What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went skiing late this morning, did the whole track 2.5 miles. I'll feel it tomorrow but it was definitely worthwhile. Had the remaining Va Slices in my Clarin this afternoon.
Clarin Cutty.jpg
Just setting up for a bowl of Old Professor in the Falcon. Finally have images, the battery doesn't appear to be the problem with the camera, though. I have a feeling there is a connection issue I cannot resolve. I cleaned the battery contacts but I still get "low battery" messages even though my voltimeter says everything is peak charge. Who knows, I'm a horticulturist not an electronics technician. Seems to be the winter of old stuff caving in though - dishwasher, camera, who knows what's next. I should start a pool, it might help cover the cost of replacing some of my old junk. :unsure:

Falcon Meer.JPG
IMG_0189.JPG

The 8deco tamper is new, too. Superior to my old Rattray's Slim Caber. The pick is longer with a blunt pointed tip and the "beaver tail" spoon is great for ember manipulation, I rarely have to use foot. It is well designed too. Larger than the Rattray's and vented so I have notably fewer relights.

A quarter of the way through this bowl of 2021 Watch City Simply VOriental in a straight smooth medium brown 1930s Wilshire 5 bulldog (Comoy’s second) made for John’s Pipe Shop in Los Angeles with a black vulcanite saddle stem. Off to work now. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.
 Wilshire 5 bulldog.jpg

Part way through this bowl of year 2022 Watch City Blue Ridge Special in a straight smooth ebony post-WW2 LHS Sterncrest 91 bulldog with a sterling silver band, a diamond shank and a tapered black vulcanite stem. I think Tomato the Brave must be an anti-smoker. I kept trying to fill this pipe with tobacco, and he kept trying to grab the pipe out of my hand. Luckily there was no damage to the pipe, the big goofball. :)
LHS_Sterncrest 91_bulldog.jpg

Enjoyed a tasty Envy apple, and am a third of the way through this bowl of year 2016 Sutliff Revelation Match in a straight smooth brown pre-WWII Kingsway (Comoy’s) London Made 61 Canadian with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Finished work for the day. Have one more page to do on this particular story.
Comoy's_Kingsway_Canadian61.jpg

Sleepy Suzy was hungry for wet food, so I put a few spoonfuls on a plate for her. She had taken a few bites when we got a sudden surprise. Sam the Scamp was hiding in the cabinet behind her, and came out growling (which he does a lot of), and wanting to eat Suzy’s food. Suzy freaked out and started hissing and hissing at Sam, who hissed back. Since we don’t feed wet food to him or Abner the Eager, I had to pick him up and put him in the den. But, Suzy was so upset that she couldn’t eat anymore, so I put the food up. Eventually, I got her to comeback and finish her meal. Sam came over to me, and laid by my side for reassurance.

Sleepy Suzy and me.
Suzy_HeadScratch.jpg

Sam the Scamp takes a nap.
Sam_Curl1.jpg

Passing the first third of this bowl of Wilke No. 515 Double Shot in a smooth dark medium bend 2021 Peterson Heritage Brown POTY 4AB No. 45/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. This is No. 515 with twice the rum of the Basil Rathbone blend. That'll do it for me today.
4AB_Brown-left.jpg

It's 49° and rainy, so I stepped out to the patio to enjoy my first bowl of the day with my 3rd tobacco sample: Sutliff Mark Twain in my MM cob with a slight bend. Choosing an example of an aromatic wasn't easy, there being so many to choose from. Coffee was Member's Mark Columbian Supremo. I couldn't get it lit at first, and the draw was barely going. At first I thought I had packed it too tightly. Eventually I realized that I had smoked it about 4 times with the Dr. Grabow filter that came with it. I pulled it out which solved that issue. I like Mark Twain, the tobacco flavor isn't obscured and the aromatic flavoring is pleasant. I will certainly sample a number of aromatics over time.

20240124_104929.jpg

It's 49° and rainy, so I stepped out to the patio to enjoy my first bowl of the day with my 3rd tobacco sample: Sutliff Mark Twain in my MM cob with a slight bend. Choosing an example of an aromatic wasn't easy, there being so many to choose from. Coffee was Member's Mark Columbian Supremo. I couldn't get it lit at first, and the draw was barely going. At first I thought I had packed it too tightly. Eventually I realized that I had smoked it about 4 times with the Dr. Grabow filter that came with it. I pulled it out which solved that issue. I like Mark Twain, the tobacco flavor isn't obscured and the aromatic flavoring is pleasant. I will certainly sample a number of aromatics over time.

View attachment 15018
Eutychus, if you want to try some fine aromatics give the CS blends a shot. Their Rivendell is great and I also like Choctaw. Sutliff Xmas Spice is also very good.

Very late to the table today Gents, we have been out all day visiting my sister, and her new doggie, a beautiful little chihuahua. I just loved him to bits. But Mrs Z kept looking at me and saying No your not 😔.
Anyway I'm home now, and I've headed straight to my den, where I've grabbed the nearest Pipe to me, which happened to be a Dr Plum Quintex. And I'm going to fill it with my favourite bakky, Hobbit Weed, gifted by my great buddy Ranger.
As I eagerly light it and enjoy that first anticipated puff. I'll wish you all a great day my friends 😊.
20220724_132613.jpg

Very late to the table today Gents, we have been out all day visiting my sister, and her new doggie, a beautiful little chihuahua. I just loved him to bits. But Mrs Z kept looking at me and saying No your not 😔.
Anyway I'm home now, and I've headed straight to my den, where I've grabbed the nearest Pipe to me, which happened to be a Dr Plum Quintex. And I'm going to fill it with my favourite bakky, Hobbit Weed, gifted by my great buddy Ranger.
As I eagerly light it and enjoy that first anticipated puff. I'll wish you all a great day my friends 😊.View attachment 15019
Lovely pipe!

View attachment 15018
Mark Twain is a standard for me, aromatic without being pushy. It's wonderful in cobs and also in meers. I'm enjoying your "re-education" journal.

Well, after taking care of the doggies and wifey, finally getting around to posting. Having my go to Cattle Drive in the Pete Pub with CR blend morning coffee. No ranch today, still getting the wife settled in. She is really enjoying having Charlie and Augie in her lap.
I'm happy to hear Carole has returned home, it can only be good for her recovery. I continue to keep you both in my thoughts. Sound, speedy recovery to you Carole. :coffee::giggle:(y)