What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder: have you tried buffing some of the pieces that have taken up color? Is it just in the wax, or is the wax helping the meer to retain the particles?
@Book, thanks for your interest. The way I understand it is the color you see is in the meerschaum, the wax helps bring the color to the surface, exaggerating the color that you could see before.

When I smoke the pipes more and more, the brown color shows when it is hot, then when it cools the pipe turns more white, which is it's natural color. Here is a picture of a pipe I've smoked several times after waxing, just smoked it in fact and let it cool. I buffed it with a microfiber towel.
20230709_203608.jpg

Here is what it looked like just after waxing.
20230701_100546.jpg

I don't pretend to know why the brown becomes white again, but the man I emailed at Meerschaum Market said this is natural for meerschaums after waxing. I smoke it as often as I can to make it turn white again! Which is the polar opposite of the patina effect. Anyway, that's my experience, and thanks again for your curiosity. I'm fairly curious about it myself. 🙏

Had a very busy day, so I took a forum break. I finished work for the day, fed Sleepy Suzy and Molly Danger, and then went outside to feed all the ferals. I'm nearing the last quarter of this bowl of year 2020 Mac Baren Scottish Mixture in a straight, smooth brown 1960s Lane era Charatan Special 38 bulldog with a black vulcanite saddle stem.
1960s_Lane_Charatan_Special38_bulldog.jpg

Half way through this bowl of year year 2014 Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match in a smooth straight brown circa WW2 Trapwell mountain laurel patent apple with a nickel band and a black tapered vulcanite stem. I'll end the day with this smoke.
View attachment 11089
Jim, so instead of briar, this pipe is made from mountain laurel root from the USA and do you notice any difference compared to briar?

Last edited:
Wrote the above a couple of hours ago but didn't post it. Mind was somewhere else, lol. Just fired up a bowl of Hobbits Weed in a Bjarne bent billiard with more Costa Rican coffee. Had to move to the front patio, already 90 out back. Gonna be a scorcher today, probably 100+. Just read will be 116 down in PHX. Pity those folks.

Half way through this bowl of early 2000s Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Jim, so instead of briar, this pipe is made from mountain laurel root from the USA and do you notice any difference compared to briar?
It's as sturdy as briar, a tad lighter in weight, and very serviceable. But, I have found that Edgeworth Match doesn't smoke quite as well in it as it does in briar. I have an LHS WWII era Mountain Laurel, too, though I have not smoked it.
LHS_ Americana.jpg