What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning fellow BoBs. Had a fairly restful night. At least no middle of the night drama. Charlie did his usual Dad I gotta go out at 5am routine, lol. Then back to bed for an hour before he starts licking my ear telling me it's time to get up and feed him. Got that done, made coffee, settled on the patio with Zippos recipe Tumbleweed and CR coffee. Played fetch for a while, now settled down in my lap. Kind of a wet, gloomy, overcast day. Hopefully wife gets to come home today. Knew I would miss her, just didn't realize how much. Have a great day everyone.

Good morning,
Smoking a Design/Berlin Rhodesian with Casey Jones beyond brave blend,Mug of freshly perked DD coffee. I`m going out shortly for a walk,as they are predicting rain for the next 3 days! It`s a cloudy 40 degrees here.

Almost half way through this bowl of pre-2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am not far from finishing this bowl of year 2020 Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY Natural 4AB No. 6/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Lavazza Classico, neat, is my drink.
4AB_Nat_left.jpg

The temperature is a balmy 46° this afternoon, and I stepped out onto the patio to enjoy my 2nd bowl of the day. My next tobacco sample was Mac Baren Gold Extra in a Hardcastle's Crown bent billiard. I wanted to try a burley blend, and although it has Virginia in it, I think the burley stands out. I enjoyed it a lot. This was a tad moister than the Three Sails and along with the shag cut I had to work a little harder to get it started and keep it lit. But after a while, I was puffing along just fine. I definitely need to get my technique back. One thing I want to develop is a sense of what to expect in blends when they are described by the tobaccos in them. Tomorrow I'll try the aromatic blend I chose in my sampler.

20240123_150318.jpg

Near the first third of this bowl of year 2018 Sutliff Dunhill Elizabethan Match in a straight smooth brown 1960s-70s BBB Own Make 506 Canadian with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite stem. Working and listening to Eric Clapton.
BBB_Own Make 506 Canadian.jpg

Near the first third of this bowl of year 2018 Sutliff Dunhill Elizabethan Match in a straight smooth brown 1960s-70s BBB Own Make 506 Canadian with a sterling silver band and a tapered black vulcanite stem. Working and listening to Eric Clapton.
View attachment 15000
Hi Jim,

When you say something like "near the first third of this bowl" do you mean that you'll smoke part of the bowl and return to it later? Just wondering.

Thanks,
Les (Eutychus)

Hi Jim,

When you say something like "near the first third of this bowl" do you mean that you'll smoke part of the bowl and return to it later? Just wondering.

Thanks,
Les (Eutychus)
No. I am saying that's how far I am in to the smoke. I never put a pipe down until I finish my smoke. I know some people do, but I prefer not to leave it until later.

I took a Pride filled with GLP Kensington on the ride to vote in the primary and over to the box store for some groceries. I went through a Rob Roy filled with GLP Abingdon and refilled it with GLP Westminster. I'm enjoying it with a fresh cup of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffee and watching the primary coverage.
1000004170.jpg

Just finished smoking Jim's Virginia in a smooth brown 1976 GBD Seventy Six 256 lumberman with a black vulcanite saddle stem. My first Canadian-style pipe that I bought in 1982 as an estate for twenty bucks. Finished the last page of this story except touch ups, which I'll do later when the paper is dry. Later tonight, I'll go back to the story I was working on before I was hit with an emergency job that had an earlier deadline.
GBD_Lumberman_256.jpg

Good afternoon gents. Pre dinner smoke of Billy Budd in a Pete Xmas Milverton with French Vanilla coffee. Loaded this earlier but had to wait while I went to get wifey from rehab. I can tell my activities are going to be seriously restricted for the next month or two. Hope I can get our neighbor lady, Caroles friend, to come stay with her when I go to the ranch. Eutychus, if you want a good burley you might consider McB Burley Flake. I find it quite good.

After recently returning to pipe smoking after a long time away, I did a considerable amount of research, by taking note of popular tobaccos in this forum, and consulting TobaccoReviews.com (paying particular attention to reviews by our own JimInks). I recently purchased 1 oz. samples of 5 tobacco blends. I also picked up a couple of estate pipes. Today I was able to get out of the house to walk my "Giant" (over 7 lbs.) Yorkshire Terrier, which provided the opportunity to start trying out my purchases. First up was Daughters and Ryan Three Sails in a Barling Sovereign bent acorn. I enjoyed the straightforward Virginia flavor. Because of the fine cut, and relative dryness of the tobacco, it was fairly easy to light up and keep lit.

View attachment 14996
Cool pipe. I like acorns and Barlings.

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, wild caught catfish and snow peas dinner with strawberries for dessert. I have just under a third of a bowl left of year 2015 John Aylesbury Sir John’s Flake Virginia in a straight smooth light brown 2020 Ryan Alden Ace of Spades squat bulldog with a spalted pecan top and ferrule that’s attached to the tapered black acrylic stem.
Ryan_Alden_BD-left.jpg