The 2012 forum pipe thread (merged and edited for clarity)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to bring the tamper into this thread also kyle? We didn't derail the bomber thread enough? I kid :) I would love to join in for the POY. I remember the vote thread last year sad it didn't come to be, but I would be glad to start saving money as soon as you guys start getting serious. Wonder if Yakslon would be up to the task now that he is making pipes again?

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t5942p15-my-new-pipe-yakslon

On that page he did some pipes for pipe-club.com. Wonder is someone could contact him to see how that worked out and what they prices where?

Don't look at me, someone else brought that thing in here. :scratch: I've washed my hands of it. :lol:

8)

So who could we elect to spearhead this idea and make it a reality? :?:

i.keenum":gr9737vc said:
So who could we elect to spearhead this idea and make it a reality? :?:
I vote i.keenum, just to be difficult.

I can't remover what I had for breakfast, no way I could handle this lol.

i.keenum":qg7zj95c said:
I can't remover what I had for breakfast, no way I could handle this lol.
Try a laxative. That will speed up the removal of breakfast.

:lol:

I'm currently on the committee working on the annual slipjoint knife over at bladeforums (sorry about the name drop) and I'll share some of my experience over there....

Since the knives are made in the name of the site, we had to get full approval from the site's owner. In the past, that meant one VERY generous member putting up a surety bond from their own money to make sure no one skipped town and besmirched the name of the site. Then, the appointed committee, consisting of senior forum personnel approved by the moderators and at implicitely by the owner, would start running idea threads on the site. Then the top five knife patterns were voted on, then details were worked out. During this time, the committee would then contact some of the smaller knife manufacturers and see who would be interested. Finally, a rough number of proposed knives and a complete set of knife specifications were sent to the manufacturers and see who could come closest to the proposed knife for the lowest price. Then everyone would send money orders for the full price of the knife and shippers to one of the trusted committee members, the knives would be purchased, ordered, shipped out to the committee member, who would then individually package and ship all the knives. The process has been changed this year, where the forum owner is doing the negotiating with the manufacturers, purchasing the knives, then selling them through his on-line store. This is a little more money, but a lot less hassle, no one had to put up a wad of dough for a surety bond, and the owner's intellectual property was protected.

We've done this for several years. Sometimes the knife has been of a current, but not often produced pattern, an entirely new pattern that the manufacturer reserved the right to reuse, or existing patterns with special touches. One thing that came out of this that makes every years' knife identifiable is a re-useable bladeforums tang stamp that's passed to each manufacturer each year. besides the name, the stamp has (had) 10 dots on it. Another dot is ground off each year so that the knife's year is identifiable by the number of pips.

No matter what, BoB's owner should be consulted on this. I'm a bit busy to help out too much, but I can help consult on this if anyone's interested.

We never go to that kind of trouble. It's just a matter of someone coming to the admin with a proposal for a pipe, with enough proven interest and a carver who says he's happy to do it, and a plan that seems simple and trouble free. Last time I think Carlos came up with a design, Mark Tinsky agreed to make it and put a BOB POY stamp on it, and and people ordered directly from Mark. No middle man needed, no bonds or icensing, just a simple workable popular plan.

I still like the idea of a bob cob. I have a plan in mind, and am willing to spearhead this idea, but would like to see some interest first. I am going to cross post this because it can be separate from the "Club Pipe" which should be briar.

The plan would have a distributor make a stamp for either the bottom or side of the shank for a MM Cob shape. A batch would be made and sold until gone, then a new batch (different shape) could be made. I think a batch of 100 would be a good number, so we are talking about a couple of hundred bucks for the cobs plus the stamp. I could swing the "front money" if necessary, but might like a partner or two. I would want to do this through an extablished dealer (I will shoot out some emails, volunteers to the front for those sellers who read this)

Anyway, shoot me a PM if interested in selling, fronting $, but most importantly if you would want to buy one.

jefe1037":gdaquu99 said:
I still like the idea of a bob cob. I have a plan in mind, and am willing to spearhead this idea, but would like to see some interest first. I am going to cross post this because it can be separate from the "Club Pipe" which should be briar.

The plan would have a distributor make a stamp for either the bottom or side of the shank for a MM Cob shape. A batch would be made and sold until gone, then a new batch (different shape) could be made. I think a batch of 100 would be a good number, so we are talking about a couple of hundred bucks for the cobs plus the stamp. I could swing the "front money" if necessary, but might like a partner or two. I would want to do this through an extablished dealer (I will shoot out some emails, volunteers to the front for those sellers who read this)

Anyway, shoot me a PM if interested in selling, fronting $, but most importantly if you would want to buy one.
Count me in for a group cob buy.

Cheers,

RR

Has anyone given any thought to our brothers that ONLY smoke ARTISAN pipes? We can't leave them in the cold on this. Maybe an "Artison" Cob? :p

monbla256":3unz4w0d said:
Has anyone given any thought to our brothers that ONLY smoke ARTISAN pipes? We can't leave them in the cold on this. Maybe an "Artison" Cob? :p
Maybe we can have MM put a nice coat of black lacquer on the outside of those folks cobs to make it seem more fancy :lol!:

Hermit":b7fdfg4t said:
Dutch":b7fdfg4t said:
Wow Hermit, I love that Tinskey doggie, very cool! :cheers: :cheers:
You can still get one.
Mark liked it so much it's a catalog shape.
Shape 13.
I think Carlos put that one together.

I bought several of those. It's all Mark's shape. It was just amazing coincidence that when I contacted him, and the shape I was thinking about was something he had just done. We promoted, and Mark created a way to order and check out on his site for us and anyone else that wanted one. You could request different finish, color, bits. All his usual options. But for us, he stamped them "BoB Forum 2008".

I want one even more now that carlos is taking about past ones. :bounce:

Well, I'll buy one of those cobs.

but I'd like to see what it looks like , and how much it costs , before I truly commit .
The cob idea is cool, but, I dont collect cobs , I smoke the crap out of them !
I do however collect briars, I treat them different than I do my cobs. So I might agree to put out some big money for a briar, but , A club cob, is just going to be something of a shelf sitter for me. Kind of a novelty. And I dont put out alot of money for novelties.
So, let me just put it this way. A bob cob for $25.00 or less, sure , I'm in.
above that, ? it will have to be somethin really special .

I think this should be a vote. as it seems we are going to get whatever "the guy who jumps in first to take control" wants. Not exactly what we all as a group want.
And that alone makes me want to shy away. As I dont go for that at all. This is a "group" we should vote as a group. Not just go with whats easiest. Or with, whatever is done quickest, by whoever.
I call for a vote.
My vote is Briar.
I agree to go with the "majority" rules,,,cob or briar.
and this vote should be made public, not done behind the scenes, via PM, to "Anyone". If this vote is NOT done publicly, you can definitely count me OUT!

kaiser83":f3gskw4a said:
monbla256":f3gskw4a said:
Maybe we can have MM put a nice coat of black lacquer on the outside of those folks cobs to make it seem more fancy :lol!:
That's funny! .... The Missouri "Dress Pipe"