What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am reading Iron Marshal and The Proving Trail, both by Louis L'amour. He is one of the greatest fiction authors to have ever put a pen to paper.

On the weekends, I often go for a walk around the complex while smoking a pipe. After the walk, I usually sit in my car and read a bit while the pipe finishes. Obvious not a time for deep reading, short essays work best. this month, in celebration of 'National Poetry Month', I've been reading the 'Everyman's Library' collection 'Killer Verse: poems of murder and mayhem,' edited by Schechter & Brown.

On the Genealogy of Morals, by Friedrich Nietzsche.

I began reading the novel Alamut by Vladimir Bartol, a story about Hassan-i-Sabbah, the "Master of Assassins" in Northern Iran in the middle ages. The story revolves around the group of girls he assembled as the "virgins of paradise" for his dedicated army of agents, as a reward for their pursuit of excellence in their craft. Having spent much time in the Middle East as a soldier, I find it absolutely riveting, and it has already shattered several of the pre-conceived notions I had about that part of the world and its history. Highly Recommended!!!!!!

Behike54":pqgtuhhe said:
lowflyingpenguin":pqgtuhhe said:
Just starting Zero History by William Gibson.
Have you read, Idoru?

His books set in the present or near future resonate with me more than his earlier work, thought this could be a combination of his writing evolving or my just my inability to suspend my disbalief. That said, it was never something I had a problem doing with PKD or KVJ. I dunno, I am just recommending it if you haven't read it, I guess.

Btw, just finished reading The Glass Castle. Lovely book that goes from the harsh brutality of alcoholism and its effects on a young family and how they not only survived, but rescued each other and redeemed themselves as a family. INCREDIBLE.

Also finished reading Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon AGAIN.

I am feeling the urge to read some Willaim T. Vollman; what, I don't know yet, but it's all uber-ambitious and great.

Yep , pretty much every Gibson is on my shelf and have been read at least once. I find his predictions of the near future are fascinating and surprising how some of them actually are or have occurred in some fashion.

Been listening to the audiobook Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow and reading The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris.

Currently finishing Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Great read. After that my next summer read will be Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler.

'Darkness at Noon' is a great if disturbing read. As for me, I'm currently reading Bordewich's America's Great Debate, about the Compromise of 1850

DrumsAndBeer":7lukgq3h said:
Currently finishing Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Great read.
One of the greatest novels of the 20th century, in my opinion--definitely a favorite. There's this simile McCarthy uses early on in the novel which was great, but being the novel it is, not particularly obtrusive...but then he re-used it a little later in the novel, and it gave me pause. I mean, why diminish the impact of the original language by recycling? It stuck out, especially, because BM is such a meticulously written novel, and I wondered why he had chosen to use the same simile twice...but then he used it a third and final time, and it somehow made it all work, in this ineffable way, grounding the themes of the novel, and its purpose, and creating this marvelous cadence...

I could rant about that novel for ages, and with far less eloquence than McCarthy, so I'll leave it there, but gottdamn, is it a great book.

I have never enjoyed McCarthy. I have a friend who is very well read (a professor of lit at the Air Force Academy, as a matter of fact) and he absolutely loves everything McCarthy has written. He recommended The Road, then insisted that read Blood Meridian and I just didn't care for either.

I just finished Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and I just started Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski.

Dave_In_Philly":yywnkrlg said:
I have never enjoyed McCarthy. I have a friend who is very well read (a professor of lit at the Air Force Academy, as a matter of fact) and he absolutely loves everything McCarthy has written. He recommended The Road, then insisted that read Blood Meridian and I just didn't care for either.

I just finished Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and I just started Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski.
Ham On Rye is, to this day, one of my sentimental favorites

I'm reading "The Hobbit" to my kids at night. We're just about through it and plan to go through the Lord of the Rings Trilogy next! Great books! Great movies too. I can't wait to see The Hobbit.

burning through books right now lets see,

Stephen King's "Wind Through the Keyhole"
Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises"
Dan Simmons "Flashback"
"The Titanic Tragedy" the further adventures of Sherlock Holmes
"The Sisters Brothers" author eludes me right now

And am currently plugging along on "War and Peace" by Tolstoy and "The Instructions" by Gurion Maccabee

Growley":iwvsuobw said:
I'm reading "The Hobbit" to my kids at night. We're just about through it and plan to go through the Lord of the Rings Trilogy next! Great books! Great movies too. I can't wait to see The Hobbit.
My father read the Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy to my brother and me when we where children. Its a very fond memory I have. I think your making a great impression on your kids. They'll thank you when they get older.

Dave_In_Philly":azaq8ide said:

Ham on Rye, now there's a perfect summer read. Never has there been a writer that has written more hilarious and insightful novels about the mundane. "Factotum" & "Women" are my two favorite Bukowski novels.

Have you read "Ask the Dust" by John Fante? It's an interesting read in the sense that it had a profound influence on Bukowski's approach to writing.

GrampaGrossbart":5e6qy75u said:
DrumsAndBeer":5e6qy75u said:
Currently finishing Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Great read.
One of the greatest novels of the 20th century, in my opinion--definitely a favorite. There's this simile McCarthy uses early on in the novel which was great, but being the novel it is, not particularly obtrusive...but then he re-used it a little later in the novel, and it gave me pause. I mean, why diminish the impact of the original language by recycling? It stuck out, especially, because BM is such a meticulously written novel, and I wondered why he had chosen to use the same simile twice...but then he used it a third and final time, and it somehow made it all work, in this ineffable way, grounding the themes of the novel, and its purpose, and creating this marvelous cadence...

I could rant about that novel for ages, and with far less eloquence than McCarthy, so I'll leave it there, but gottdamn, is it a great book.
Well I have not had much of a chance to reflect on Blood Meridian, as I am about done with it. Also I just don't have the words to accurately review it. But IMHO along with The Road, Blood Meridian has to be considered a true masterpiece of American literature. In my opinion aside from McCarthy's stunning grasp of vocabulary, I cannot think of too many other writers who have his ability to slowly develop incredibly colorful characters through the course of a story using for the most part poignant & gripping dialogue. This is something he did with razor sharp execution in The Road, a story where he never even gave a character a name.

I think comparatively The Road, All the Pretty Horses, and perhaps Child of God are much more accessible than Blood Meridian, but the layering of profound, brooding & nightmarish acts of human nature set loose upon the reader in Blood Meridian make for one hell of a thought provoking novel.

SmokeyTweed":nsqlj04q said:
Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises"
I really love this book. The Sun Also Rises, For Whom the Bell Tolls, and The Great Gatsby live permanently on my bedside table. I couldn't pick a favorite among them.

DrumsAndBeer":9yik7lja said:
Have you read "Ask the Dust" by John Fante? It's an interesting read in the sense that it had a profound influence on Bukowski's approach to writing.
No, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.