What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit behind today as our WX is warm, clear, sunny with no wind!! Enjoyed a "small pipe" morning/early afternoon. Started with a 1922 DH Patent DR 7 bulldog (DH 1 or 2 sized) filled with 2008/2009 Charles Fairmorn Lancers Slices. Followed up with an old Peterson Deluxe, Peterson's of Dublin, Made in England full bent apple with the last of my Bell's Three Nuns Yellow ginnyweed. Dark, strong black coffee to make the day sublime!! FTRPLT

Oh wow Jim! I actually have a box of GW that's unopened. A buddy of mine acquired two boxes and sent me one. I was contemplating on opening it and rehydrating it if it were to need it, and try it out. I couldn't bring myself to open the box. I know it was discontinued in '74, the year I appeared on this planet lol. I think this box is from the late 60s, it doesn't have a bar code like some of my PA metal pocket tins do. I've always wanted to try GW. Anyway, thank you for the response. I need to reorder some more Deluxe Crumb Cut so I'll give Cut Plug Mixture a try. Thanks again Sir.
You're very welcome. You may find that your GW is different than what we made because at some point, the red Virginia was lessened, and some bright Virginia was added to the mix. That was the major difference between the 1950s version I had, and the 1970s production. Well, that and the fact that the cut had become ribbon instead of chunky.

The year GW was discontinued was the year I started smoking a pipe. I was thirteen years old, and Eckerd Drugs store had a can of it for $2.95. I couldn't afford it, and every time I went into the store, I dismally stared at the can I really wanted, but couldn't have. Sometime in either January or February of 1975, I saw that the can was gone. I felt badly about it. It took me many years to try the versions I previously mentioned, and I was glad I didn't buy it when I was a kid. I was too young to appeciate burley in the 1970s, with the exception of Amphora Original.

WC Deluxe Crumb Cut is an excellent blend. I have several pounds of it.

Now smoking year 2020 Mac Baren Scottish Mixture in a straight, smooth brown 1960s Lane era Charatan Special 38 bulldog with a black vulcanite saddle stem.
1960s_Lane_Charatan_Special38_bulldog.jpg

Now smoking year 2021 first production Watch City Simply Orange Virginia in a black sandblast medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY 4AB No. 182/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
4AB_Sandblast_left.jpg

I've enjoyed the bent MM Iconic Legend with the Pease blends and decided to approriate a straight Danish bit from a Legend and upgrade it to the Iconic class. It's an OK fit so I'm having Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia in my modified MM Iconic Legend along with a glass of homemade hard cider.

I opened a fresh Pandora's box today, I mixed about 1/2 an oz each of Smooth Black and Gold Cav and Byzantium in my quest for "Turkish Evening". Enough to have several pipes, tumbled it thoroughly. We'll see what I think in a week. Trying some right now in my little meer, it mellows the Latakia in Byzantium quite dramatically, sweeter - but the aroma still carries through. I won't be able to reproduce the cut of "Turkish Evening" it was a cube cut and that may have an impact. The SB&G is also quite moist in relation to the Byzantium, a few days will even that out a bit. I'll update this after my next bowl in a day or two. Wish me luck.

Attachments

• SMS Tomato.JPG
    SMS Tomato.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Earlier, I smoked a bowl of unreleased 2021 Sutliff VaPer in a mid-2000 decade Tom Eltang straight black sand blasted canted AJ Dublin with a cream and brown horn ferrule, and a tapered black acrylic stem.
Tom_Eltang_AJDublin.jpg

Currently, I'm just finishing this bowl of year 2016 Sutliff Revelation Match in a straight smooth brown pre-WWII Kingsway (Comoy’s) London Made 61 Canadian with a tapered black vulcanite stem.
Comoy's_Kingsway_Canadian61.jpg

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, giant rib-eye steak and baked potato dinner with a bowl of spumoni for dessert. I'm just finishing this bowl of aged Rattrays Hal O’ The Wynd in a straight smooth brown pre-WWII (Comoy’s) Corinthian De-Luxe 126 pot made for Sutliff in San Francisco with a black tapered vulcanite stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Comoy's_Sutliff_CorinthianDe-Luxe_126 pot .jpg

Wrapping up with Casanova in the Legend tonight. We are threatened with an Alberta Clipper in the next day or two, heavy snow, high winds. I'm not willing to put money on it though, it's been a very irregular winter, everything running South of us. You will likely get it WZ, you're not far away and Mother Nature has been shitting on America from a weather standpoint this year and certainly last. Bear up and I'll cross my fingers for you. Really appreciate those images of your ash tray, it was certainly made for some form of gathering place and has some art deco/jungle motifs, the stem and the four trays in green lend it a "tree top" style. It would go well with a floor standing lamp or two with tiffany styled shades. I'm a little jealous, it is splendid. Do you have all four trays for it?

BoB.jpg

Attachments

• MM Legend.jpg
    MM Legend.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Wrapping up with Casanova in the Legend tonight. We are threatened with an Alberta Clipper in the next day or two, heavy snow, high winds. I'm not willing to put money on it though, it's been a very irregular winter, everything running South of us. You will likely get it WZ, you're not far away and Mother Nature has been shitting on America from a weather standpoint this year and certainly last. Bear up and I'll cross my fingers for you. Really appreciate those images of your ash tray, it was certainly made for some form of gathering place and has some art deco/jungle motifs. I'm a little jealous. Do you have all four trays for it?
Maybe 3 inches here. We've had no winter, but can handle it. Hope it misses you. You get to Fargo we will share a pipe. Good night brother.