What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DrumsAndBeer":y6swhqhw said:
GrampaGrossbart":y6swhqhw said:
DrumsAndBeer":y6swhqhw said:
Currently finishing Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Great read.
One of the greatest novels of the 20th century, in my opinion--definitely a favorite. There's this simile McCarthy uses early on in the novel which was great, but being the novel it is, not particularly obtrusive...but then he re-used it a little later in the novel, and it gave me pause. I mean, why diminish the impact of the original language by recycling? It stuck out, especially, because BM is such a meticulously written novel, and I wondered why he had chosen to use the same simile twice...but then he used it a third and final time, and it somehow made it all work, in this ineffable way, grounding the themes of the novel, and its purpose, and creating this marvelous cadence...

I could rant about that novel for ages, and with far less eloquence than McCarthy, so I'll leave it there, but gottdamn, is it a great book.
Well I have not had much of a chance to reflect on Blood Meridian, as I am about done with it. Also I just don't have the words to accurately review it. But IMHO along with The Road, Blood Meridian has to be considered a true masterpiece of American literature. In my opinion aside from McCarthy's stunning grasp of vocabulary, I cannot think of too many other writers who have his ability to slowly develop incredibly colorful characters through the course of a story using for the most part poignant & gripping dialogue. This is something he did with razor sharp execution in The Road, a story where he never even gave a character a name.

I think comparatively The Road, All the Pretty Horses, and perhaps Child of God are much more accessible than Blood Meridian, but the layering of profound, brooding & nightmarish acts of human nature set loose upon the reader in Blood Meridian make for one hell of a thought provoking novel.
Ack, I'm late as usual...but yes to everything you're saying; such brilliant writing. The Judge is one of the scariest goddamn characters I've ever encountered, and yeah, I don't recall either he or the Kid being named at all, either, though I could be mistaken on that. It's undeniably a difficult read, every bit as much a puzzle as Joyce or other notoriously hard texts, but perhaps the most rewarding I've encountered...

The Killier Inside Me, by Jim Thompson.
I'd forgotten how amazing this one was, and is.

Finished Ham on Rye, moved on to Paul Auster's New York Trilogy. I also finished the first two Eragon books, and I hate to admit that I actually enjoyed them. I'll probably read the next two sooner or later.

puros_bran wrote:
Liking Captain Black has zero to do with the military industrial complex, the Illuminati, paganism, Jewish Bankers, or the Commish hating the Steelers...

This is the most outrageous, hilarious and wonderful snippet of writing I've seen on BoB for like. . .forever!! Memorable!! I love it!

Been reading A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis. Really enjoying it so far.

Finishing up "Darkness and Noon" and slipping into the arm cramping "Walking Dead Compendium 1." After "Darkness at Noon" my brain needs something a little less intense. A little zombie apocalypse action should suit just fine.

just finished Ken Follet's "Jackdaws" - thrilling from page 1 to page 600! took me all 3 days....

"The Night Manager" by John LeCarre'. I think this one may end up being my favorite by him.

Well after reading the "Walking Dead Compendium 1," I have to say that I am fairly confident that it has nothing new to add to the zombie apocalypse canon, with exception of being fodder for its successful television show. Nonetheless it is an entertaining graphic novel. The illustrations in the first book are really well done and then books 2-8 are not as refined (different artist). The characters are well done and the story unfolds with a good pace. It's a good graphic novel but very, very far from some of my favorites.

Moving on to Nevil Shute's "A Town Like Alice."

Started to read a SF book entitled Wool. Only 25% of the way through and the story is still in the development phase. So far it is a bit depressing post-apocalyptic view of community life living in an underground silo with no history of how it came to be.

Nearing the end of A Song of Fire and Ice Book 2 - “A Clash of Kings" by George R. R. Martin.

These are the books that were recently serialised by HBO under the title of the first book “A Game of Thrones". The 2nd HBO series of Game of Thrones parallels this book.

It's good guys, if you enjoy this sort of thing. I've just taken a short toilet break and used the opportunity to reload with coffee and Oreos. I am presently huffing on my Pete 03 loaded with a bowlful of Peterson Conniousseur's Choice......

Recommended for a light but exciting read. :cheers:

BTW the HBO series was filmed in Ireland - I landed an extra part In Series One but unfortunately missed out on the filming as we had booked a holiday at the relevant time. :(

Fraternally

Jers

I have seen the movie, I have even smoked the tobacco.

Finally getting around to reading the book - Dashiell Hammett's "The Maltese Falcon."

Nice way to wrap up my summer reading stretch.

Dave_In_Philly":aiacsg6w said:
Just started Hemingway's Boat by Paul Hendrickson.
I enjoyed this book very much. Not sure if I agree with all of Mr Hendrickson's theories regarding Papa, but a good book, nonetheless.

I'm currently reading Kydd by Julian Stockwin.

"The Long Walk" by Stephen King, a.k.a. Richard Bachman.

On to Suzanne Collin's "The Hunger Games." I am usually not on point with flavor of the month best seller fiction, but this one has been recommended so many times to me that I thought I'd check it out. Looks to be a quick read.

Just finished reading Mockingjay, the last book of the Hunger Games Trilogy. Interesting reads but for once the movie was better IMO.

docwatson":no8atqk2 said:
Just finished reading Mockingjay, the last book of the Hunger Games Trilogy. Interesting reads but for once the movie was better IMO.
So far so good with the first book. I just learned this afternoon that it was a trilogy.

So far with my summer reading list which included Blood Meridian and Darkness at Noon, I doubt The Hunger Games is going to top either of those in the well crafted novel department, but it's a fun read so far.

Thankfully I have not seen the film. Shoot I don't think I have been to the theaters to see a movie, not counting taking my kids to the Pixar stuff, in at least a full year.

Status
Not open for further replies.