What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Criollo 98 ligero, Criollo 98 Ligero, 1lb

It definitely tastes like a cigar.
I haven't mixed it with your one sucker yet, but I'll try it. The head honcho at Fair Trade Tobacco says dark air cured is the "double-bass of blending ingredients." His recipes don't often use it for more than a condiment (one part in sixteen). The cigar leaf works well as a condiment and as half the blend, I did it with Virginia, and Virginia and Burley, both are good.
That explains why when I mix the raw uncased one sucker in with PA it packs a punch, but I like it.

Pearl of Shibam Red in a CAO bent brandy meerschaum. I made my first order of green coffee beans, I got Sweet Maria's stovetop roasting starter kit. I can do it on the portable gas range in the garage or out on the porch. If anybody's tried the stovetop method, send me some tips, I think it's just a popcorn popper that goes on the stove.
View attachment 11262
Charlie, although I haven't used this method, I'd keep it stirred well to avoid over roasting. Also, your musician's ear should quickly notice a first crack which is more bass and obvious. Then, you'll eventually hear a lighter higher sound second crack that will signal you are getting ready for the beans to enter fuller darker roast with some oil showing. That's a good place to stop and cool with a couple of collanders pouring back and forth between them. Once you get your desired taste dialed in, you can shorten or lengthen the timing for the second crack. I rest mine at least overnight to allow gassing off of the beans. Sweet Marias has bags with one way valves for this or you could use an old coffee bag that has a valve. Hope it turns out well for you. Please let us know.

Half way through this bowl of year 2013 Capstan Blue Flake in a straight 1924 Dunhill’s “Shell Briar” patent pot 7 with a tapered black vulcanite stem.
Dunhill_1924_ pot.jpg

Not far from finishing this bowl of Seattle Pipe Club Give Me Liberty in a straight smooth medium brown pre-1920 straight Marechal Ruchon & Cie. Royale apple with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite stem.
Marechal Ruchon & Cie. Royale apple.jpg

Part way through this bowl of year 2012 Rolando’s Own in a smooth straight early ‘60s Lane era “William Conrad” Charatan Executive Extra Large stretch apple with diagonal channel cuts on the lower right and left of the bowl along with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Conrad_apple-thumbnail copy.jpg

Ptarmigan Hiding in an SMS churchwarden meerschaum.
20230614_114345.jpg

Now smoking Calico Frog in a Savinelli Camouflage.
20230614_222015.jpg

My dad was released from the hospital, hurt himself on Friday, had surgery yesterday, and released this afternoon. On crutches, broke his femur up at the hip. Pretty bad fall, but it could have been worse!

My sister smokes cigarettes, and I had some rolling papers that came with pouches of Bugler I'd bought, so we started rolling pipe tobacco into cigarettes which worked okay, she preferred Virginia Burley to latakia and perique, lol, then I pulled out some of the shag cuts from GH that @WarneOut gifted me. That is what I'm smoking now, Kendal 7, in a CAO bent bulldog meerschaum. Yet to find out if she likes smoking the Virginias from GH. Everybody's helping my dad around. 🙂
20230616_182642.jpg

I'll use my ears and crank it, lol. Thanks Swede!

I get kind of a "meaty" taste when I smoke dark air cured, does your Tennessee homegrown smoke that way? Are they growing it for pipes, cigarettes, or cigars?
Glad your dad has improved. It is meaty in that it is fuller and heavier with strength. It is for mostly cigars especially for the filler and binder. Some may find its way to pipe tobacco. I know C&D buys from local suppliers, but some of that leaf probably comes from other states. Jeremy Reeves confirmed this (buying locally) at Muletown 2023, when I spoke to him. Tobacco is still pretty big in my part of the state. I used to grow it up through the 80's. I keep some local stuff around in my cellar.

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, chicken legs, green beans and baked potato dinner with strawberries for dessert. I've just over a third of a bowl left of KBV Mr. Christian’s Kraken Plug in a post-1938 pre-Republic Peterson Dublin straight smooth X155 bulldog with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite p-lip stem. Nigel Bruce smoked this model in two Sherlock Holmes movies. If you’re interested in getting one, please contact Smoking Pipes and ask them to put this model back into production.
Peterson_PR_Bulldog_XL155.jpg

The 01/301 is my favorite Peterson shape and that one has some beautiful grain which is almost impossible to find!

Great update!
Glad to see about Charlie's dad too! Thanks, and it smoked very well today. Here is the other side. It came in an older red/maroon box with yellow gold bottom with an old price tag of $79.
20230716_151202.jpg

Not far from finishing this bowl of year 2020 Mac Baren Scottish Mixture in a straight, smooth brown 1960s Lane era Charatan Special 38 bulldog with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink. Going to work now.
1960s_Lane_Charatan_Special38_bulldog.jpg

Yet to find out if she likes smoking the Virginias from GH
I use an injector to make my wife filtered cigs. Her and a neighbor's favorite is C&D Red Virginia Ribbon followed by Bright Virginia Ribbon, they're both too moist from bulk so I give them some drying time. Her mainstay from a price and ease of injecting is D&R Windsail Silver and to add a little strength I mix in 25% D&R Two Timer. Burley makes me sneeze so the ones with Two Timer are for outdoor use only.