The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blackhorse":48ned68g said:
And as usual monblablabla is full of it.  lol

Please get over yourself, stop trolling re these blends and try to remember that Lakeland is a geographic designation, not a content description. Many of the blends produced in the Lakeland district are straight as an arrow...no scenting at all.
Approve of this message 100%! One of the reasons I don't post on Brothers much anymore is because of the constant trolling. We all know who likes McClelland and who likes Gawith Hogarth......who smokes aromatics and who likes the English blends. No need to pop into a thread where enjoyable and meaningful conversation is taking place to state the obvious for the umpteenth time that your brand is better. It gets really old and I became a lurker because of it....eventually to the point where I only lurk on here about once a week.

With that said, back to the G&H thread. So glad this thread popped back up. I still remember when Dock created it and it was definitely a really great resource for me when I first started getting into the great tobaccos produced by G&H. Currently, I've been enjoying some well aged Dark Flake unscented. Absolutely no soap essence at all...just a wonderful dark fired cigar like taste. I also keep Dark Bird's Eye on hand and when I do get in the mood for the Lakeland scented stuff, I always have Coniston Cut Plug and No. 7 Broken Flake on hand.

Again, so happy that this thread is back up. Looking forward to some meaningful conversation about these great blends. By the way, anyone hear any updates on the G&H/Samuel Gawith merger? I am still curious to see if we will see collaboration blends from the two companies in the future? Would be really cool IMO!

Cheers,
Scott

What exactly are Lakeland blends? I'm not familiar. Seems to be a lot of back and forth about them.

eklektos44":gltitlou said:
What exactly are Lakeland blends? I'm not familiar. Seems to be a lot of back and forth about them.
Nor I. Been smoking for half a century and somehow missed 'em. Just read this entire thread and my head is spinning, for more reasons than one.

Richard Burley":tyfpdyuh said:
eklektos44":tyfpdyuh said:
Nor I. Been smoking for half a century and somehow missed 'em. Just read this entire thread and my head is spinning, for more reasons than one.
Well, best I can tell is that it's some reference to G&H tobacco, though how "Lakeland" comes into it I couldn't say. Nor does it seem we are destined to find out. :?:

Keep yer knickers untwisted...destiny is a fickle thing.

OK...granted I'm no expert, but here's the skinny as I understand it...

A Lakeland blend is one that is manufactured in the Lakeland District of England. Use Google to define and get nice pictures.

It's really just that simple...however...over the years smokers on both sides of the pond have started using the term Lakeland to stand for the the many moderate to strongly scented blends produced by both Samuel Gawith and Gawith & Hogarth. So blends like Dark Flake Scented, Glengarry Flake, 1792 Flake, Grasmere... Ennerdale... Kendal... yadda, yadda, yadda... are known as Lakeland blends.

So most smokers out there have come to use the term Lakeland Blend to represent only those stinky and devine concoctions that we all either love or hate, or maybe a little of both. Then there are the things like the late great blend "Lakeland Brickle Fortissimo"... which is a USA blend that was sort of an homage to the above kind of stuff...touted as stinky and strong.

Where does that leave the twists, pigtails, ropes, etc. made by the two companies mentioned above? Well, they're made in the Lakeland District...so they're Lakeland blends too. Easy. But some are very scented and some aren't. Whatever.

Does that help? I think that's the straight story.

Blackhorse":4gnrbdba said:
Keep yer knickers untwisted...destiny is a fickle thing.

OK...granted I'm no expert, but here's the skinny as I understand it...

A Lakeland blend is one that is manufactured in the Lakeland District of England. Use Google to define and get nice pictures.

It's really just that simple...however...over the years smokers on both sides of the pond have started using the term Lakeland to stand for the the many moderate to strongly scented blends produced by both Samuel Gawith and Gawith & Hogarth. So blends like Dark Flake Scented, Glengarry Flake, 1792 Flake, Grasmere... Ennerdale... Kendal... yadda, yadda, yadda... are known as Lakeland blends.

So most smokers out there have come to use the term Lakeland Blend to represent only those stinky and devine concoctions that we all either love or hate, or maybe a little of both. Then there are the things like the late great blend "Lakeland Brickle Fortissimo"... which is a USA blend that was sort of an homage to the above kind of stuff...touted as stinky and strong.

Where does that leave the twists, pigtails, ropes, etc. made by the two companies mentioned above? Well, they're made in the Lakeland District...so they're Lakeland blends too. Easy. But some are very scented and some aren't. Whatever.

Does that help? I think that's the straight story.
Yes, and thank you. :)

This forum has broadened my tobacco horizons greatly. I find myself really enjoying the offerings of G&H, both scented and unscented. I enjoy the plug format, there is something ritualistic and soothing in prepping some fine plug tobacco. I also enjoy prepping flake tobacco as well. On both styles I have a small bowl that I spread out the finished product in, and wait for the moisture level I prefer to manifest. My most recent purchases were a pound of #7 broken flake, and 8oz of Grasmere flake. Both lovely Lakeland tobaccos!

There is a kind of folk tale wherein some employee of Gawith credits #7 Broken Flake as being the finest singular item made there. Me? I agree. It's just right on nearly every scale to my way of thinking.

Fatman":nkgcud73 said:
This forum has broadened my tobacco horizons greatly. I find myself really enjoying the offerings of G&H, both scented and unscented. I enjoy the plug format, there is something ritualistic and soothing in prepping some fine plug tobacco. I also enjoy prepping flake tobacco as well. On both styles I have a small bowl that I spread out the finished product in, and wait for the moisture level I prefer to manifest. My most recent purchases were a pound of #7 broken flake, and 8oz of Grasmere flake. Both lovely Lakeland tobaccos!
Like wise. I credit Blackhorse for hipping me to Broken Flake #7, and DrT999 for sending me my first taste of Grasmere, which at the time was impossible to find. Both of those are excellent.

A list of my favorites - Dark Flake Scented, Broken Flake #7, Grasmere, Glengarry & Brown No. 2. In the aromatic or more heavily scented realm, occasionally I'll smoke some Kendal Flake which I prefer over Ennerdale, which for some reason I can't stomach..

DrumsAndBeer":ic4fmi3g said:
Fatman":ic4fmi3g said:
Like wise. I credit Blackhorse for hipping me to Broken Flake #7, and DrT999 for sending me my first taste of Grasmere, which at the time was impossible to find. Both of those are excellent.

A list of my favorites - Dark Flake Scented, Broken Flake #7, Grasmere, Glengarry & Brown No. 2. In the aromatic or more heavily scented realm, occasionally I'll smoke some Kendal Flake which I prefer over Ennerdale, which for some reason I can't stomach..
I think the main difference between Ennerdale and the most of other medium scented GH 'floral/botanical' offerrings is the use of almond.  I happen to like it, but I can see where others wouldn't.  The other GH scented blends have florals (Grasmere for example) and/or spices.  Kendal Flake (one of the stronger) has 10, including 'Rose Geranium, Vanilla, Rum, Tonquin, Musk, Heliotropin, and Rose.'  I think the main botanical used in the SG offerrings (1792, Westmorland, etc) is Tonquin and  whatever they use in Grousemoor (the effect is called 'lemon grass').  Their RB Plug seems to have just about everything SG & GH use in it!

Smoking some Conniston plug in a Stanwell 227 as I write this. IMHO the finest of the Lakeland scented offerings (though I've yet to try #7 Broken flake, amazingly enough, as it's supposed to be the reverse of Conniston with the Virginias comprising the main role and the dark tobaccos in the supporting role). This stuff is dark, deep, rich, earthy spices (clove and spice kinda thang), potent. Small pipes sipped slowly, blissfully.

Their unscented Curly Cut regular is an outstanding Virginia that I enjoy often. I reccomend these two tobaccos to anyone interested in exploring G.H. And co.

G & H have, by far, my preference over SG offerings. I find SG too fricking a Bee-Atch to manage, dry and prepare, it just become too annoying for me.

So far, my favorites are: Bob's Chocolate Flake; Best Brown # 2; Ennerdale Flake (YEA!!! Great aroma and taste!); Sweet Rum Twist and Sweet Maple Twist.

Broken 7 has become an all day smoke for me thanks to you's guys reccomendation. Dr T have you tried any of the SG aromatic twists?

Bugsahearn":rl46e9sq said:
Broken 7 has become an all day smoke for me thanks to you's guys reccomendation. Dr T have you tried any of the SG aromatic twists?
No, not the SG ones

I too am a GH partisan. At any given time I am likely to have several of the following in my rotation :

Ennerdale
Kendal Kentucky
Bosun Cut Plug
Dark Bird's Eye
Brown Irish X
Sweet Rum Twist
Dark Flake Unscented
EDIT: Forgot to add Rum Flake

I truly could be happy smoking nothing but GH tobaccos for the rest of my life, if it were to come to that.

I love G&H but I don't think I could say G&H or SG is better than the other. You've got ennerdale and then you've got grousemoor, top black cherry and 1792. Bosun and 7 and commonwealth/squadron leader. They are l
Pretty even although GH offers a wider variety of quality tobacco on the us market

Puff daddy coniston plug sounds so amazing I assume your in Europe since it isn't available in the us?

Ha Blackhorse unfortunately that's actually the unscented version of coniston but in Europe they actually sell a scented uncut plug variety. Would love to get my hands on that but even synjeco doesn't have it

I also have a lot of fun mixing SG & GH blends together for a bowl like dark plug & grousemoor, ennerdale & Celtic talisman or kendal cream, louisiana perique w FVF etc etc good stuff