SOTD: Shave of the day

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

RetLEO-07

Reaction score
Morning BoB!! Last shave of the work week. As is my wont, it’s a Bay Rum shave. Have a good ‘un!

eggman

Reaction score
Didn’t get a pic of everything but I ordered a tub of Taylor’s of old bond street Sandalwood shave cream. Awesome stuff and slick as owl crap. 1939 Gillette DE razor a old made rite badger brush. Can’t remember which blade I used but it was in the razor emporium starter razor set.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
I can definitely be dense, but wet shaving has really pushed the extent in which I'm slow to learn. I started out with the standard 3-pass process. With the grain (WTG), Cross the grain (XTG). Against the grain (ATG). I eventually found it lacking, mostly because that single XTG was insufficient for my beard growth. Each side of my face mostly grows in the direction of chin to ear. Going with XTG in one direction meant that I would basically leave one side of my face lesser shaved after that pass. The answer? A 4-pass process. WTG--XTG right to left--XTG left to right--ATG. Which created a new problem: shaving for 45 minutes. Now, a less dense person would quickly remedy that ridiculous time suck. Not I. Every time I shaved, I was having moments of internal dialogue that I had to try something else. I even often entertained a 1-pass shave (WTG) and just be done with it. See...if I'm going to shave, I want a baby smooth shave with no missed spots. It's a lofty goal to think that is going to happen every shave. I didn't want to find myself a couple hours after a shave being disappointed. I had to really fight that...and much harder than I care to admit.

After too long of time, I finally tried something new: the 2-pass shave. WTG--ATG (with buffing technique to clean up those feisty spots). It's been working surprisingly well. If I had to guess, I'm getting 90% of the shave vs my 4-pass process, but I'm saving 15 minutes or so. I'm good with that exchange.

My goodness am I slow to try something new or to connect cause with effect (mostly in the building lather area).

Stick

Reaction score
Zeno Marx":eg7jxrhq said:
I can definitely be dense, but wet shaving has really pushed the extent in which I'm slow to learn.  I started out with the standard 3-pass process.  With the grain (WTG), Cross the grain (XTG).  Against the grain (ATG).  I eventually found it lacking, mostly because that single XTG was insufficient for my beard growth.  Each side of my face mostly grows in the direction of chin to ear.  Going with XTG in one direction meant that I would basically leave one side of my face lesser shaved after that pass.  The answer?  A 4-pass process.  WTG--XTG right to left--XTG left to right--ATG.  Which created a new problem:  shaving for 45 minutes.  Now, a less dense person would quickly remedy that ridiculous time suck.  Not I.  Every time I shaved, I was having moments of internal dialogue that I had to try something else.  I even often entertained a 1-pass shave (WTG) and just be done with it.  See...if I'm going to shave, I want a baby smooth shave with no missed spots.  It's a lofty goal to think that is going to happen every shave.  I didn't want to find myself a couple hours after a shave being disappointed.  I had to really fight that...and much harder than I care to admit.

After too long of time, I finally tried something new:  the 2-pass shave.  WTG--ATG (with buffing technique to clean up those feisty spots).  It's been working surprisingly well.  If I had to guess, I'm getting 90% of the shave vs my 4-pass process, but I'm saving 15 minutes or so.  I'm good with that exchange.

My goodness am I slow to try something new or to connect cause with effect (mostly in the building lather area).
I've trod this path, Zeno, and it took me approx. 5 years to get to the point where I'm happy with the end results. My morning routine is pretty hectic with getting the kids out of the door so after a hot shower and face lather, like you I'm an ATG WTG man. Some days I'll even shorten that to ATG only, but whichever I choose it's always a short rapid buffing technique too. This leaves me a very close shave that tempts one to admire the smoothness throughout the day.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
One of the tools I've been unsatisfied with is the bowl. I don't want to spend more than $5-7 on a bowl. I wish I knew how to throw clay. I'd try to make my own and fit it to a chocolate melter to keep the lather warm. Not a huge concern, but if I was going to make something of my own, I'd experiment with luxury.

I don't think you're limited to a shaving bowl. I know some of the UK guys have found textured bowls in craft stores, but I haven't found anything to my liking in nearby stores. I also know that Stirling is selling a dog bowl as a shaving bowl. It has little raised clips in the bottom so dogs won't eat too fast and get sick, and it is small for a smaller dog or for traveling. Timeless makes a bowl that seems like it would work well, but I'm not paying $12+shipping.
https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/timeless-razor-blue-plastic-shaving-bowl/

The other day, I got a take-out bowl container that is working really well. The one problem is that it retains zero heat, but I can live with that. It was free. Like one of the smaller ones here with all the ridges on the bottom.
https://www.anchorpackaging.com/brands/incredibowls-2/

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
I was really lazy today. I settled for a single pass, WTG shave. A long time ago I was gifted a tube of Dr.Carver's Easy Shave Butter. I tried it once and thought I'd save it for traveling rather than bringing soap, a brush, etc. I don't like this stuff. You use a lot of it. I don't like the consistency of it. It's sort of gooey and clogs up the razor. Doesn't really rinse off well. Isn't that slick at all. I felt the razor skipping a couple times. When I was rinsing off the razor, some of it wouldn't come off until I rubbed it with my fingertip. The post-shave was odd. I didn't feel dirty or like there was a layer of something on my face, but I didn't feel fresh and clean either. I'm still going to save it for when I travel, but if I was going to do this again, I'd grab the Cremo.