What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stephen King's novella The Mist.

Then, probably later on today, I will start The Dark Half from the same author.

I just started the first book in Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series, "The Prodigal Son". There are 5 books in his series on a modern version of Frankenstein and I have them all ready to go. Also, I just finished "Cell" by Stephen King, and I sure wish it had a different ending!

"Into the Twilight, Endlessly Grousing" by Pat McManus. I have a number of his short story compilations and re-read them occasionally. Reminds me of my childhood as well as of the stories my Grandpa used to tell.

McManus writes great outdoor humor, highly recommended for anyone who appreciates the outdoors or anyone who grew up before there was internet. I imagine a lot of folks here have read his stuff. He used to write the "Last Laugh" section for Outdoor Life magazine. And he was a pipe smoker!

Buckshot":t7xb0bij said:
I just started the first book in Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series, "The Prodigal Son".  There are 5 books in his series on a modern version of Frankenstein and I have them all ready to go.  Also, I just finished "Cell" by Stephen King, and I sure wish it had a different ending!
Started book 2 this morning..."City of Night".

Been reading Ian Flemings Bond novels. I'd seen the movies of course, but never actually read the books. Bond comes off as rather careless in the books. Don't think he'd have lasted long in reality. Then again they're only stories, so I guess I'll suspend disbelief. :)

Fleming is good - definitely someone I'm glad to have read (I'm a spy novel kinda guy, though, so it was inevitable, anyway). I prefer the "gritty" spy novels more than the "glamorous" ones. though (Dave in Philly and I might have had the same discussion in this same thread some time ago.). For the "Classic" spy novels I usually read John Le Carre and for something more modern I like Daniel Silva.

For me, I'm gonna give this ONE MORE TRY. In addition to spy novels, I loooooooooove long and in-depth fantasy/sci-fi series. Having failed to make it through twice (for reasons unrelated to the quality of the books), I'm making another run at the entire Dune series (including the original series written by Herbert, and all of the prequels/sequels/interequels written by his son).

idbowman":swr6bvw8 said:
Fleming is good - definitely someone I'm glad to have read (I'm a spy novel kinda guy, though, so it was inevitable, anyway).  I prefer the "gritty" spy novels more than the "glamorous" ones. though (Dave in Philly and I might have had the same discussion in this same thread some time ago.).  For the "Classic" spy novels I usually read John Le Carre and for something more modern I like Daniel Silva.

For me, I'm gonna give this ONE MORE TRY.  In addition to spy novels, I loooooooooove long and in-depth fantasy/sci-fi series.  Having failed to make it through twice (for reasons unrelated to the quality of the books), I'm making another run at the entire Dune series (including the original series written by Herbert, and all of the prequels/sequels/interequels written by his son).  
I like Le Carre, particularly the Smiley novels. I enjoyed Dune, but I read it in the 70's. I liked Dan Simmons Hyperion novels also. I've been reading more mystery lately, though I used to read a ton of SF. The one author in SF I could never get into was Asimov. Blasphemy I know, but there it is. :bounce:

Just started reading "Guards! Guards!" by Terry Pratchett. First exposure to the Disk World books, as far as I can remember. So far its what I expected i.e. an easy to read and enjoyable mental Twinkie. :afro:

Re-reading Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. When I purchased the book some years ago, an interesting coincidence happened. I went to a used bookstore to purchase this book in particular based on a recommendation. When I walked up to the register with this book in hand, the ticker on the register had the author of the last item rang up as Vonnegut, K. He had passed recently, within a week or two I believe, possibly prompting the previous purchase? So it goes.

I just finished the five book series "Frankenstein" by Dean Koontz. A little far out but still pretty good reading. I am now starting "The Martian" by Andy Weir.

Currently enjoying Stephen King's The Dark Half.

With a pipe, of course. :lol: :lol:

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, haven't read it since high school English class but been meaning to read it again ever since. Took me long enough. Accompanied by some Tudor Castle;)

Just starting Blue Labyrinth from Preston & Child. Special FBI agent Aloysius Pendergast is my favorite novel character of the moment. Too bad he does not smoke a pipe. Darn, he should, it would be in line with his personality. :cheers:

I just finished "GBH" by Ted Dixon, which is revered and just re-released. (British crime) I thought it was average and not worth the hoopla.

Currently - "Go Set a Watchman" , which early in, is very good.

Next up: The Cartel by Don Winslow (love his crime books)

The Moral Case for Fossil Fuels, by Alex Epstein. Makes the case in a very logical, organized manner for fossil fuels by weighing costs versus benefits, the latter of which the typical Americano takes for granted and is mindlessly ignorant of what his life would be like in their absence.

From Heaven He Came and Sought Her: Definite Atonement in Historical, Biblical, Theological, and Pastoral Perspective by David Gibson

eklektos44":tjpbfma8 said:
From Heaven He Came and Sought Her: Definite Atonement in Historical, Biblical, Theological, and Pastoral Perspective by David Gibson
That looks interesting. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.