What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually read the Great Escape a while ago. Interesting stuff!
Now busy with Terry Pratchett's Moving Pictures, then on to Irving's A prayer for Owen Meany. Can't wait, love his books!

I've immersed myself in the adventures of Sherlock Holmes for some weeks now, and just completed another book from the library that had "Hound of the Baskervilles" (which I'd read in a previous SH book), as well as 12 short stories. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Just took delivery of the book Sir Stick recommended - "Stalag Lurf III" by Arthur A. Durand. So that'll be next up after I thumb through a paperback on retiring in Arizona (for research purposes).

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":iqt7uzia said:
I've immersed myself in the adventures of Sherlock Holmes for some weeks now, and just completed another book from the library that had "Hound of the Baskervilles" (which I'd read in a previous SH book), as well as 12 short stories. Thoroughly enjoyable...
If you like Sherlock Holmes, I highly recommend The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes edited by Leslie Klinger -- it's an excellent three volume set. The first two volumes deal with the original 56 short stories written by Arthur Conan Doyle, and the third volume covers the four Sherlock Holmes novels. It's overflowing with notes that give background, explanations, and context for the stories and Victorian era setting. Also has the original illustrations by Sidney Paget from Strand Magazine, as well as period photos. I bought Vol. 1 & 2 from a used book store about a year ago, and just received Vol. 3 as a Christmas gift. I've been flipping through the third volume over the past few nights and can't get over how much more I like the stories with the annotations! These are kind of pricey, but it's really high quality publishing, in a large format hardbound books with slip-case.

On another topic, still working my way through Kurt Vonnegut's, having finished Mother Night, Cat's Cradle, God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, and Slaughterhouse-Five since my last post.
Also recently started The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout, PhD.

Adam

AdamCordray":7js6xzh9 said:
Brewdude":7js6xzh9 said:
I've immersed myself in the adventures of Sherlock Holmes for some weeks now, and just completed another book from the library that had "Hound of the Baskervilles" (which I'd read in a previous SH book), as well as 12 short stories. Thoroughly enjoyable...
If you like Sherlock Holmes, I highly recommend The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes edited by Leslie Klinger -- it's an excellent three volume set.  The first two volumes deal with the original 56 short stories written by Arthur Conan Doyle, and the third volume covers the four Sherlock Holmes novels.  It's overflowing with notes that give background, explanations, and context for the stories and Victorian era setting.  Also has the original illustrations by Sidney Paget from Strand Magazine, as well as  period photos.  I bought Vol. 1 & 2 from a used book store about a year ago, and just received Vol. 3 as a Christmas gift.  I've been flipping through the third volume over the past few nights and can't get over how much more I like the stories with the annotations!  These are kind of pricey, but it's really high quality publishing, in a large format hardbound books with slip-case.  
[url=https://i.servimg.com/u/f37]https://i.servimg.com/u/f37[/url]

Adam
[/quote]
Thanks for the tip Adam, I'll be on the lookout for that.

Just now finishing up Stalag Luft III which Stick recommended. Very in-depth and detailed account of the Allied POW flyboys. Thoroughly enjoyable!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":ycpkwir4 said:
Just now finishing up Stalag Luft III which Stick recommended. Very in-depth and detailed account of the Allied POW flyboys. Thoroughly enjoyable!

Cheers,

RR
I'm not too far off completion too Rande. This book has very much extended my understanding of life as a POW in the now infamous camp. Fascinating stuff, at least for a chap like me.

Long story short, a friend of mine is a galloping libertarian who can't say enough bad things about this man. I think he's deranged and wildly wrong, but I need some ammo for the fight conversation.

hamilt10.jpg
" />

Stick":2v1xz09a said:
Brewdude":2v1xz09a said:

Cheers,

RR
I'm not too far off completion too Rande. This book has very much extended my understanding of life as a POW in the now infamous camp. Fascinating stuff, at least for a chap like me.
David mate, we'll have to have a grand ol' chin wag about this over a pint sometime tha knows. Too much to go into here, innit!

Cheers,

RR

Finished reading "Tobacco Road" by Erskine Caldwell earlier this week. Very strange, dark, and somewhat depressing novel. I'll have to check out one of his other books - "God's Little Acre" next. Think I remember the movie and liking it many years ago, although I can't remember what it was all about!

Just about to finish the final chapter of "The Wooden Horse" by Eric Williams. Another account of POW vets in WWII from Stalag Luft III. This account is somewhat enhanced or fictionalized, yet is still a very interesting read. Are you on to this one Stick?

Up next is "The Complete Sherlock Holmes".

Cheers,

RR

Finished "Under the Dome" and am going to start "Revival"

I have a weakness for Mr. King. :oops:

Richard Burley":wpjwa2tl said:
Long story short, a friend of mine is a galloping libertarian who can't say enough bad things about this man. I think he's deranged and wildly wrong, but I need some ammo for the fight conversation.

hamilt10.jpg
" />
How has it been so far? This is on my list.

Brewdude":hsysgwb6 said:
Finished reading "Tobacco Road" by Erskine Caldwell earlier this week. Very strange, dark, and somewhat depressing novel. I'll have to check out one of his other books - "God's Little Acre" next. Think I remember the movie and liking it many years ago, although I can't remember what it was all about!

Just about to finish the final chapter of "The Wooden Horse" by Eric Williams. Another account of POW vets in WWII from Stalag Luft III. This account is somewhat enhanced or fictionalized, yet is still a very interesting read. Are you on to this one Stick?

Cheers,

RR
Hey Rande,

Yes, this book sits on my bookshelf and I read it several years ago. I have a 1949 edition that is looking particularly sorry for itself. Remarkable really that Williams penned it so soon after the war.

I'm interested in your comment that it was enhanced or fictionalized Rande. I can't remember the essence of how it was written but of course can remember the story, but am curious about which elements of it you thought were perhaps embellished in some way?

I've pulled the book out for reference and its sat on the table next to me now. Just flicking through the first few (very tired) pages I notice that Williams has another book to his name, 'Goon in the block'. Recon I'll be seeking that one out next! I'll keep you posted.

AdamCordray":6htxvcpm said:
Brewdude":6htxvcpm said:
If you like Sherlock Holmes, I highly recommend The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes edited by Leslie Klinger -- it's an excellent three volume set.  The first two volumes deal with the original 56 short stories written by Arthur Conan Doyle, and the third volume covers the four Sherlock Holmes novels.  It's overflowing with notes that give background, explanations, and context for the stories and Victorian era setting.  Also has the original illustrations by Sidney Paget from Strand Magazine, as well as  period photos.  I bought Vol. 1 & 2 from a used book store about a year ago, and just received Vol. 3 as a Christmas gift.  I've been flipping through the third volume over the past few nights and can't get over how much more I like the stories with the annotations!  These are kind of pricey, but it's really high quality publishing, in a large format hardbound books with slip-case.  

On another topic, still working my way through Kurt Vonnegut's, having finished Mother Night, Cat's Cradle, God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, and Slaughterhouse-Five since my last post.  
Also recently started The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout, PhD.  

Adam
I read 'Breakfast of Champions' and was not very impressed. Admittedly it is probably not his best work but have you read that on or heard how it compares with the others? Slaughterhouse 5 is on my must read list but it slipped down a few after reading BoC.

Stick":48xo77jo said:
Brewdude":48xo77jo said:

Cheers,

RR
Hey Rande,

Yes, this book sits on my bookshelf and I read it several years ago.  I have a 1949 edition that is looking particularly sorry for itself.  Remarkable really that Williams penned it so soon after the war.

I'm interested in your comment that it was enhanced or fictionalized Rande.  I can't remember the essence of how it was written but of course can remember the story, but am curious about which elements of it you thought were perhaps embellished in some way?

I've pulled the book out for reference and its sat on the table next to me now.  Just flicking through the first few (very tired) pages I notice that Williams has another book to his name, 'Goon in the block'.  Recon I'll be seeking that one out next!  I'll keep you posted.
David

My edition is a 1958 Copyright, and it has an introduction from Williams that reads thus-

This is an adventure story of the Second World War. It is my own story, but to make it more vivid I have told it as fiction and used the names "John and Phil" for my friends.

So I took that as not only re-naming some of the key players, but also to perhaps embellish the account as a way of making it more dramatic. And frankly, it's so incredibly detailed oriented that it seems a bit embellished to me as remembering the second-to-second happenings, conversations, etc, read as though the story line had been enhanced for the sake of reading like a novel rather than more of a factual account.

And of course, I could be mistaken. Perhaps Williams has a photographic memory of all of this and recorded it just exactly like it's told. In any event, it's held my interest throughout.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":4tzzeq27 said:
Stick":4tzzeq27 said:
Brewdude":4tzzeq27 said:

Cheers,

RR
Hey Rande,

Yes, this book sits on my bookshelf and I read it several years ago.  I have a 1949 edition that is looking particularly sorry for itself.  Remarkable really that Williams penned it so soon after the war.

I'm interested in your comment that it was enhanced or fictionalized Rande.  I can't remember the essence of how it was written but of course can remember the story, but am curious about which elements of it you thought were perhaps embellished in some way?

I've pulled the book out for reference and its sat on the table next to me now.  Just flicking through the first few (very tired) pages I notice that Williams has another book to his name, 'Goon in the block'.  Recon I'll be seeking that one out next!  I'll keep you posted.
David

My edition is a 1958 Copyright, and it has an introduction from Williams that reads thus-

This is an adventure story of the Second World War. It is my own story, but to make it more vivid I have told it as fiction and used the names "John and Phil" for my friends.

So I took that as not only re-naming some of the key players, but also to perhaps embellish the account as a way of making it more dramatic. And frankly, it's so incredibly detailed oriented that it seems a bit embellished to me as remembering the second-to-second happenings, conversations, etc, read as though the story line had been enhanced for the sake of reading like a novel rather than more of a factual account.

And of course, I could be mistaken. Perhaps Williams has a photographic memory of all of this and recorded it just exactly like it's told. In any event, it's held my interest throughout.

Cheers,

RR
Now that's interesting Rande.

Inside my cover of my '49, on the jacket it says 'The book is written in the third person and, for obvious reasons, some of the characters have been redrawn and their names changed. But the facts, down to the smallest detail, are true'.

Either way, the fact that they used a wooden vaulting horse to conceal the tunnel's trap and to tunnel from is true enough and I believe the 2 escapees made a 'home run'. Incredible when you think about it! According to the book Stalag Luft III the prisoners even constructed a similar tunnel by obscuring the digging by surrounding it with people during Apells! Imagine that! Right under the noses of the guards whilst they were counting the prisoners!

Fascinating stuff!

Now, what's next....!

Stick":qv1zlyoo said:
Brewdude":qv1zlyoo said:
Stick":qv1zlyoo said:
Brewdude":qv1zlyoo said:

Cheers,

RR
Hey Rande,

David

Cheers,

RR
Now that's interesting Rande.

Inside my cover of my '49, on the jacket it says 'The book is written in the third person and, for obvious reasons, some of the characters have been redrawn and their names changed.  But the facts, down to the smallest detail, are true'.

Either way, the fact that they used a wooden vaulting horse to conceal the tunnel's trap and to tunnel from is true enough and I believe the 2 escapees made a 'home run'.  Incredible when you think about it!  According to the book Stalag Luft III the prisoners even constructed a similar tunnel by obscuring the digging by surrounding it with people during Apells!  Imagine that! Right under the noses of the guards whilst they were counting the prisoners!

Fascinating stuff!

Now, what's next....!
Right you are Squire, and I'm suitably impressed as those chaps devised some very - shall we say - original and devious measures to fool the goons. How they or anyone could concoct such a ruse is beyond my ken!

Now, I have to ferret out a copy of "Goon  in the Block" since I'm on a roll here with escape accounts!

Cheers,

RR

Now deeply into "The Complete Sherlock Holmes, vol II". The old bean is reeling with the story/sub-story of "The Valley of Fear". Cripes, what a complete surprise to see it told in this fashion. Very riveting and I'm savouring every word!

Cheers,

RR

A little later than advertised;  I've just finished Stalag Luft III by Arthur A Durand. Very interesting and provided a great deal of detail. Durand regularly referenced other books and it is one of these that will be arriving at my work tomorrow, 'Escape from Germany - A history of RAF escapes during the war.' (Aiden Crawley).

Status
Not open for further replies.