Synjeco Group Buy Spring 2015 - SG Plugs, Schürch

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nismo270r

Reaction score
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!

By now, many of you may be familiar with the group buys I have setup in the past. If not the you can check out the first one here and the second one here.
Trying to keep on the schedule of twice a year, it's time for the Spring 2015 Synjeco Group Buy!  :cheers:

The time frame we're looking at is the order being placed mid-late March. If you are interested, please post up here or PM me and I will put you down on the list. If you know what you would like to order already, you can let me know that as well.

The tentative last day to get in on the group buy will be Saturday March 14th, but this may be extended depending on the size of the order and if we need to adjust anything.

So everyone understands the total costs they will see with this group buy, here are the details:
  • International shipping charges for the order will be split among all members of the group buy. To fairly split this cost, each member's share will be calculated based upon the total weight of that member's order.
  • Domestic shipping charges will be calculated after the order is received by myself and is broken down into individual orders. In order to reduce domestic shipping charges, I can ship bulks like the 250g Samuel Gawith plugs without their box to try and fit them into a small flat rate box. This would obviously depend on the total size of your order. I will address this again once the order arrives and I'm figuring up all the domestic shipping charges.
  • There is an international transaction fee of 1% of the total transaction from AmEx. This will be split equally among all members of the group buy.
  • All prices will be calculated in CHF (Swiss Francs) and the final exchange rate will be calculated at the time the total payment is processed.
  • Payments will be accepted via Paypal Gift, Cashier's Check/Money Order, or Personal Check.
Here's a link to their pipe tobacco page: Synjeco Pipe Tobaccos

Start putting together your lists and let me know! Again, I'm looking to place the order around mid-late March. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me or send me an email.

Is the idea here 250 gr plugs for cheap?

The OP is clear, but that website is not "user friendly".

Not in, just curious.

DireWolf":dv0wd9ni said:
Is the idea here 250 gr plugs for cheap?

The OP is clear, but that website is not "user friendly".

Not in, just curious.
It's not necessarily cheaper. With the current exchange rate take St. James Plug for instance. It's 50 CHF, roughly $54 USD for a 250g plug. That's just under $11 per 50g, which is a little high for a 50g SG tin which run around $9 depending on where you get it from. This doesn't including shipping (both international and domestic) either. The thing here is, you can't get St. James Plug anywhere in the states. The same goes for Full Virginia Plug, the Schürch blends, the Synjeco blends...It's more of an opportunity to pick up some blends we may not otherwise have a chance to try.

That was my second guess.

I'm to my ears right now, but new here - so I appreciate the info.

Maybe the next time.

Thumbs up for the effort, too.

I'll be in on this one. Now, if I could only remember what the blend was a bunch of us got excited about them carrying at the end of last year. . . .

DrT999":gi59yctr said:
I'll be in on this one.  Now, if I could only remember what the blend was a bunch of us got excited about them carrying at the end of last year. . . .
Was it Greenodd?
I'm in!
Mike.

The Euro took a quite large drop, and buying pipes from Italy, etc. now is quite attractive. But the Swiss removed their SF to Euro cap, so that has jolted that ratio up. How has all this affected our buying Swiss stuff with USD?

hp
les

DrT999":ttgvz73w said:
I'll be in on this one.  Now, if I could only remember what the blend was a bunch of us got excited about them carrying at the end of last year. . . .
fsu92john":ttgvz73w said:
MichaelM":ttgvz73w said:
Was it Greenodd?
I'm in!
Mike.
Got you all down, and yes Greenodd Rope was one of the big hits. It's the thinner Va/Per rope from Synjeco. G&H produce the ropes for Synjeco while SG produces their mixtures.

lestrout":shssi7pr said:
The Euro took a quite large drop, and buying pipes from Italy, etc. now is quite attractive.  But the Swiss removed their SF to Euro cap, so that has jolted that ratio up.  How has all this affected our buying Swiss stuff with USD?

hp
les
Les, today's exchange rate is 1 CHF = $1.08 USD, so it's slightly higher than when we ran the previous group buy (1.066). When it's said and done, it comes down to less than a $1 USD (~$0.70) difference with today's exchange rate.

Count me in again!  Will PM list.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift. May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift. May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung, May you stay forever young! Bob Dylan

zunismoke":bkwv5qld said:
Count me in again!  Will PM list.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift. May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift. May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung, May you stay forever young! Bob Dylan
Got your PM and have you down, thanks!

I'm in this time around - I'm looking at what to order and should have a PM to you in a day or two.

Having not had Synjeco or Schurch tobaccos in the past, but knowing they're SG or GH manufactured, can I assume I'm in for some Lakeland essence here? Anyone with experience care to give me a heads up on which blends lean more heavily on the essence and which are more straightforward?

idbowman":reyqfmgn said:
I'm in this time around - I'm looking at what to order and should have a PM to you in a day or two.

Having not had Synjeco or Schurch tobaccos in the past, but knowing they're SG or GH manufactured, can I assume I'm in for some Lakeland essence here?  Anyone with experience care to give me a heads up on which blends lean more heavily on the essence and which are more straightforward?
Yes, there is a resemblance. They're high quality though, just like SG or G&H. The "Elephant Dung" is a superb smoke. The recipe is plain simple, 50/50 Virginia/Latakia but it's awesome. Haven't smoked that one for ages.

I don't get it however, except for their own blends, why would somebody from US order more expensive tobacco from overseas when you have them at home and at lower prices? I've noticed on the pictures some Sam Gawith stuff along with their pouches, so I'm curious.

We don't have many of these in the US.  Synjeco and Shurch branded tobaccos aren't available except from the oversees market, and some of the SG blends are only available in certain forms (we can get FV flake, but I don't think I've ever seen the plug version available here, at least as far as I know). I don't know about everyone else in that participates, but my order will only include those blends not available locally.

idbowman":prh5oz2i said:
We don't have many of these in the US.  Synjeco and Shurch branded tobaccos aren't available except from the oversees market, and some of the SG blends are only available in certain forms (we can get FV flake, but I don't think I've ever seen the plug version available here, at least as far as I know).  I don't know about everyone else in that participates, but my order will only include those blends not available locally.
You're right, my bad. I didn't see there were only SG plugs in the box.

I would recommend ordering the "Elephant Dung" in case you haven't tried it. Awesome smoke, personally my favourite of all Synjeco stuff. Since I've seen this topic, I'm thinking of making an order myself.

We're coming up on the last week to get your orders in! Shoot me a PM if you are interested in joining in on the group buy, thanks!