What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
81sB0YiSCpL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Stephen King originally released this under a different name for various reasons. But it's clearly a King novel. Maybe not his best work but still interesting.

Cheers,

RR

Actually read it a few months ago, but it's aptly appropriate to our current situation.

Arthur Herman's Freedoms Forge, about how US industry ramped up during WWII.

51-rNsrXA4L.SX150.jpg

My favorite anecdote is from a VP of a prominent New York bank who had volunteered for an open position in the government only to hear nothing for several months. Then his boss, who did not know the VP had actually apied for the role, was speaking with another member of the government who was complaining that he couldn't fill this very same position. The boss recommend the VP, and he got the job. After having been in the position for nearly a year he received a letter thanking him for his interest but telling him that he did not get the position. All this was funny enough, but the fact that the letter was actually signed by himself speaks volumes about American bureaucracy.

In keeping with my interest for WWII POW escapes, I found this little beauty and it only cost 3 and 6!  Even the front cover art is inspiring!

'The sensational story of the RAF navigator whose third escape ended triumphantly in a charge with the Russian Cossacks through German lines'.

Not surprisingly, Cyril Rofe remains the only member of the RAF who took part in a cavalry charge with the Cossacks in WWII. One heck of a story.

started re-reading (for the 3rd time) the Patrick O'Brian series, "Master and Commander".

i had just finished book #26 in the Alexander Kent, "Bolitho" series, and the only place i could find to get the actual "books" is straight from England, and it would take weeeeeeks. and i just found them on Kindle on Amazon today, so now i will just own 26 books and 2 electronic.

need to find another series.

9115hZaux7L._AC_UY218_.jpg

New author to me. Great book. Gritty, in-yer-face, suspenseful. Kind of the same narrative style as Stephen King. I'll be reading more of John Sandford's novels.

Cheers,

RR

91VzFwES6cL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Another new author and another very captivating and enjoyable read!

Fictional novel about genetic engineering for sinister purposes. Many processes written in the book are actually being used today!

Even though my library is closed down right now due to the lockdown, there's a little local neighborhood lending library a few blocks from me. Basically it's a small kiosk where one takes a book/leaves a book. And I've enjoyed several novels from it thus far. And yes I did initially leave a book and will continue to do so!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":n1ogc4ov said:
91VzFwES6cL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Another new author and another very captivating and enjoyable read!

Fictional novel about genetic engineering for sinister purposes. Many processes written in the book are actually being used today!

Even though my library is closed down right now due to the lockdown, there's a little local neighborhood lending library a few blocks from me. Basically it's a small kiosk where one takes a book/leaves a book. And I've enjoyed several novels from it thus far. And yes I did initially leave a book and will continue to do so!

Cheers,

RR
Brewdude, in your mention of Sanford and Rollins, you named 2 prolific authors I've enjoyed immensely. Read all of their books. They've all been pretty good reads. Too bad about libraries closing due to covid 19. Happened here too and miss it, though have gotten most of my reading material-paperbacks-via purchase and sharing with another inveterate reader friend.

81YTBZ3RrtL._AC_UY218_.jpg

And a third new author that will be one I'll chase after the library re-opens. This is another pleasant discovery from the little neighborhood book exchange kiosk I took a chance on.

Great fictional story about WWII and one SS soldier's plot to assassinate Hitler and how it led him in a completely different direction.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":vg2e2k1k said:
51MEmDf2V0L._AC_UY218_.jpg

Another author I was just introduced to through the little neighborhood book exchange. 12 short stories, masterfully told.

Cheers,

RR

Did you know that most of the plot ideas for these stories came to Archer while he was incarcerated in five different prisons over a two year period?

Is Archer Indian?

Blackhorse":rofvc36t said:
Brewdude":rofvc36t said:
51MEmDf2V0L._AC_UY218_.jpg

Another author I was just introduced to through the little neighborhood book exchange. 12 short stories, masterfully told.

Cheers,

RR

Did you know that most of the plot ideas for these stories came to Archer while he was incarcerated in five different prisons over a two year period?

Is Archer Indian?
Yes, that was made clear in the introduction. Don't think he's of Indian origin though as his pic on the back overleaf doesn't bear that out.

Cheers,

RR

81Zxt6924aL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Very likely the best of the new authors I've been introduced to, courtesy of the little neighborhood book exchange kiosk. Have to say Christopher Reich's style is much like Stephen King's, which I've long admired.

I'll certainly be chasing more of Reich's novels as our library just opened up for curbside pickup. I've about 20 titles with various authors on reserve as I've exhausted virtually all of the King novels on offer.

Cheers,

RR