Prince Shape and French Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, that's what I have almost settled on, and a tall one at that. It will get smoked today, as it cleaned up easily. I have a shorter acorn in an S&R pipes pipe, so I'll dug it out and compare. The "point" that the Ropp seems to have on the bottom is from where it was carved to have a flat place to make it sit.

Swede, not an expert on the shape as I've only had one, a meerschaum lined Savinelli. It was a good smoke. Only French pipes I have are 2 Butz Choquins. One is a great smoker, the other tends to burn hot if I puff too hard. I've read good things about pipes from the St. Claude region of France.
I have found Butz-Choquin pipes to be hit or miss.

I've smoked this and will post in the other thread. On the shape, here is another couple perspectives (beside an S&R Pipes acorn), and to my eye it is between an acorn and an egg shape. I like it, and that pipes as other things are made as a mimic of something in nature. Guess that's just natural 😌
20230928_135251.jpg

20230928_123358.jpg

Acorn, shoulda known. I think the Ropp is the spitting image of an acorn, at least the ones we get here in Aus, minus the cap.

Will be keeping any eye out for one here for sure.

Acorn, shoulda known. I think the Ropp is the spitting image of an acorn, at least the ones we get here in Aus, minus the cap.

That's great and I hope you find one. It smokes well except hard to burn the tobacco completely at the bottom. I've gotten well over 30 minutes out of it. I've looked for the 951 shape, but can't find that one in an acorn. It may be an old shape. BTW, acorns in nature are fascinating to me. So many shapes based on the species, and some good for food.

I was taking a short break today for a quick hike among the oaks and there were lots of acorns on the ground. I had my Ropp with me, so just for kicks, I found a like shaped acorn. Nice similarity I think.
20231003_143154.jpg