The 1st Annual Ken Collins Exchange.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel badly about the photo thing...I'll try to do that by mid-week...but I had to chime in about my box. After all the relatives and other company had eaten us out of house and home and finally taken their leave I dove for the box...and was not disappointed. Quite the contrary. I was amazed at the level and selection. So, in no particular order, inside the box was:

1 - half pound bag of John Patton's, "Virginia Squire". (I''ve not tried it before, but it sure smells good!)
1 - half pound bag of John Patton's "Stormfront". (YES! There IS an Easter bunny! - This is my favorite blend in the world.)
1 - tin of KingFisher - (Love it! Haven't had it for years. Will soon love it anew.)
1 - tin of Dunhill Flake - (Seriously good stuff.)
1 - tin of Hamborger Veermaster - (Windjammer 'baccy - one of the world's great Virginias.)
1 - tubby tin of Rattray's Black Virginia - (About which I know nothing!)
3 - bundles of cleaners - (Something I always need and use...a great addition.)
1 - Amazing Bjarne (handmade) Straight Apple Panel...Diamond Shank...Sorta Lovat Stemed. Its Partially Rusticated with a Smooth Panel on each side of the bowl. The grain is stunning on this one. It's like...if the bowl dove into a vat of georgous grain...chin first...and it streaked up the front and sides of the bowl at about a 15 degree angle, leaving the back of the bowl totally birdseyed...that would be this pipe. Very traditional, esp. for a Danish, and very masculine. Hand made certainly. It looks as though the rustication was added after the pipe was made as it covers part of the stamping...and looks JUST like the "micro-rustication" that is the hallmark of Brackner pipes. A real prize, and one that will always have a special place and bring good thoughts of the sender.

Timm - Damn fine box my friend.

Ken Collins Appreciation Society Gift Box on its way. Hopefully will reach its destination by the 28th.

OK - I'm the first and loudest to say that I'm a lousy picture taker, exp. with my wife's mini thing...but it serves. Be that as is may, here's a few snaps of the booty.

DSCN0417.jpg
[/img]

DSCN0423.jpg
[/img]

DSCN0419.jpg

That should give you some idea...excellent loadout!

Good haul!

I was pleasantly surprised at how great of a smoke that Storm Front is. No bite. Satisfying strength. Just load and go. Tamp it when the pipe trys to go out. Smokes to the bottom of the bowl with no attention whatsoever.

Alright! Looks like the eagle has landed. The wife tells me there is a box waiting for me when I get home...And man was there. I'll try to get a pic soon. But here is the list of goodies!

1: 2oz C&D Pegasus '06
1: 2oz C&D Sunday Picnic '07
1: 2oz GLP Meridian '10
1: 50g McClelland Dark Star '05
1: 50g McClelland St. James Woods
1: 50g Dunhill Mild Blend '05
1: 2oz Bufflehead Decoy Duck '04
1: 8oz Bufflehead Wood Duck '04
1 pack pipe cleaners
Plus 2 very cool pipes! One very light weight bent dublin kind of number. And one chubby Anima. Both look great and I can't wait to smoke 'em!!

I am so excited about this box. It is loaded with good stuff! Thanks!!!!

Again I'll try to get a pic after the kids are in bed!

Ok looks like the bent Billiard is an early Brian Ruthenberg. Also I forgot to mention one more tin of Esoterica Tilbury!

That's a great load! Excellent!

So - where does anyone get Bufflehead? I've seen it on the review site, but never been able to find it. I thought it might no longer be in production, etc. Is it still being made (yes, I know the tins in the exchange box were older...but it never hurts to ask! 8)

Blackhorse":5yooxrkq said:
That's a great load! Excellent!

So - where does anyone get Bufflehead? I've seen it on the review site, but never been able to find it. I thought it might no longer be in production, etc. Is it still being made (yes, I know the tins in the exchange box were older...but it never hurts to ask! 8)
It's gone. David Windsor was put out of business by the Missouri tax people about 5 years ago.

Blackhorse":u5vjpi0o said:
Well, unfortunately, that makes sense...in a way...you know what I mean.
Actually, it didn't. If he'd sold the tobacco in bags all would have been well. But he used tins, which triggered some obscure sub-paragraph in the law that left him stuck with back taxes on 30 years of sales.

I hope the just-out-of-college asshat career climber who got his brownie points for digging up obscure legal trivia---"Hey, boss, look at this!"---enjoyed his "success." After all, even tiny-minded, greedy little vermin like him don't get to destroy an old man's only livelihood every day.

This is was waiting for me when I got home:

Thank you very much whoever you are, it was a terrible day at work and this has brightened my day!

thats exactly what it is...and I know who sent it without even looking at the list...lol..
Same for the Bufflehead Bomb.. lol..

Some good plays so far fellers!!!!

You're exactly right it is the pipe sock. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.