The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok thanks guys. I't looks like the stuff in this thread: https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t25458p15-mold-in-tobacco-jars
I think i understand what plume is now. I was skeptical for some time that plume was a myth

DrT999":6uptyb7p said:
RE: GH Brown Irish Sweet Chocolate Rose

A friend in the UK took pity on my and acted as the middleman so I could get some from 'My Smoking Shop'.  It comes in little pouches of at most .4 of an ounce or a bit less.

I was a bit disappointed with the first sample. It was certainly Brown X; based on (distant) memories of Brown X and more recent of Brown Bogie, it was smoother than I expected but it wasn't sweet and the chocolate was so faint I might have imagined it and the rose even less so. I could almost imagine it was plain Brown X.  We'll see if the other samples are the same.
I know what you mean about the faint topping doc. I ordered some Sweet Aniseed, Sweet Licorice and Licorice Pigtail from mr snuff. The Sweet Aniseed has a decent topping, which i like although I wouldnt pinpoint it at aniseed. It's rather tasty actually and way more flavored than cherry, coconut or maple that I've tried. The licorice is similar but much lighter and disappointing with the pigtail being the same. I like the aniseed a lot though, it's too bad the licorice doesn't have a heavy topping that actually taste like licorice. Chocolate Rose sounds quite interesting...you could probably achieve a similar blend by mixing bob chocolate with grasmere..although it wouldn't be a rope and wouldnt be irish :clown:

Bugsahearn":31szj9i8 said:
you could probably achieve a similar blend by mixing bob chocolate with grasmere
Yeah, I guess I was expecting a topping similar to 2/3 Bob's chocolate 1/3 Grasmere or DP Rose/Geranium. Silly me!

GH Balkan Flake -- this doesn't seem to be available in the US (at least I haven't seen it) so when my friend sent me the Irish Chocolate Rose, I also got 25g of this to try. Unsurprisingly, it's the same as the more readily available (at least in the US) GH Balkan Mixture, except in thick flake form. Still, I wanted to try it to find out. Just in case anyone else was wondering.

DrT999":71bnj77n said:
 Unsurprisingly, it's the same as the more readily available (at least in the US) GH Balkan Mixture, except in thick flake form.
I'm a big fan of Balkan Mixture, is it worth tracking down the flake?

Dave_In_Philly":5mchl2xo said:
DrT999":5mchl2xo said:
 Unsurprisingly, it's the same as the more readily available (at least in the US) GH Balkan Mixture, except in thick flake form.
I'm a big fan of Balkan Mixture, is it worth tracking down the flake?
I wouldn't think there's that much difference.

Balkan mixture is good but I find it a bit salty. I Much prefer commonwealth which is perfect and SL. I've never tried Balkan mix in the tin but I've read it has a lakeland note not present in the bulk? Is this true? I would love a heavy latakia mix with a "soapy" topping

Bugsahearn":n7diwgqt said:
Balkan mixture is good but I find it a bit salty. I Much prefer commonwealth which is perfect and SL. I've never tried Balkan mix in the tin but I've read it has a lakeland note not present in the bulk? Is this true? I would love a heavy latakia mix with a "soapy" topping
To me, the topping is a bit like pine resin (like in retsina) with a menthol after-effect.

Bugsahearn":smfmmmf5 said:
I don't get that from the bulk? Do you find a difference?
I don't think I've had the bulk mixture, but do get it from the tinned. Perhaps my reaction to it is uncommon :oops: but that's what I get

No that's what I've read too. I don't get any topping in the bulk...but reviews for lakelands are hard to judge. Many claim squadron leader is very soapy or the like you have to take it with a grain of salt. Have you tried any of the GH latakia mixtures?

Bugsahearn":5ypundsg said:
No that's what I've read too. I don't get any topping in the bulk...but reviews for lakelands are hard to judge. Many claim squadron leader is very soapy or the like you have to take it with a grain of salt. Have you tried any of the GH latakia mixtures?

Scotch Mixture has some latakia and is light on the Lakelands, Bob's Square Cut Unscented was lighter in latakia and was actually unscented, and of course Bob's Chocolate Flake has a little latakia and light Lakelands. I don't think I've tried any others besides the Balkans

Anyone ever smoked Bosun plug, Coniston plug or Ennerdale plug? What are they like? How does ennerdale plug compare to flake? more scented?

Cherry cream flake: this is a pure Virginia with "cherry cream" topping. It's not exactly cherry but it has tart fruity essence with the creaminess of KCF. The tart sweetness compliments the Virginia so incredibly this by far the absolute best Virginia flake I've smoked. The topping isn't overwhelming but it's much more than faint topping of glengary. It's really unique and delicious and so perfect it's the best summer evening smoke in my current arsenal. It's wonderful to have a blend like this without burley as in en resale or Kendal cream. Highly reccomened for Lakeland lovers.

Bugsahearn":k2p32fw5 said:
Anyone ever smoked Bosun plug, Coniston plug or Ennerdale plug? What are they like? How does ennerdale plug compare to flake? more scented?

Here's A Link to a review that comes pretty close to what I have found while smoking Bosun Cut Plug. It's the one by Ehrling (69) dated 2031-11-27. BCP and Grasmere are my two favorite Lakeland style tobacco but on occasion I will smoke a bowl of Ennerdale. I haven't bought any GH&Co. products since the two companies moved into the same building so if there have been any changes I'm not aware of them. :)

AJ

Bosun Cut Plug and Ennerdale are regular smokes for me. Both are excellent examples of the style; Ennerdale is sweet, herbal/floral, and fairly mild, while Bosun CP is stronger and has a darker flavor. It's been a while since I smoked Coniston. I haven't tried the Ennerdale Plug.

Dock":hxbm8iio said:
The one issue that I find with some of their VA and burley blends is that they lean towards the VERY soapy side.
I love their tobaccos, but fear the floral soap scent. I imagine they have vats of the stuff that they spray on visitors too.

I don't smoke FVF very often but when I crack a tin I smoke through the thing in a few days. This time of year only Virginia's will do it seems. I've been smoking canon plug, grousemoor plug, FVF and cherry cream exclusively lately.

Some other GH blends I've tried:

Carribean coconut: really sweet aromatic fuller than american delight. More caramel than coconut...goopey and very sweet but a great for when you want a sugary candy smoke.

Bobs choc plug: way more chocolate than the flake or square...I got less latakia but could be wrong. It's real good smoke.

Dark plug rose: dark plug with the grasmere topping. Exactly as you'd imagine but I don't find the rose geranium topping too extreme. The dark plug taste overpowers the topping since it's so strong...if you like strong and rose is your fave you'd love this.