The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
California here.

Smokingpipes used to sell both the scented and unscented versions of Conniston Cut Plug. I have smoked both, prefer the unscented. I have had a few solid plug versions of Gawith Hoggarth tobaccos over the years, they weren't worth the extra trouble but they were cool to play with. I did have a chunk,of Kendal plug once that was so damned hard it was near impossible to use. Would end up shaving whittlings off the edges. I think I eventually gave it to Kyle :lol:

Pleased that you found it helpful.

In addition, a number of guys here have done quite a bit of ordering through MrS...with no problems of any kind. Delivery normally takes a few weeks as things have to go through customs.

Blackhorse":z3o5nkc1 said:
And as usual monblablabla is full of it.  lol

Please get over yourself, stop trolling re these blends and try to remember that Lakeland is a geographic designation, not a content description. Many of the blends produced in the Lakeland district are straight as an arrow...no scenting at all.
I know you qualified this part in a later post, but I wanted to pipe in and say that I actually prefer using lakeland as a style descriptor rather than a geographic one (as many use "English blend" to refer to latakia and oriental in a blend, not place of manufacture). I find it just a bit more descriptive.

I picked up a decent selection of GH&Co offerings on IPSD, and have enjoyed them all. I find it hard to pick favorites. I stocked up on some of them recently with a group buy, too. I do enjoy Brown Flake, both scented nad un-scented. It may be my favorite, though I didn't get to try them all.

I guess that would make you...'new school'. Maybe it's an example of the way language drifts over time...meanings and usages common to one generation come to mean something a bit different to the next, etc.

Or...(chuckle)...maybe it's like Carl Sagan stated in his Magnum Opus, "Cosmos"... to paraphrase...

"Just because a man, one of the greatest scientists of his time, is an accepted genius...it doesn't mean he isn't dead wrong."

I'm on record as holding that "Lakeland" should be used as a geographical rather than a stylistic descriptor. I also never refer to California sparkling wines as "champagne." In short, I am an unreconstructed pedant. :)

Blackhorse":hkahy6q0 said:
I guess that would make you...'new school'. Maybe it's an example of the way language drifts over time...meanings and usages common to one generation come to mean something a bit different to the next, etc.

Or...(chuckle)...maybe it's like Carl Sagan stated in his Magnum Opus, "Cosmos"... to paraphrase...

"Just because a man, one of the greatest scientists of his time, is an accepted genius...it doesn't mean he isn't dead wrong."
Well, I don't think I'm old enough to be old-school since I'm not 30 yet. I definitely get your point, though. My question for you guys that use it geographically, do you use 'English' the same way in describing blends?

Oh, to each his own.  Me...I don't use English to equal Latakia. My info says that "English" refers to a specific standard in handling or preparing the blend tobaccos required by UK law...or something like that. It has nothing to do with what the component tobaccos are...just the purity or cleanliness of processing...or some such very specific jumble of terms.

Balkan, however, has more to do with content...blends that contain tobaccos that would have been grown in that geographic region. But I have little to go on there but some vague memory or reading about it once.

And you would likely get different stories from different sources...so, whatever.

But in common usage in today's world of makers, blenders and buyers I imagine the term English denotes the mental aroma of sour old fires long gone out...er, I mean, fine Latakia.

Thomas Tkach":o4jae2ps said:
My question for you guys that use it geographically, do you use 'English' the same way in describing blends?
Not without scare quotes, no.

Bugsahearn":3i1jdcun said:
So no one here has tried the G&H licorice or aniseed twist?
This is the first I have ever heard of it. I'd definitely give it a try if I ever came across it though. Sounds right up might alley.

Dave_In_Philly":9nlfps37 said:
Bugsahearn":9nlfps37 said:
So no one here has tried the G&H licorice or aniseed twist?
This is the first I have ever heard of it. I'd definitely give it a try if I ever came across it though. Sounds right up might alley.
Mr Snuff has them, listed under their twist chewing tobacco. They come in small amounts (10 g for $5.85 and sometimes 18 g for $9.95)

RE: GH Brown Irish Sweet Chocolate Rose

A friend in the UK took pity on my and acted as the middleman so I could get some from 'My Smoking Shop'. It comes in little pouches of at most .4 of an ounce or a bit less.

I was a bit disappointed with the first sample. It was certainly Brown X; based on (distant) memories of Brown X and more recent of Brown Bogie, it was smoother than I expected but it wasn't sweet and the chocolate was so faint I might have imagined it and the rose even less so. I could almost imagine it was plain Brown X. We'll see if the other samples are the same.

Bugsahearn":zniq188w said:
Hey how do you guys tell if your tobacco is moldy? This white stuff on my grasmere seems like mold to be and I'm not sure I would want mold spores in y lungs? What do you think?

https://i.servimg.com/u/f18/19/23/71/58/image10.jpg

It's more glazed over and white than it looks in picture  ps
I noticed something similar on some of my GH&Co. I was told it was not mold. Glazed doesn't sound like mold to me.

Thomas Tkach":0vn3pvcs said:
Bugsahearn":0vn3pvcs said:
Hey how do you guys tell if your tobacco is moldy? This white stuff on my grasmere seems like mold to be and I'm not sure I would want mold spores in y lungs? What do you think?

https://i.servimg.com/u/f18/19/23/71/58/image10.jpg

It's more glazed over and white than it looks in picture  ps
I noticed something similar on some of my GH&Co. I was told it was not mold. Glazed doesn't sound like mold to me.
i guess glazed isnt the right word isnt kinda gray with the white stuff. i have a stash of most of the lakeland flakes and only find the white stuff very rarely. what is it if isnt mold? i know they say its plum but i'm not sure i believe that plume isnt mold...