LMK:).

I would bet the price increase they referred to isn't necessarily the product itself, but the cost of doing business in general. Instead of raising prices across the board, on stock that will remain on your shelves, raise the price on something you know will sell.

I rather see a dramatic increase in unobtanium instead of, say, a GLP or McClelland offering.

I don't know. The face of it looks indictable. But, with the unobtainable nature, they just might have entered the grey market to obtain product at an increase in their cost. What the true facts are we still don't know.

When I first came here, I browsed the back articles and remember reading a similar story line about 4noggins who showed up to point out it was a consigned goods order and not their regular practices to blame for what some were calling gouging.

I'm all for giving the other guy the benefit of the doubt when warranted.
But, in most cases if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it's most likely a duck.

Geoff":vxaije2k said:
I don't know.  The face of it looks indictable.  But, with the unobtainable nature, they just might have entered the grey market to obtain product at an increase in their cost.  What the true facts are we still don't know.

When I first came here, I browsed the back articles and remember reading a similar story line about 4noggins who showed up to point out it was a consigned goods order and not their regular practices to blame for what some were calling gouging.

When it comes to spending my hard earned money...I'm spending it with friends...people who count on my trade, who accomodate my needs on an individual basis.  

That would be Rich at 4-Noggins.  I've found him to be fair and more importantly, truthful.  I might pay a few cents/dollars more for an item, but with Rich I know he is going to treat me fairly and honestly....can't beat that for any amount of money.

I agree - Rich is a great dude - and for the few dollars more - though I am not rch - and not Rich..heh heh. P&C lost me as a customer and I spent thousands this year!