What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DrT999":j3cq9l4c said:
Brewdude":j3cq9l4c said:
"Uncle Tom's Cabin", Harriet Beecher Stowe. Supposedly the book that "helped lay the groundwork for the Civil War".

Never read this until just now. It wasn't on any kind of required reading list while I was in school.
I don't teach the first half of the US survey very often, but over the years I've used UTC a few times (maybe 3?) -- most students have heard of it, but none have ever read it, and it surprises all those who read it seriously.  I hope you get a lot out of it

Just finished it up yesterday in fact. Quite enjoyed it, and now I get the Simon Legree reference that some folks make occasionally when referring to someone like him! Very sad and poignant story line, but a little preachy at times.

Just started Mary Shelly's Frankenstein. Always was a big classic Horror Movie fan and saw all the Frankenstein flicks, but never read the book until just now.

Cheers,

RR

Love Shadow Over Innsmouth! At the Mountains of Madness is another one of my favs from HPL.

I've been binge reading Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon series, on the last book, "The Black Widow". If you are a Mitch Rapp series fan, I highly recommend it.

Just finished Mary Shelly's Frankenstein. Gotta say that the original story is a far cry from the dramatized version. Not at all what I expected, but still an interesting read.

Also, I re-visited one of the first books I read as a child - Stuart Little. I remember really enjoying this as a kid and wanted to see if I remembered any of it. There were one or two passages that did seem familiar after all these years.

Now onto another classic horror book I'd never read - Bram Stoker's Dracula. Again, I was a big classic horror movie fan and remember watching all the Bela Lugosi portrayals. And once again the original storyline is quite different, but quite interesting so far.

Cheers,

RR

Just finished reading Becoming Steve Jobs, "the evolution of a reckless upstart into a visionary leader," by Brent Schlender and Rick Tetzeli. Apparently Jobs was a big man in the computer industry or something, then he kicked and the story was pretty much over.  ;)

Brewdude":kni4xcbv said:
Just finished Mary Shelly's Frankenstein. Gotta say that the original story is a far cry from the dramatized version. Not at all what I expected, but still an interesting read.

Also, I re-visited one of the first books I read as a child - Stuart Little. I remember really enjoying this as a kid and wanted to see if I remembered any of it. There were one or two passages that did seem familiar after all these years.

Now onto another classic horror book I'd never read - Bram Stoker's Dracula. Again, I was a big classic horror movie fan and remember watching all the Bela Lugosi portrayals. And once again the original storyline is quite different, but quite interesting so far.

Cheers,

RR
:affraid: Into the dark stuff :affraid:

Brewdude":gzbtkr3p said:
Brewdude":gzbtkr3p said:
Stick":gzbtkr3p said:
Continuing with the World War II theme...

Operation Mincemeat by Ben MacIntyre.

One April morning in 1943, a sardine fisherman spotted the corpse of a British soldier floating in the sea off the coast of Spain and set in train a series of events that would change the course of the Second World War.  Operation Mincemeat was the most successful wartime deception ever attempted...

This true story involves a fantastically interesting cast including a rather splendid military intelligence chap called Cholmondley (pronounced Chumley) complete with the classic waxed 'tache; another military intelligence type and none other than Ian Flemming, author of James Bond; a stunningly beautiful girl; and a dead Welsh Tramp.  You really couldn't make it up.  In essence, Op Mincemeat successfully diverted a huge proportion of German troops, enough to make the landings at Sicily a huge success.

I'm only part way through, but this is turning into a real "boys' own" epic.
I shall have to add this to the ever growing list. Ta very much for the rec mate!

Cheers,

RR
Finished this one over the weekend, and have to say it was very intriguing. What a very well planned deception that seemed to go off very well indeed. Thanks for the referral David.

Cheers,

RR
Glad you liked it Rande. I'm almost there with it myself... darn house move prep is getting in the way of the finer things in life.

Stick":fpcjc5d9 said:
Brewdude":fpcjc5d9 said:

Cheers,

RR
:affraid:   Into the dark stuff  :affraid:
Aye mate. The original tome is very interesting and I'm about halfway into it just now. Very compelling!

Guess I like the dark side. Always was interested Gothic works . As well as the Victorian period. Looks like I'll follow this up with Jack the Ripper.

Cheers,

RR

Currently reading "Good Behavior" by best selling author Blake Crouch. It is due for release on November 15th, but I was provided an advanced copy for review. Puffing on some LL-7/PA Mixture in an IMP meerschaum along with some iced tea.

"Tokio Blues" by Haruki Murakami

200701282316290.tokio-blues.jpg

Read "The Complete Jack the Ripper" by Jack Rumbelow recently. Good enough up until a certain point, where he started going off in a different direction on related cases which didn't interest me as much. Still have a request for another Ripper book in at the local library.

Thought it would be interesting to read "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" based on a blurb from our local paper. Got it in from the library but struggled to get into it. Finally decided it wasn't for me after a few chapters. Not clear on how to describe why either. Just not my thing I guess!

Re-read "Dry Guillotine" and found a reference to another book that came as a result of this author's experience called "Condemned to Devil's Island" by Robert Niles, published in 1928. So have that one coming, as "Dry Guillotine" was a compelling read.

Cheers,

RR

I didn't love Hitchhiker's Guide either. It was ok but definitely wasn't worth the hype in my opinion.

Lovecraft, "At the Mountains of Madness"

lovecraft%20en%20las%20mon_zpstlf8m8s9.jpg

I'm back in the mood for some reading...Currently starting The Book of Enoch, translated by R.H. Charles.

Just started "Condemned to Devi's Island" and it's proving to be a compelling read. Even though technically a novel (rather than an eyewitness account), it's based on interviews the author had with real convicts in the French Guiana penal colony in the 20's.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":b1lvwidl said:
Just started "Condemned to Devi's Island" and it's proving to be a compelling read. Even though technically a novel (rather than an eyewitness account), it's based on interviews the author had with real convicts in the French Guiana penal colony in the 20's.

Cheers,

RR
You want to read Henri Charrière's autobiography titled Papillon, mate. He was sentenced on Devil's island in French Guyana. This prison makes Alcatraz look like the Med Club.

Lord Guyrox":64gglk1x said:
Brewdude":64gglk1x said:

Cheers,

RR

You want to read Henri Charrière's autobiography titled Papillon, mate. He was sentenced on Devil's island in French Guyana. This prison makes Alcatraz look like the Med Club.

Yes I'll be eager to read this next. Saw the movie years ago with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman. And while that was good in and of itself, it probably doesn't compare with the actual autobiography. Thanks for the reminder!

Cheers,

RR

Lord Guyrox":fpm47188 said:
Brewdude":fpm47188 said:

Cheers,

RR

Just about to complete this account. And while I find I riveting and compulsive, I also question some of the details as far as his memory is concerned with specific dates and times. Seems almost too exact, if you see what I mean.

Yes, Papillon may have a Savant memory as these are concerned. But I question if it's been enhanced by a ghost writer.

In any case it's a way great account. Thanks for the recommendation!

Cheers,

RR

@brewdude - I have "I Ripper" in my Kindle que, Stephen Hunters fictional take on Jack the Ripper.

I just started the 7th and final installment of the Clifton Chronicles, "This Was A Man" (Jeffrey Archer).

Brewdude":4q0pb2ws said:
Lord Guyrox":4q0pb2ws said:
Brewdude":4q0pb2ws said:

Cheers,

RR

Just about to complete this account. And while I find I riveting and compulsive, I also question some of the details as far as his memory is concerned with specific dates and times. Seems almost too exact, if you see what I mean.

Yes, Papillon may have a Savant memory as these are concerned. But I question if it's been enhanced by a ghost writer.

In any case it's a way great account. Thanks for the recommendation!

Cheers,

RR
I think I've read this book.

Does he effect an escape with two other prisoners in a boat and someone end up being shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.