What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
reread two Rex Stout mysteries (And be a Villain & The Second Confession, and will start rereading his Murder by the Book.  It's been several years since I reread the first two (two of my favorite Nero Wolfe novels) and I probably haven't read the third in 30 years or so.

Nancy Mitford
The Sun King: Louis XIV and Versailles

Brian K. Pennington
Was Hinduism Invented?: Britons, Indians, and the Colonial Construction of Religion
(Oxford, 2005)

fsu92john":c33c3a0q said:
Brian K. Pennington
Was Hinduism Invented?: Britons, Indians, and the Colonial Construction of Religion
(Oxford, 2005)
While I can see how the answer would be yes (there were lots of different groups with related practices -- and some not so related practices -- combined by European scholars under the rubric 'hinduism') I'm curious if you think the author makes the case strong enough to believe the term itself should be discounted (or at least changed to something like 'Hinduisms').

Fr_Tom":q101x6v3 said:
With Burning Hearts by Henri Nouwen
Nouwen challenges me.

I'm reading The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson

DrT999":sjblt9ij said:
fsu92john":sjblt9ij said:
Brian K. Pennington
(Oxford, 2005)
While I can see how the answer would be yes (there were lots of different groups with related practices -- and some not so related practices -- combined by European scholars under the rubric 'hinduism') I'm curious if you think the author makes the case strong enough to believe the term itself should be discounted (or at least changed to something like 'Hinduisms').
Actually, Pennington argues the opposite, that in spite of the diversity of beliefs and practices embraced by the term, it is meaningful to speak of "Hinduism" provided one avoids essentialism in doing so. The book appears (I'm not finished with it yet) to be attempting to correct against a strong "Hinduism is a Western construct" tendency in post-colonial studies.

fsu92john":ookr6wtm said:
DrT999":ookr6wtm said:
fsu92john":ookr6wtm said:
Brian K. Pennington
(Oxford, 2005)
Actually, Pennington argues the opposite, that in spite of the diversity of beliefs and practices embraced by the term, it is meaningful to speak of "Hinduism" provided one avoids essentialism in doing so. The book appears (I'm not finished with it yet) to be attempting to correct against a strong "Hinduism is a Western construct" tendency in post-colonial studies.
The few Hindus I've spoken to on this over the years would agree with him then

This is a great and inspirational read about the University of Washington rowing team that went to the Olympics in Berlin during the rise of Hitler. A good bit of history as we follow the individuals on the team as they develope and come together for greatness. This is the best book I have read in a very long time. You will like it.

Just picked up a copy of Bill Bryson's new release - One Summer America 1927. Bryson is probably my favorite author, and I like his style. Very interesting so far.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":n3aamewf said:
Just picked up a copy of Bill Bryson's new release - One Summer America 1927. Bryson is probably my favorite author, and I like his style. Very interesting so far.

Cheers,

RR
An interesting read; some fun trivia & stories

Just started reading "Hirohito and the Making of Modern Japan" by Herbert Bix.

An introduction to Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem
&
Expositions on the Gospels by JC Ryle.

Status
Not open for further replies.