What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished up the first three novels in the John Carter of Mars series by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Jesus and the Eyewitnesses: The Gospels as Eyewitness Testimony by Richard Bauckham

Stonewall: A Biography of General Thomas J. Jackson by Byron Farwell

The Dhimmi: Jews and Christians Under Islam by Bat Ye'or

I finished "The 6th Extinction" by James Rollins. Seems like he's running out of inspiration, somehow.

I am starting a litterature classics frenzy with "Treasure Island" by R.L. Stevenson. Then, it will be "Moby Dick", "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer", "Oliver Twist", "Robinson Crusoe", and...."Frankenstein". :lol:

Guyrox":ubv2ggnt said:
I am starting a litterature classics frenzy with "Treasure Island" by R.L. Stevenson. Then, it will be "Moby Dick", "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer", "Oliver Twist", "Robinson Crusoe", and...."Frankenstein". :lol:
Frankenstein pairs well thematically with Moby-Dick.

deathmetal":7qn3a05z said:
Guyrox":7qn3a05z said:
Frankenstein pairs well thematically with Moby-Dick.
How so, bro? I'm less familiar with Moby Dick.

Guyrox":ev9bgld1 said:
Moby-Dick is the quest of man for an impossible power, both immortality and control over his external world.

Frankenstein is what happens when man exerts some of that control and experiences "unintended consequences."

Both are favorites here. In addition to writing a great thematic novel, Melville writes extremely well in the conversational style, not the dreck/drivel we find today.

I'd almost suggest complementing the books above with Thus Spoke Zarathustra or Brave New World for a total deconstruction of humanity and its pretense...

deathmetal":6wcrgnll said:
Guyrox":6wcrgnll said:
Moby-Dick is the quest of man for an impossible power, both immortality and control over his external world.

Frankenstein is what happens when man exerts some of that control and experiences "unintended consequences."

Both are favorites here. In addition to writing a great thematic novel, Melville writes extremely well in the conversational style, not the dreck/drivel we find today.

I'd almost suggest complementing the books above with Thus Spoke Zarathustra or Brave New World for a total deconstruction of humanity and its pretense...
Interesting! I will keep that in mind when I read both. Thanks for your insight. :D

Scouting for Boys by Baden Powell. It provides a fascinating insight into the Empire's mindset of the day.

"The Three-Body Problem," by Cixin Liu, winner go the Hugo Award this year.

The Conscience of the Constitution: The Declaration of Independence and the Right to Liberty, by Timothy Sandefur. (Cato.)

"Full Dark, No Stars" by Stephen King. :affraid:

Status
Not open for further replies.