What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fatman":3w8riaxw said:
Ender's game is perhaps my all time favorite book.
Good to know. I have been meaning to read it for years. Finally getting around to it. This is the first year that my little ones have become a bit more self sufficient and now I have lots to catch up on. :cheers: 

Harlock999":5yf2j5nn said:
Joyland
Stephen King
I was thinking of reading this, would you recommend it?

Fraternally

Jers

I recently read Stephen King's 11-23-63 and I highly recommend it.

Fatman":i0euh5ly said:
Thanks Fatman - I'm nearing the end of a novel and ready to start something good.

BTW the television series of Stephen King's 'Under The Dome' started this week on UK tv. I really enjoyed the book - one of the reviewers of 'The Dome stated that he just didn't want the book to end. I felt much the same way......

Fraternally

Jers

The Devil in Silver by Victor LaValle. Brilliant stuff, alternating between hilarious gallows humor and being creepy as hell...

Fatman":a3q7hifc said:
Presently reading and enjoying 11-23-63.

Thanks again Fatman.

Fraternally

Jers

I am happy you are liking it Jers. Stephen King can be hit or miss for me. I love his older stuff, and he went in an odd direction for a while that I did not enjoy, literature wise. His newer stuff I like as well.

John

Fatman":5jyge5e7 said:
I am happy you are liking it Jers. Stephen King can be hit or miss for me. I love his older stuff, and he went in an odd direction for a while that I did not enjoy, literature wise. His newer stuff I like as well.

John
I feel exactly the same way. The last few years he's really been back on the right track, at least to my tastes. I just finished Under the Dome, then 11/22/63, and will probably jump on Joyland soon (I've got a re-read of a crime/thriller series lined up first).

idbowman":ekoj54nx said:
Fatman":ekoj54nx said:

John
I feel exactly the same way.  The last few years he's really been back on the right track, at least to my tastes.  I just finished Under the Dome, then 11/22/63, and will probably jump on Joyland soon (I've got a re-read of a crime/thriller series lined up first).  
I will need to hit the used book store and see if I can pick up a copy of Under the Dome this weekend. Thanks for the insight!

Just finished - Blood Song by Anthony Ryan (similar to David Gemmel - well worth the read)

Just started - The Counselor by Cormac McCarthy. One of my favourite authors and this new screenplay is fantastic.......although I may be a bit biased. :D 

Fraternally

Jers

The Complete Sherlock Holmes, on Kindle. Haven't read it since I was a mere lad. Doyle is a better writer than I remember. Wonder if I had abridged versions back in the day, or something?

Soren Kierkegaard "The Sickness Unto Death"
William Faulkner "Light in August"
Geshe Rabten "The Mind and Its Functions"

Sherlock Holmes-Volumes I & II
Edgar Allan Poe Complete Tales and Poems (It's getting close to halloween)

Just finished "Spider Woman's Daughter," by Anne Hillerman. She is Tony Hillerman's daughter, who died in '08. She is picking up his characters Chee and Leaphorn and continuing the stories. She did an excellent job of it, too! I've always enjoyed Hillerman. The Indian stories (yes, I know "Indian" is so not PC, but), lots of history of the SW, legends and lore, and a great story along with it. I was worried she would screw it up, but it was a fine read.

For some reason I have been drawn to stories about bad things happening to parents of young children. First I read William Landay's Defending Jacob about a father whose son is on trial for the murder of another student, and then I picked up the The Boy in the Suitcase, by Lene Kaaberbøl, which I haven't quite finished just yet.

Suffice it to say, I am not a smart man. Every day on the train I have a minor panic attack that doesn't go away until I confirm that my kid is, in fact, safe at home.

Dr. Sleep by Stephen King. If you liked the Shining, you will love this new book!

3rd Book in the Game of Thrones trilogy A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

Babbitt, and dang the first part is dry at best, but it will hopefully pick up.
~Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.