What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stick":vqg40ml1 said:
Brewdude":vqg40ml1 said:
Lord Guyrox":vqg40ml1 said:
Brewdude":vqg40ml1 said:
Just started "Condemned to Devi's Island" and it's proving to be a compelling read. Even though technically a novel (rather than an eyewitness account), it's based on interviews the author had with real convicts in the French Guiana penal colony in the 20's.

Cheers,

RR
You want to read Henri Charrière's autobiography titled Papillon, mate. He was sentenced on Devil's island in French Guyana. This prison makes Alcatraz look like the Med Club.

Just about to complete this account. And while I find I riveting and compulsive, I also question some of the details as far as his memory is concerned with specific dates and times. Seems almost too exact, if you see what I mean.

Yes, Papillon may have a Savant memory as these are concerned. But I question if it's been enhanced by a ghost writer.

In any case it's a way great account. Thanks for the recommendation!

Cheers,

RR
I think I've read this book.

Does he effect an escape with two other prisoners in a boat and someone end up being shot?
Aye mate, summat like that.

Cheers,

RR

Just learned that the book Stick recommended highly in another thread called "Moonless Night" isn't available in our library system. I might be able to get it through an inter-library loan which reaches out to other libraries in a multi-state area. I'll try that first and if it doesn't pan out will try and snag a used copy off Amazon. Sounds like a great read.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":ct0rjm3l said:
Lord Guyrox":ct0rjm3l said:
Brewdude":ct0rjm3l said:
Just started "Condemned to Devi's Island" and it's proving to be a compelling read. Even though technically a novel (rather than an eyewitness account), it's based on interviews the author had with real convicts in the French Guiana penal colony in the 20's.

Cheers,

RR
You want to read Henri Charrière's autobiography titled Papillon, mate. He was sentenced on Devil's island in French Guyana. This prison makes Alcatraz look like the Med Club.

Just about to complete this account. And while I find I riveting and compulsive, I also question some of the details as far as his memory is concerned with specific dates and times. Seems almost too exact, if you see what I mean.

Yes, Papillon may have a Savant memory as these are concerned. But I question if it's been enhanced by a ghost writer.

Cheers,

RR
After I read your comment, I did some digging.
In a nutshell: a few months after the release of the book in 1968, his publisher, Robert Laffont, sent someone to investigate the truthfulness of Charrière's account. Obviously, there must have been a doubt!
As well, 2 books were published in 1970 challenging Charrière's book. It looks like he was a bit liberal in his account; among other things, he attributed to himself some actions that were, in reality, performed by others. Max Gallo, a famous French writer, was suspected to have given him a hand in the process - as in he wrote part of the book.
It would have been hard for me to know that now as I read the book at the age of 14 or 15.

Lord Guyrox":bnhjkp8l said:
Brewdude":bnhjkp8l said:
Lord Guyrox":bnhjkp8l said:
Brewdude":bnhjkp8l said:

Cheers,

RR

Cheers,

RR
After I read your comment, I did some digging.
In a nutshell: a few months after the release of the book in 1968, his publisher, Robert Laffont, sent someone to investigate the truthfulness of Charrière's account. Obviously, there must have been a doubt!
As well, 2 books were published in 1970 challenging Charrière's book. It looks like he was a bit liberal in his account; among other things, he attributed to himself some actions that were, in reality, performed by others. Max Gallo, a famous French writer, was suspected to have given him a hand in the process - as in he wrote part of the book.
It would have been hard for me to know that now as I read the book at the age of 14 or 15.
Thanks for the follow-up m'Lord.

In any event, I found the book hard to put down. And even if Henri embellished certain accounts, it's a very compelling and enjoyable read. Thanks for the recommendation, and I finished it today.

Cheers,

RR

Just finished "Player Piano" by Kurt Vonnegut, completing the text last week on his birthday. Started with "Sirens of Titan" by same author yesterday. I'm planning to work through his books chronologically, and listening to the Kurt Vonneguys podcast as I go along. Mr. Vonnegut was born in Indianapolis and there is a museum downtown in his honor. He's had quite an impact on modern literature.

Other books I have recently finished:
"The Room" by Hubert Selby Jr
"Full Dark, No Stars" and "Skeleton Crew," both of which are series of short stories by Stephen King.

I'm attacking The Penguin History of the World, Sixth Ed. That should keep me busy for a bit. ;)

Brewdude":bfq1yndl said:
Just learned that the book Stick recommended highly in another thread called "Moonless Night" isn't available in our library system. I might be able to get it through an inter-library loan which reaches out to other libraries in a multi-state area. I'll try that first and if it doesn't pan out will try and snag a used copy off Amazon. Sounds like a great read.

Cheers,

RR
Rande,

Let me know if you have any snags acquiring this title. I've just bought the copy for my colleague through the Amazon market place here in the UK; there were several up for grabs. PM me if you need a copy and I'll post one out...

D.

Stick":sa1icwjv said:
Brewdude":sa1icwjv said:

Cheers,

RR
Rande,

Let me know if you have any snags acquiring this title.  I've just bought the copy for my colleague through the Amazon market place here in the UK; there were several up for grabs.  PM me if you need a copy and I'll post one out...

D.
Thanks David. Looks like it might be a reach to get this in through the inter-library system loan. I'll lyk how I get on. And I can always look on Amazon.

Cheers,

RR

David, now have this coming my way through Amazon. Found a good used paperback, and should have it in a fortnight.

BTW, reading The Great Escape right now. Hard to put down and am about halfway through it.

Cheers,

RR

Just now finished "The Great Escape". Pretty cool to see the details in this, including and especially since it's a factual account. I've seen the movie several times and never tire of it, and while that's a dramatized account the real details are more interesting. Those men certainly had the Chutzpah!

Now reading Elmer Gantry, and not sure what to make about it yet. Might not be my kind of book!

Cheers,

RR

Stick":zqy48feb said:
Brewdude":zqy48feb said:

Cheers,

RR
Rande,

Let me know if you have any snags acquiring this title.  I've just bought the copy for my colleague through the Amazon market place here in the UK; there were several up for grabs.  PM me if you need a copy and I'll post one out...

D.

David

Received my Moonless Night paperback last week and completed it yesterday. It was very compelling and hard to put down. What an incredible and almost unbelievable account of the many escapes those brave lads made during their incarceration as POW's. And they pulled all that off right under the noses of their German captors with great ingenuity, skill, and bravery.

It's amazing more of them weren't executed, and while it's saddening to learn of those who were summarily done away with in defiance of the Geneva Convention, those that did manage to do a home run no doubt helped the war effort in many ways as they gave an account to their commanders.

Especially chilling were the appendixes where many of the inhuman practices of the Nazis were revealed in gruesome detail. That was hard to take in, even though I'd read similar accounts elsewhere.

All in all, probably the best account of escapes I've ever come across, and thanks ever so much for the rec. I know I'll be re-reading this again soon.

Now started "Hound of the Baskervilles", my first Sherlock Holmes mystery. Only a few chapters in and it's pulled me in lock, stock, and barrel.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":kgmk5jaj said:
Stick":kgmk5jaj said:
Brewdude":kgmk5jaj said:

Cheers,

RR
Rande,

D.

David

Received my Moonless Night paperback last week and completed it yesterday. It was very compelling and hard to put down. What an incredible and almost unbelievable account of the many escapes those brave lads made during their incarceration as POW's. And they pulled all that off right under the noses of their German captors with great ingenuity, skill, and bravery.

It's amazing more of them weren't executed, and while it's saddening to learn of those who were summarily done away with in defiance of the Geneva Convention, those that did manage to do a home run no doubt helped the war effort in many ways as they gave an account to their commanders.

Especially chilling were the appendixes where many of the inhuman practices of the Nazis were revealed in gruesome detail. That was hard to take in, even though I'd read similar accounts elsewhere.

All in all, probably the best account of escapes I've ever come across, and thanks ever so much for the rec. I know I'll be re-reading this again soon.

Now started "Hound of the Baskervilles", my first Sherlock Holmes mystery. Only a few chapters in and it's pulled me in lock, stock, and barrel.

Cheers,

RR
Rande,

Glad you enjoyed it. I found it to be a belting read. It has been tremendously exciting for me to take his book to Germany to recover his steps and then to take groups to Sachsenhausen, recount Jimmy's story, and then reveal to them that they were standing at the point where his tunnel exited. These chaps truly were a breed of their own.

Their war efforts during confinement weren't just limited to escaping. Whilst in Stalag Luft III (of Great Escape fame) and under the utterly brilliant leadership of the SBO, 'Wings Day', aircrew were interviewed to gather operational flying intelligence. This int. was then passed back to Blighty using a code system that was established by the prisoners in collaboration with MI9 whereupon it was used to refine operational flying tactics. You will no doubt remember 'Wings' as one of Jimmy's fellow escapers from Sachsenhausen.

Yes, their exploits were truly remarkable and hold a real fascination for me. My next book choice that I'm currently reading will therefore come as no surprise. I'm 1/4 way through it, and again it comes highly recommended...

Stalag Luft III: The Secret Story by Arthur Durand.

A highly detailed account of camp life that includes the Great Escape.  

I'm only 1/4 way through, but I've discovered a level of detail in this book that I've previously not found.

As an aside, I've found Amazon market place a great place to find these older books.  I picked up this one for approx. £3.50 delivered.  It arrived super fast and is in excellent 'as new' condition.

Stick":t6o0lpul said:

I'm only 1/4 way through, but I've discovered a level of detail in this book that I've previously not found.

As an aside, I've found Amazon market place a great place to find these older books.  I picked up this one for approx. £3.50 delivered.  It arrived super fast and is in excellent 'as new' condition.
That'll be my very next purchase then David. Thanks mate!

8)

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":l3j35mn2 said:
Stick":l3j35mn2 said:

8)

Cheers,

RR
Splendid!

Stick":wdxykhj5 said:
Brewdude":wdxykhj5 said:
Stick":wdxykhj5 said:

8)

Cheers,

RR
Splendid!
Just ordered a used Hardcover edition from amazon David. $12.48 + shipping.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":g183juyb said:
Stick":g183juyb said:
Brewdude":g183juyb said:
Stick":g183juyb said:

8)

Cheers,

RR
Splendid!

Cheers,

RR
Cripes, you were quick on the trigger Rande! I enjoyed an hour or so's reading this evening. I dropped my boy off at Cubs and then headed to the local pub for a coffee and a read before picking him up again.

Stick":8e8qi4jn said:
Brewdude":8e8qi4jn said:
Brewdude":8e8qi4jn said:

8)

Cheers,

RR
Splendid!

Cheers,

RR
Cripes, you were quick on the trigger Rande!  I enjoyed an hour or so's reading this evening. I dropped my boy off at Cubs and then headed to the local pub for a coffee and a read before picking him up again.  
Aye mate. Took meself right on over to amazon after your post, and before you could say "hey presto" t'job were done. Slick, innit!

;)

Cheers,

RR

Just about to start 'The Other Einstein' by Marie Benedict. About Einstein's first wife, Mileva “Mitza” Marić, who was more than the mother of their three children—she was also a brilliant physicist in her own right, and her contributions to the special theory of relativity have been hotly debated for more than a century.

Status
Not open for further replies.