What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Man With The Iron Heart by Harry Turtledove :cyclops:

The First Mountaion Man: Preacher by William W. Johnstone :cyclops:

currently slowly enjoying every word in (Sir) Terry Pratchett's final book after his passing. The Shepard's crown. I have loved every book hes written, and its a sad moment when I finish this one to know ill never get the chance to see the world through his eyes again.

The First Mountain Man: Preacher's Massacre by William W. Johnstone :cyclops:

Twenty Years After by Alexandre Dumas :cyclops:

resting a little Magritte, The Getaway, Jim Thompson, 1958

url

Brewdude":c6l0ntxo said:
Stick":c6l0ntxo said:
Continuing with the World War II theme...

Operation Mincemeat by Ben MacIntyre.

One April morning in 1943, a sardine fisherman spotted the corpse of a British soldier floating in the sea off the coast of Spain and set in train a series of events that would change the course of the Second World War.  Operation Mincemeat was the most successful wartime deception ever attempted...

This true story involves a fantastically interesting cast including a rather splendid military intelligence chap called Cholmondley (pronounced Chumley) complete with the classic waxed 'tache; another military intelligence type and none other than Ian Flemming, author of James Bond; a stunningly beautiful girl; and a dead Welsh Tramp.  You really couldn't make it up.  In essence, Op Mincemeat successfully diverted a huge proportion of German troops, enough to make the landings at Sicily a huge success.

I'm only part way through, but this is turning into a real "boys' own" epic.
I shall have to add this to the ever growing list. Ta very much for the rec mate!

Cheers,

RR
Finished this one over the weekend, and have to say it was very intriguing. What a very well planned deception that seemed to go off very well indeed. Thanks for the referral David.

Cheers,

RR

"Every Dead Thing, by John Connolly.

More ambitious and interesting than I expected.

Btw, this is the first book in the "Charlie Parker," series.

The Zero, by Jess Walter (far and away, the best novel on 9/11. Yes, it is better than Delillo's The Falling Man. Is that not enough right there? ;)

We Live in Water, a collection of short stories, also by Walter

All Things, All At Once, by Lee K. Abbott, professor, friend, and one of the most lauded short story writers of the last 20 years.

Current: A great end of summer read.

9781594203473.jpg

Just finished:
A City of Mirrors, the 3rd in a triology by Justin Cronin.

"Uncle Tom's Cabin", Harriet Beecher Stowe. Supposedly the book that "helped lay the groundwork for the Civil War".

Never read this until just now. It wasn't on any kind of required reading list while I was in school.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":3os9jltf said:
"Uncle Tom's Cabin", Harriet Beecher Stowe. Supposedly the book that "helped lay the groundwork for the Civil War".

Never read this until just now. It wasn't on any kind of required reading list while I was in school.
I don't teach the first half of the US survey very often, but over the years I've used UTC a few times (maybe 3?) -- most students have heard of it, but none have ever read it, and it surprises all those who read it seriously. I hope you get a lot out of it

Rereading the whole work of H. P. Lovecraft, today, "The Shadow over Innsmouth"

9786050456905_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.