user signatures

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
suggestion...

Can we place some kind of limit on signature content. Some users are out of hand. They have a few quotes, another couple images, and then a declaration or something to boot. It's like half a screen or more of nonsense every time they post. Or maybe not allowing images in signatures? I feel like it gets to the point of being inconsiderate and pollutive in a way. Any thoughts?

Have to agree with Zeno on this.

Also, maybe limit list of pipes and tobaccos in left hand side bar. Can make scrolling down a thread torturous!!!!

I'm in about 60% agreement as a matter of taste; the other 40% is for letting people do their own thing.

Or I know on some boards you can have the option to disable all signatures. I would be keen on that.

Zeno Marx":0e19347c said:
suggestion...

Can we place some kind of limit on signature content.  Some users are out of hand.  They have a few quotes, another couple images, and then a declaration or something to boot.  It's like half a screen or more of nonsense every time they post.  Or maybe not allowing images in signatures?  I feel like it gets to the point of being inconsiderate and pollutive in a way.  Any thoughts?
Total Anarchy is where it's at   :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: None of that liberal regulation stuff  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Actually, this is the first Forum where I've seen as much allowed meh  :twisted: :twisted: 

klause":3ee4jp0i said:
Also, maybe limit list of pipes and tobaccos in left hand side bar.  Can make scrolling down a thread torturous!!!!
It took me a while to notice my list was flying against my own beliefs on message board etiquette and space efficiency...and really, the only reason the list was there was because the ego and tendency for unnecessary statement. I never look at anyone else's list, so why am I creating this vertical clutter? No reason. Delete.

Zeno, I think you have summed it up perfectly.

But, I get the feeling we'll still be scrolling down through huge blank spaces on threads.  :face: 

It was worth the shot, though.

monbla256":d1mzekeb said:
Actually, this is the first Forum where I've seen as much allowed meh  :twisted: :twisted: 
Same here. There was another forum I looked into that was far more cluttered. I didn't participate.

For this one, I've adjusted my expectations, but I also keep my personal clutter to a minimum.

Zeno Marx":m7vsy3q8 said:
suggestion...

Can we place some kind of limit on signature content. Some users are out of hand. They have a few quotes, another couple images, and then a declaration or something to boot. It's like half a screen or more of nonsense every time they post. Or maybe not allowing images in signatures? I feel like it gets to the point of being inconsiderate and pollutive in a way. Any thoughts?
Agreed, I don't like all the clutter myself.

Zeno Marx":m7vsy3q8 said:
klause":m7vsy3q8 said:
Also, maybe limit list of pipes and tobaccos in left hand side bar.  Can make scrolling down a thread torturous!!!!
It took me a while to notice my list was flying against my own beliefs on message board etiquette and space efficiency...and really, the only reason the list was there was because the ego and tendency for unnecessary statement.  I never look at anyone else's list, so why am I creating this vertical clutter?  No reason.  Delete.
Had the same thought myself so I have stripped mine down to liking Va/Per's and that's it.

Personally I like the freedom and individual personalization (missing on so many forums today) that the BoB Mods and Admin team allow us.  I say we don't change a thing and be thankful for what they have given us.

Let's not forget all of the hard work the Admin/Mod team put into keeping BoB what it is.

First off I like seeing others lists, it tells me a little about them and if there taste in pipes and or tobacco are as mine. Hey, some are long, so what? Mines not so long. All equals out in the end. I enjoy letting people know what I like and dislike if you know what I mean.
And to suggest that we all eliminate our lists and or signatures just because some one else thinks there without ego and deleted there's I think is nonsense and communism at it's finest. I reckon we should all walk a straight line along the left wall and all wear grey too.

The signatures and lists are nowhere near as annoying as the large photos that get "quoted" over and over again. But this forum format is quite clean and readable compared to many. I like it, even with the minor annoyances.

Well, I tried using Firefox AdblockPlus, which I may have tried once before a while ago, and it messes with the board.

I don't feel asking for an option, or for a coding change, is another way of saying I don't appreciate the admins' work in setting up the board. The board is a living thing. It evolves and changes as the needs and use change. That's a healthy thing in my opinion.

And like I said, I do know some boards have a built-in option, as part of the basic software, in each user's preferences that enable/disable signatures. I don't think there is any extra coding involved, but I could be wrong about that.

You might PM an Admin (Carlos or Mark) and ask if an option could be enabled allowing individuals to set their preferences. I don't have access to that stuff. I'd rather avoid creating a universal policy that governs the use of signatures. That's just me, though....

Richard Burley":gobmrxz7 said:
this forum format is quite clean and readable compared to many.
Agreed.

As far a looks go, this forum is aesthetically pleasing. I can think of some other forums that are way more cluttered.

Richard Burley":fox99ayg said:
The signatures and lists are nowhere near as annoying as the large photos that get "quoted" over and over again.
This is my biggest forum pet peeve, as well (true of all forum/bb sites I've ever used).

For my part, though, if that's the worst of it then I feel like I've got it pretty good here.

I doubt anyone here does not appreciate the work put in by all involved in running this forum. I imagine we are all very appreciative.

Nor, I think is anyone questioning the aesthetics of the forum - it is indeed easy on the eye, and beautifully put together.

Signatures and the waffle in the left side bar can make it a little cluttered, for some, that's all - nothing more, nothing less. It's just an observation.

No coercion, no demands, just asking questions, testing the waters, listening to answers, considering all sides. Then moving on, cos there's nothing to see here.

I might avail of the option to PM admin - job done, eh?

MisterE":76vd70ga said:
You might PM an Admin (Carlos or Mark) and ask if an option could be enabled allowing individuals to set their preferences. I don't have access to that stuff. I'd rather avoid creating a universal policy that governs the use of signatures. That's just me, though....
I PMed Carlos.

*as I was double-checking the preferences, I was reminded of the friends/foe option. I guess I can always go the foe route. It's not something I'd like to do, but I don't feel it is all that unusual for any of us to avoid those we feel are being inconsiderate.

There's a lot of "forum ettiquette" which many have strong feelings over. All caps as SHOUTING for example. People can get really bent out of shape about that stuff, lol. I just try to shake it off...you know, hear the message, not the messenger.

Zeno, you could do the block user option as a quick fix, I don't think who you've blocked is visible.