What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fifteen Decisive Battles of the World by Sir Edward S Creasy. The 1957 edition which is closer to the original 1850's version.

Jim

51wNikqr4BL._AC_US218_.jpg

Saw the old B&W movie of this way long ago, and unfortunately my library doesn't have it on DVD so decided to read the book instead. Have to admit I did enjoy it, even though I didn't realize it was primarily about a young girl growing up in Brooklyn. I only really remembered the happy-go-lucky drunk of a father she had!

Cheers,

RR

'My Twenty-five Years in Provence' by Peter Mayle. I had read 'A Year in Provence' and the sequels years ago. I lost all of them amongst the many books I lost in Hurricane Katrina. It's good revisiting the topic.

51apWCn4yiL._AC_US218_.jpg

Just completed this as a result of brother Stick's recommendation. Very clear and concise account of what immediately preceded the D-Day invasion. Highly recommended if you are a WWII aficionado.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":7vnfxbya said:
51apWCn4yiL._AC_US218_.jpg

Just completed this as a result of brother Stick's recommendation. Very clear and concise account of what immediately preceded the D-Day invasion. Highly recommended if you are a WWII aficionado.

Cheers,

RR
Good one Rande. You may be interested to know that I grew up in Exeter and used to fish on both the River Exe and the canal in exactly the spot where the Ox and Bucks under John Howard trained. Of course, at the time when I was pulling perch out of the canal I had no idea. As you'll recall from reading the book, this was the only place in the UK that replicated the lay of the land in Benouville, i.e., a river running parallel to a canal with a bridge over each.

Here's me with Arlette in 2005.  The chap sat to my left passed away a few years ago.  He was a member of the British special forces who settled in the area after the war and who played a part in the assault on the bridges.

This second picture shows the places where the numbers 1 and 2 gliders came to rest; 2 in the foreground, and 1 with John Howard on board in the middle distance.  You can see a bust of John Howard next to it.  The bridge is a replica of the original which now resides in the museum 100 yards away.  Remarkable how close the first glider got to the bridge flying at night on a compass bearing and stopwatch.

Glad you enjoyed the book, Rande. Need to think of another recommendation!!!

Stick":lulcxskb said:

Here's me with Arlette in 2005.  The chap sat to my left passed away a few years ago.  He was a member of the British special forces who settled in the area after the war and who played a part in the assault on the bridges.

This second picture shows the places where the numbers 1 and 2 gliders came to rest; 2 in the foreground, and 1 with John Howard on board in the middle distance.  You can see a bust of John Howard next to it.  The bridge is a replica of the original which now resides in the museum 100 yards away.  Remarkable how close the first glider got to the bridge flying at night on a compass bearing and stopwatch.

Glad you enjoyed the book, Rande.  Need to think of another recommendation!!!
Splendid pics mate, really first rate.  8)

Jolly good, that. And you're quite the dashing chappie aren't you! ;)

And I'd love a new rec if you have one in you. In the meantime here's what I've been absorbed in-

51mhfLt2oQL._AC_US218_.jpg

Fascinating reading. Details the apprehension of Adolph Eichmann, among other gripping stories. And one of them is the reference of the autobiography of Rudolph Höss, who was Camp Commandant of Auschwitz and who wrote up his detailed account of the killing machine he commanded while he was awaiting trial which he eventually hanged for.

Sadly this book is not available through my library, and I'm not inclined to get a hard copy in through Amazon, however inexpensive it may be. Frankly, this first-person account might well prove to be more than I bargained for or want know.

:no:

Moving on, I'm now onto this-

51jWbpkqd2L._AC_US218_.jpg

Just only started it. And no, I'm not a conspiracy theorist.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":ipe3ift6 said:
And I'd love a new rec if you have one in you.

Cheers,

RR
Hey Rande,

Oooooo, I've got loads up my sleeve!

For a change in pace, how about a modern mountaineering epic...

Touching the Void, by Joe Simpson.

… I doubt you'll be disappointed.  :)

Davy Jones":6mi9r5ov said:
Brewdude":6mi9r5ov said:
5172dBvaxAL._AC_US218_.jpg

Great follow up to Shackelto's gripping account of this legendary expedition. This book has much more in the way of the details the men suffered during their trials on the ice, including and especially the desperate journey made to make a whaling station and civilization.

Cheers,

RR
I actually bought this one. :D
Such a great read, I've read the book and listened to the audible version. An amazing story of survival, and just how strong the human will can be. Could only imagine.

just beginning--25 pages into---TIME and NAVIGATION: Johnston, Connor, Stephens and Ceruzzi

Finishing Dan Brown's Origin. Nice fast pace storyline as always. I usually end up looking at architectural buildings and artwork on Google every time I read one of his books

Sent from Topic'it App

D.L.Ruth":55v4w449 said:
Davy Jones":55v4w449 said:
Brewdude":55v4w449 said:
5172dBvaxAL._AC_US218_.jpg

Great follow up to Shackelto's gripping account of this legendary expedition. This book has much more in the way of the details the men suffered during their trials on the ice, including and especially the desperate journey made to make a whaling station and civilization.

Cheers,

RR
I actually bought this one. :D
Such a great read, I've read the book and listened to the audible version. An amazing story of survival, and just how strong the human will can be. Could only imagine.
Didn't have time to read it yet..I started Peter Ackroyd's series on the story of England and that will take me a while to go through.

Stick":n3cbh0bd said:
Brewdude":n3cbh0bd said:
And I'd love a new rec if you have one in you.

Cheers,

RR
Hey Rande,

Oooooo, I've got loads up my sleeve!

For a change in pace, how about a modern mountaineering epic...

Touching the Void, by Joe Simpson.

… I doubt you'll be disappointed.  :)
Can't think how I missed this, but just put in a request from my local library. Thanks mate, you haven't steered me wrong yet.

In the meantime, I'm firmly stuck into this and will take some little time to get through it. It's very comprehensive and one has to read slowly and carefully to take it all in!

41bF-0YMHSL._AC_US218_.jpg

Cheers,

RR

Really though, just bought this one through Amazon with a gift card. This book literally carried me through a year of college Physics. Asimov clearly explains all the underlying concepts involved in the various elements of motion, electricity, nuclear physics, etc. so that normal humans can understand what’s going on. Using this, in conjunction with lectures and the assigned text I got the highest score on the final in Nuclear Physics...because the Prof. gave an essay test, asking us to EXPLAIN what was going on. Brilliant. All the pre-med and math majors were literally crying during the test. It was a beautiful thing. At the time I was a Fine Arts major. To this day I consider that test to be one of my life’s significant achievements. I was, and am, a lifelong math phobic. Flunked Algebra. Flunked Geometry. But Asimov brought clarity to this visual learner.

Chemistry is still like Chinese to me though. Oh well.