user signatures

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There does not seem to be much support for any changes. Not that there is any easy way to make changes. Signatures can be turned off, but not limited, with the exception of photo sizes. But I have not seen any that come close to a problem size. Just a bunch of small ones.

It looks like the preferences lists under the avatars are most to blame for increasing post sizes and wasted scrolling space. Without a change to the theme, I don't see where anything can be done. Not that there seems to be much support for that either.

Maybe as time goes on and we get put on newer forum software, more options may open to users.

MisterE":o0a81292 said:
All caps as SHOUTING for example.
MISTER E - THERE'S NOTHING I HATE MORE THAN PEOPLE ABUSING THE 'CAPS' THING.   :lol: 

Another

Is

Very

Long

And

Drawn

Out

That

Simply

Ramble

On

About

Nothing

And

Could

Be

Shortened

Somewhat

While

Still

Keeping

The

Meaning.

:lol!:

Rob_In_MO":ax4hett3 said:
MisterE":ax4hett3 said:
MISTER E - THERE'S NOTHING I HATE MORE THAN PEOPLE ABUSING THE 'CAPS' THING.   :lol: 

Another

Is

Very

Long

And

Drawn

Out

That

Simply

Ramble

On

About

Nothing

And

Could

Be

Shortened

Somewhat

While

Still

Keeping

The

Meaning.

...and quoting them in their entirety.   :lol!:

Hermit":ge7wax64 said:
Rob_In_MO":ge7wax64 said:
MisterE":ge7wax64 said:

Another

Is

Very

Long

And

Drawn

Out

That

Simply

Ramble

On

About

Nothing

And

Could

Be

Shortened

Somewhat

While

Still

Keeping

The

Meaning.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Thanks, Brother!  :cheers: 

Hermit":b8fzuc8e said:
Rob_In_MO":b8fzuc8e said:
MisterE":b8fzuc8e said:

Another

Is

Very

Long

And

Drawn

Out

That

Simply

Ramble

On

About

Nothing

And

Could

Be

Shortened

Somewhat

While

Still

Keeping

The

Meaning.

THIS FOR SURE  :twisted: :twisted: 

Butt heads!  :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: 

Rob_In_MO":8doeuz31 said:
MisterE":8doeuz31 said:

Another

Is

Very

Long

And

Drawn

Out

That

Simply

Ramble

On

About

Nothing

And

Could

Be

Shortened

Somewhat

While

Still

Keeping

The

Meaning.

Where's my ban hammer....I remember seeing it around here someplace....

MisterE":k3v2l1c9 said:

I'm surprised I didn't get the 'ban hammer' a few years ago.  Kyle, Kaiser, and I were on quite a roll there for a while...   :lol:

Besides - you guys know that with a thread like this, people like me are going to jump in and have fun with it. The temptation is just too great.  8) 

Haven't seen those guys around for a while, yo!

Maybe the roar of our latest chicanery will call them back....  :twisted: 

Rob_In_MO":9x17zhn9 said:
MisterE":9x17zhn9 said:

I'm surprised I didn't get the 'ban hammer' a few years ago.  Kyle, Kaiser, and I were on quite a roll there for a while...   :lol:

Besides - you guys know that with a thread like this, people like me are going to jump on the bandwagon and have fun with it.
Rob, I'm sure if you ask nicely it can be arranged  :mrgreen: 

MisterE":m6ubno7q said:

I stay in touch with them and chat with them on occasion, and they'll be back at some point- but each for different reasons.

Rob_In_MO":sxgaj130 said:
MisterE":sxgaj130 said:

I stay in touch with them and chat with them on occasion, and they'll be back at some point- but each for different reasons.
Yuk's poked his head in a couple of times recently !! :shock: :shock: 

I see Kaiser on Facebook all the time, so he seems to be doing OK. I do miss Kyle's shenanigans, though.

Here's another vote that the side-bar lists and many users' signatures are obnoxious. It'd be great if that info were moved only to a profile or could be turned off.

Zeno Marx":vjj8sp9f said:
suggestion...

Can we place some kind of limit on signature content.  Some users are out of hand.  They have a few quotes, another couple images, and then a declaration or something to boot.  It's like half a screen or more of nonsense every time they post.  Or maybe not allowing images in signatures?  I feel like it gets to the point of being inconsiderate and pollutive in a way.  Any thoughts?
It's a small matter. Besides I like to read what tobacco the brothers prefer and what pipes they own. The signatures can be thought provoking. JMO the forum isn't broken, no need to fix it.  :) 

AJ

The post above is a perfect case in point. A two-line reply ends up taking up a huge amount of space because of the really long list in the left side panel (no offense intended, AJ). When trying to read a thread quickly, it makes it difficult to find the two important lines between signatures and the masses of blank space.

On the other hand, I do like that you can see the information, but it would be much better in a horizontal format than a vertical list which greatly exacerbates the problem (especially with so many line breaks). Perhaps the ideal would be a way where you could hover your mouse over the word 'pipes' or 'tobaccos' in the left side panel or signature and the list would pop up. Then it would be visible and easily accessible when desired, but wouldn't get in the way when reading through a thread.

As others have stated, this may not be possible or easily implemented by the mods, but I think it is an ideal solution if it weren't too difficult. Again, no hard feelings felt or intended here.

Some people just don't understand the concept of "If it aint broke don't fix it."
I think some people need to get there priorities straight and quit trying to force
there nonessential ideas on the group. There are much more important things to worry about then the format of one's post and how it looks. It's like saying I don't like the looks of your face because your ears or eye's are spaced too far apart so you can't post a photo of yourself. If you haven't the time to read a post because it takes you too long, come back when you have the time. ;)