What Are You Smoking Pages.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just
If there's too many of mine in a row, I'll stop, and wait until others post.

Enjoyed a short nap, and am now smoking well aged Bald Headed Teacher in a medium brown, smooth octagonal paneled bowl and shank, medium bend 2016 Tim West Book Keeper 6 with a black acrylic saddle stem.
Just curious, do you do anything all day other than smoke pipes,, lol.

After lunch: Comoy Cask No, 9 in a Whitehall Algerian briar. Mild semi-aromatic may be a good choice for the beginning piper but not much to hold my interest. Won't be buying again.

Right now: Comoy Cask No. 2 in a Yves St. Claude bent brandy. Mild nutty taste reminds me of creamy chestnut soup. Not bad but another one that I won't be buying again.

After these lame bowls it will be time to pull out some Wilke with real flavor! Let's see - if I have two more pipes after dinner that will put in at just under half of Jim Inks daily dose!! ;)
Homemade beef stew for dinner then some Crystal Palace in the Design Berlin. Still nowhere close to you or Jim.

Jiminks, just contemplating as I finish up the Benediction and head in to dinner and a thought popped into my head. Question, just how many different tobaccos do you have on hand?

I used to smoke it occasionally back in the day (mid 70s) along with Run &Maple, SWR, Country Club, and London Dock ( a fav). Not sure how I would like it now that my tastes have matured. But I like CH, PA, and SWR so maybe would also like it. Not sure what Ftrplt meant by returning to normalcy, but glad to have you posting again. I have read a ton of your reviews on TR.com and they are usually spot on, giving consideration to personal idiosyncrasies. How about some pics of a few of the more vintage pipes? I'm still learning after taking up the pipe again 4 years ago after a 12 year hiatus and I appreciate all the info gleaned on here even if it is putting me on the road to the poorhouse, lol. BTW, nyc's Benediction in a Maestro de Paya bent bulldog.
Thank you for the kind words. I haven't photographed the whole collection, but some day, I will. I do post pics of the ones I have taken.

Jiminks, just contemplating as I finish up the Benediction and head in to dinner and a thought popped into my head. Question, just how many different tobaccos do you have on hand?
I've no idea. Never inventoried the "cellar". As far as open stuff, maybe 60-70 blends. I keep trying to get this to a more managable level, but reviewing ends up preventing that. Eventually, I hope to knock that number down by more than half.

Wilke 400 in a Design Berlin Siegfried.

For several weeks I was smoking almost nothing but Country Squire in the morning and Wilke in the evening. Took a few days to give time to other blends but now I'm back to my normal favorites. If I'm still around in ten years - and provided we can still enjoy getting boutique out-of-state blends like Wilke delivered to our front doors - I can envision 400 being one of my daily blends as I sit in my rocking chair on the porch thinking back on all the good things in life.

I've no idea. Never inventoried the "cellar". As far as open stuff, maybe 60-70 blends. I keep trying to get this to a more managable level, but reviewing ends up preventing that. Eventually, I hope to knock that number down by more than half.
Wow, 60+. I have trouble keeping track of maybe 20 open blends. Still have not gotten through the last batch Brunello sent me. How do you keep them all fresh? I find if I open too much they dry out on me before I can get around to trying all of them.

For several weeks I was smoking almost nothing but Country Squire in the morning and Wilke in the evening. Took a few days to give time to other blends but now I'm back to my normal favorites. If I'm still around in ten years - and provided we can still enjoy getting boutique out-of-state blends like Wilke delivered to our front doors - I can envision 400 being one of my daily blends as I sit in my rocking chair on the porch thinking back on all the good things in life.
A bowl of Wilke Crystal Palace in the Aldo Velani poker I got last week from Iwan Reiss. Very good. Will have to try more of the Wilke blends.

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, grouper and asparagus dinner with a small scoop of Dutch chocolate ice cream for dessert. I'm now smoking Sept. 2015 Savinelli Doblone d’Oro in a smooth straight early ‘60s Lane era “William Conrad” Charatan Executive Extra Large stretch apple with diagonal channel cuts on the lower right and left of the bowl along with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.
Conrad_apple-thumbnail copy.jpg

Wow, 60+. I have trouble keeping track of maybe 20 open blends. Still have not gotten through the last batch Brunello sent me. How do you keep them all fresh? I find if I open too much they dry out on me before I can get around to trying all of them.
I keep a close watch on them and double bag them.

Bru, read the reviews of 400. Says syrian latakia but Jiminks says cyprian. Which is it? Also says it has yenidge. Which I remember as being a component of BSOSM. Smoking Crystal Palace right now and can't imagine a blend getting much better. Your thoughts on 400 vs. CP?

Relaxing after a wonderful salad, grouper and asparagus dinner with a small scoop of Dutch chocolate ice cream for dessert. I'm now smoking Sept. 2015 Savinelli Doblone d’Oro in a smooth straight early ‘60s Lane era “William Conrad” Charatan Executive Extra Large stretch apple with diagonal channel cuts on the lower right and left of the bowl along with a black vulcanite double comfort saddle stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.
View attachment 689
Love asparagus with fish especially mahi mahi or salmon.

Part way through this bowl of year 2015 Sir Walter Raleigh in a black 1997 Brebbia Jubilee 925 silver banded grain sandblast briar calabash with a tapered black acrylic stem.
Brebbia_Jubilee_calabash.jpg

We had a pipe club meeting tonight with Zoom; it was our first meeting since COVID-19 hit the streets in March. Only four of us, but it's a start. Anyway, I smoked Wessex Burley Slice in three different pipes and never had bite. One of the pipes I smoked tonight was a Dunhill bamboo.

Dunhill-Bamboo001.jpg

A third of the way through this bowl of GLP Windjammer in a smooth medium bend straight grain 2001 Karl Erik Ekstravagant brandy with a leaf engraved silver band and a black acrylic saddle stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink. I'll post my final draft of this review this afternoon.

Now smoking Wilke No. 515 in a 1998 smooth straight Butz-Choquin Bistro 1501 pot with a black vulcanite saddle stem.

Did some snacking, and am a third of the way through this bowl of Wilke Lizzie Blood Virginia in a straight black with burgundy undertone sandblasted 1960s Lane era Charatan 420 billiard with a black vulcanite tapered stem. Community Coffee, neat, is my drink.

good day all, first pipe of my day, Chocolate Flake by SG in an old L. Viprati