What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seminary preparation:

How to Read a Book by Mortimer Adler

gravel":yg79zwih said:
Seminary preparation:

How to Read a Book by Mortimer Adler
Like this? 8)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pQHX-SjgQvQ" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

"Moby Dick" by Herman Melville. Haven't read it since I was a kid.

The Beekeepers Apprentice by Laurie R. King, I'm reading them out of order apparently. Read "The Language of Bees" first.

A New History of Life by Peter Ward & Joe Kirschvink -- probably not a lot new for those who follow science news at all, but probably the first time these new theories have all been in one place.

Finished the first two books in the series, now reading "A Letter of Mary" by Laurie R. King.

Going through "Blood Highways" by Adam Penenberg

I don't think I'll buy a Ford or Firestone product ever again. Of course that's not to say this particular form of calculated negligence has not been replicated by many other corporations.

In the non-fiction category, I've been reading a lot of Medieval English history work, lately. In the last few weeks I've been going through some of my old favorites covering the mid 1300s through the early 1400s.

If there are any history-folk among us (Dr T is, if I remember), I just finished up works on Edward III (M. Ormrod) and on Richard II (G. Dodd).

Cracking open an old favorite tonight: John of Gaunt: the Exercise of Princely Power in Fourteenth-Century Europe by Armitage-Smith. EXTREMELY dry stuff if you don't have an interest in it to begin with, but Gaunt is, hands down, the historical figure I find most interesting.

"Our Father Who Art in Hell" by James Reston Jr. The story of Jim Jones and Jonestown.

The Noonday Devil

Acedia, the Unnamed Evil of Our Times

As the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo is next month, there are a number (at least 4) new books on the battle for sale over at the local B&N. I chose the shortest, Alan Forrest's Waterloo, part of Oxford's 'Great Battles' series -- interesting, but more on how the battle has been seen since than the actual battle. There is another new one which goes over the campaign hour by hour, but I don't think I'll get that much into the battle.

Recently finished With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by E.B. Sledge and Rome's Last Citizen: The Life and Legacy of Cato, Mortal Enemy of Caesar by Rob Goodman. Now reading Bleak House by Charles Dickens.

"Following Atticus" by Tom Ryan. If you are a dog lover, this is a great read.

Just finished re-reading (for the 4th or 5th time) Bill Bryson's "In A Sunburned Country".

I never tire of his work, and have just learned that he will be releasing another travel book this autumn, the first in about 15 years. In this he seems to shine, and I'll be picking up a first release edition.

Have all his other travel books, and this along with the Appalachian Trail book (A Walk In The Woods) are among my faves. And it looks like a movie will be produced from this work, directed by Robert Redford. (Don't claim to know anything about that statement, just read it on Bryson'e site).

In any case I'll be watching the movie, and hope it does justice to the narrative!

Cheers,

RR

After Natchez Burning, I am working on The Bone Tree from Greg Iles.

I just finished an anthology of short fiction titled "Aickman's Heirs" edited by weird fiction author Simon Strantzas. It's a book of new fiction inspired by Robert Aickman, who wrote supernatural strange tales that remains some of the best examples of quiet horror and exercises in subtlety.

I also finished Michael Cisco's "Unlanguage." This novel has not been published yet but after last year's Readercon Michael was kind enough to send me the manuscript. It's not for everyone, as the book is rambling from an insane mind, but Cisco's a poet and a master of language so it was a really enjoyable book.

I'm currently reading Adam S. Cantwell's collection "Bastards of the Absolute" published in a beautiful hardcover from Egaeus Press, as well as some soon to be published books for review on my blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.