What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now smoking year 2022 unreleased Sutliff Brown Virginia Flake in a 1920s medium bend smooth dark brown BBB Umbra bulldog with a tapered black vulcanite stem with an orific bit. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
BBB_Umbra_bulldog.jpg

Thus afternoon in the mancave. Beautiful 50 degrees in Fargo. Drinking Diet Coke, watching The Rifleman. 1/2 way thru a bowl of C&D Burley #4 in my Ben Wade freehand with acrylic stem purchased new by me in the 70s. #4 is a little too earthy for me, so setting it aside for C&D Epiphany in my Charatan Extra Large Distinction, Lane era, purchased by me in 74.
View attachment 16015
Those pipes are beautiful, man.

Those pipes are beautiful, man.
My Charatan Distinction DeLux, also a 70s purchase, has a grain that is perfect
I don't have a clue how Charatan didn't rate it Supreme, but understand they could be a little sloppy with grading. Going to fire it up after dinner. Thank you, as I know how you appreciate beautiful pipes. I have a number of Lane Era Charatans, a time in pipe manufacturing never to come again. Believe it or not, I never paid more than $50 for them T Diebel's, but that was employee discount price.
20240224_154540.jpg

Just finished smoking year 2012 Rolando’s Own in a smooth straight early ‘60s Lane era “William Conrad” Charatan Executive Extra Large stretch apple with diagonal channel cuts on the lower right and left of the bowl along with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem.
Conrad_apple-thumbnail copy.jpg

My Charatan Distinction DeLux, also a 70s purchase, has a grain that is perfect
I don't have a clue how Charatan didn't rate it Supreme, but understand they could be a little sloppy with grading. Going to fire it up after dinner. Thank you, as I know how you appreciate beautiful pipes. I have a number of Lane Era Charatans, a time in pipe manufacturing never to come again. Believe it or not, I never paid more than $50 for them T Diebel's, but that was employee discount price.View attachment 16017
Thanks very much for the great photos. Wish I could say I never paid more than $50 for a Charatan. I wish I had more of them, but I got what I could afford.

I've heard it said that the most accurate grading occurred before noon drinks at Charatan. I kind of suspect there's some truth in that.

I don't usually smoke half bowls, but this will finish the tin of year 2001 Murray’s Dunhill Navy Rolls in a slight bend rusticated 1979 Savinelli Estella 310 poker with a brown pearl acrylic saddle stem.
Estella 310 poker.jpg

Thanks very much for the great photos. Wish I could say I never paid more than $50 for a Charatan. I wish I had more of them, but I got what I could afford.

I've heard it said that the most accurate grading occurred before noon drinks at Charatan. I kind of suspect there's some truth in that.

I don't usually smoke half bowls, but this will finish the tin of year 2001 Murray’s Dunhill Navy Rolls in a slight bend rusticated 1979 Savinelli Estella 310 poker with a brown pearl acrylic saddle stem.
View attachment 16022
You know Jim, a 100 dollars 50 yrs ago would be closer to $500 today. They always gave us employees a 50% discount, or Diebel's cost. I think Fred thought that we clerks would sell more if we were smoking the best in his shops. Consequently, I have a lot of pipes I couldn't afford today. I guess the God of the pipe just smiled on me.

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, chicken legs and sugar snap peas dinner with strawberries for dessert. I'm closing in on the half way mark of this bowl of year 2013 Stonehaven in a 2002 medium bend smooth brown Rinaldo EGEA 03 Silver line spigot 10 with a black acrylic saddle stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.
Rinaldo EGEA 03 Silver line spigot 10.jpg

Legendary comic book artist Ramona Fradon passed away today at age 97. She was the co-creator of Metamorpho, long time artist on Aquaman and Super Friends along with pencilng stints on Freedom Fighters and Plastic Man for DC Comics. She drew the Brenda Starr newspaper strip for many years. In 1995, I was very fortunate to ink a Brenda Starr daily at the San Diego Con. I didn't have a brush to ink with, so Ramona gave me the one she brought with her. Mark Evanier paid me a high compliment when he said I came closest to matching her style. Some years later I conducted a comprehensive interview with Ramona in Alter Ego #69. For those who are interested, you can purchase a digital copy here, and read about a great cartoonist: https://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=123_139_141&products_id=563

Watched an episode of Nature about wildlife in the Rockies, and smoked a bowl of year 2014 Dunhill Flake in a straight smooth dark brown 1916 Barling The Hunt with beautiful silver work and a black vulcanite saddle stem with an orific bit.
Barling_Hunter_1.jpg

Part way through this bowl of Sutliff States of Virginia Limited Edition ’23 in a 2003 medium bent straight grain military mount Two dot 2 P. Ardor Venere Extra Bucaneve dublin signed by Dorelio Rovera with a silver ferrule and a black acrylic stem. Haven't smoked this great pipe in a long time. Running low on this tin, too. Watching the second episode about wild life in the Rockies.
Ardor Two dot 2 P. Venere Extra Bucaneve .jpg