Prince Shape and French Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering myself a "collector", if only from the collect to smoke standpoint. I don't have a prince shape yet nor a pipe made in France, and have studied the lines of what is said to be the original prince design by Loewe & Company. This shape is available in variations from several factory made sources, but I see more new and vintage from French companies. I found where GL Pease had some good things to say about this shape. Does anyone smoke one and have any opinions on the shape? What about French makes and their quality, etc.? If I could get a French made prince, that would check off two boxes 😉. Thanks Swede

Last edited:
Swede, not an expert on the shape as I've only had one, a meerschaum lined Savinelli. It was a good smoke. Only French pipes I have are 2 Butz Choquins. One is a great smoker, the other tends to burn hot if I puff too hard. I've read good things about pipes from the St. Claude region of France.

Swede, not an expert on the shape as I've only had one, a meerschaum lined Savinelli. It was a good smoke. Only French pipes I have are 2 Butz Choquins. One is a great smoker, the other tends to burn hot if I puff too hard. I've read good things about pipes from the St. Claude region of France.
Ranger107, I'm looking forward to getting one at some point. I picked up a St. Claude from a somewhat lacking ebay listing, and only went for it because they accepted a $6 offer. I figure not much to lose and may get a winner. I like those Savinelli and some Peterson prince shapes.

I have one prince that is a Peterson second from about 1945 (per my best guess and research). It is a very small pipe, and can smoke a bit hot because of it. I believe that has more to do with the pipe generally being so small that all aspects - to include wall thickness - are reduced, than it does to the shape itself being a poor design or execution.

I like the look and feel of the shape, and do plan on eventually picking up one of the modern Peterson Juniors in the same shape to have as an old vs new comparison, even if just for my pipe rack. As for French pipes, unless one of my unstamped basket pipes is of French origin, I'm afraid I have nothing to offer.

One of my first three nice pipes was a prince made in London. I get those first three a little confused without looking at my trade notes (yes, I kept notes right from the beginning, because I knew trading was going to get hot and heavy right off the bat). We didn't dedicate our pipes back then, but that prince was an Escudo smoking machine. I only have one prince now, but I love the shape. That particular prince was a 16th bent, so I'm bias towards a prince with a slight bend. I think they look a little odd when they're straight.* The downside of that slight bend is that it is unavoidable that you get rim blackening on the side closest to you. I know of a person who has several Dunhill princes, it being his favorite shape. Princes are usually smaller pipes, more in that group 3 or small group 4 range, if you go by Dunhill sizing like some of us do (was just how I was mentored from the beginning). They can look clunky, and with poor forward balance, when they get larger, at least I think they can. My one warning is that for some reason, they can be poorly drilled. I don't know what it is about them, but I've noticed that the hole is often at the bottom of the bowl wall rather then drilled slightly into the bottom. The shape lends itself to having more wood at the bottom, so I don't know why makers don't take advantage of that. It's already a rather small chamber, and then you have the airhole on the side of it, forcing you to futz with the tobacco at the bottom if you want to smoke the bowl all the way down. So yeah, I guess there's more to consider here than one might assume. Nice shape. Just be picky.

*feel like I'm writing medieval erotica for the monarchy

By my estimations, Briar Works makes a nice, somewhat affordable prince. They're out of stock now, but they come in batches.
https://briarworksusa.com/products/briarworks-classic-prince-pipe-c121

One of my first three nice pipes was a prince made in London. I get those first three a little confused without looking at my trade notes (yes, I kept notes right from the beginning, because I knew trading was going to get hot and heavy right off the bat). We didn't dedicate our pipes back then, but that prince was an Escudo smoking machine. I only have one prince now, but I love the shape. That particular prince was a 16th bent, so I'm bias towards a prince with a slight bend. I think they look a little odd when they're straight.* The downside of that slight bend is that it is unavoidable that you get rim blackening on the side closest to you. I know of a person who has several Dunhill princes, it being his favorite shape. Princes are usually smaller pipes, more in that group 3 or small group 4 range, if you go by Dunhill sizing like some of us do (was just how I was mentored from the beginning). They can look clunky, and with poor forward balance, when they get larger, at least I think they can. My one warning is that for some reason, they can be poorly drilled. I don't know what it is about them, but I've noticed that the hole is often at the bottom of the bowl wall rather then drilled slightly into the bottom. The shape lends itself to having more wood at the bottom, so I don't know why makers don't take advantage of that. It's already a rather small chamber, and then you have the airhole on the side of it, forcing you to futz with the tobacco at the bottom if you want to smoke the bowl all the way down. So yeah, I guess there's more to consider here than one might assume. Nice shape. Just be picky.

*feel like I'm writing medieval erotica for the monarchy

By my estimations, Briar Works makes a nice, somewhat affordable prince. They're out of stock now, but they come in batches.
https://briarworksusa.com/products/briarworks-classic-prince-pipe-c121
These are great things to consider, especially about the drilling. I'm leaning toward an ebay one to start, so will be a shot in the dark. I've been comparing all the various one's shape to this one by Loewe. I've decided the bent stems look best to me and also those without metal at the tenon, although I do like a Peterson 406.
Interesting you also like the Briarworks, as I have that one on my short list. Maybe by Muletown 2024, I can pick one up.
I missed a Sasieni two dot on ebay that had a non original stem.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=49006

Got a few, all Pete 406's which have a slight bend in the stem which I quite like the look of.

They also do a chunkier version, the 408, which I've been lucky enough to come into possession of one recently. Which is also quite handsome.

All of them smoke very well and I've not seen a drilling problem in any of them and my Pete princes range from 1960's to current production.

Go with whatever calls to you is my rule of thumb here.

One of my quests had been realized-a made in France briar pipe which seems to have certain French flair in my eyes. This is a Ropp Virgin De Luxe 951 with cursive COM label. I'm pretty sure the band is not original as it obscures part of the nomenclature, but it's nicely done and the band has a mark. The mortise is in good shape and the pipe looks lightly used. I like the stem, but the slot is a bit narrow. To be smoked as soon as cleaned up, and thinking a flake is in order. It is a narrow but deep bowl, good open airway and mighty clean thankfully. It is pretty light, and unexpectedly, it sits! I could not find the shape number or date it, and am not sure what shape would best describe it. What say ye?
Now, to find that prince shape.
20230927_180409.jpg
20230927_180323.jpg

20230927_180613.jpg

Last edited:
One of my quests had been realized-a made in France briar pipe which seems to have certain French flair in my eyes. This is a Ropp Virgin De Luxe 951 with cursive COM label. I'm pretty sure the band is not original as it obscures part of the nomenclature, but it's nicely done and the band has a mark. The mortise is in good shape and the pipe looks lightly used. I like the stem, but the slot is a bit narrow. To be smoked as soon as cleaned up, and thinking a flake is in order. It is a narrow but deep bowl, good open airway and mighty clean thankfully. It is pretty light, and unexpectedly, it sits! I could not find the shape number or date it, and am not sure what shape would best describe it. What say ye?
Now, to find that prince shape.
View attachment 13033View attachment 13034
View attachment 13032
Why not? If it doesn't work out, you can always try something else.

That is one elegant pipe Swede, sure it'll clean up nicely.

It's not a shape I recognise but if there isn't a name for that shape, there should be. Now I want one...